SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which version of TSWSM are you looking forward to?
Version 1 156 20.77%
Version 2 79 10.52%
Version 3 29 3.86%
Version 4 77 10.25%
All of them 488 64.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-11, 01:04 PM   #856
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

Concerning career mode,

We are definitely looking into making ship-based and advancement-based careers an option, that way, if you want to start with a corvette and work your way up to a destroyer, than you can, or a destroyer to a BB, or a cruiser to a BB, so on.

or if you just want to start with the battleships we will have that option too.

we already have the Nelson in-game, and its a real heavy-hitter

but so far, a lot of the members are students, we don't have a whole lot of time to begin with, but we are working as much as we can
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 08:06 PM   #857
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

In case no one saw the thread in the fleet boats mod section, I am currently trouble-shooting a serious problem with my damage model - for some reason all the main compartments (on all playable ships) stopped flooding until they reached 100% damage. I'm making some progress, but so far it's burned two weeks worth of modding time :-(

As for the Nelson ...... Shammer is right .... I gave the damage model for this one and the armament special attention (it uses a 16 inch shell setup from historical data I could find). When I balanced the damage model, I setup 1 x KGV & 2 x Nelson class against AI Bismark ..... and the Bismark goes down. Reason I used 2 x Nelson class was that it was difficult to introduce the disability the Bismark had during it's final engagement (steering)..... but TBH, on the basis of all the research I did on BB vs. BB engagements, most pretty much came down to whoever hit first... most 14inch + armament could do critical damage to most BB's... so the adjustments in the damage model I made make each BB different, but the real deciding factor is still who lands first. Some are more repairable than others, which also helps differneciate also.
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-11, 10:11 PM   #858
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

well, in my back to work scheme of things, I decided to start extracting SHV models, which, I must admit, are wonderfully detailed for being of such a low-poly count.

the Komet!

the Penguin

The Bismarck

close up on the Bridge
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Old 03-02-11, 12:29 AM   #859
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Looking good! Next weekend we are going to go into 'warp drive' with this.

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 09:11 AM   #860
Briggadoon
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

yeah ´warp drive´, nice to hear that.
@polyfiller i hope you can fix the problems of your damage model.

i´ve just a question about the ship´s turrets and their crew:
is it possible to reprogramm the torpedorooms to turretrooms? (sorry i dont know the english names of the rooms, i hope you understand what i mean)
if you go to the periscope-section you have the same menu like the (on deck)cannon, except you are controlling the main-turrets. the front-torpedoroom is for the front-turrets, and the backward-torpedoroom is for the backward-turrets (for example: for the nelson the front-torp-room is for the first and second turret, and the backw-torp-room is for the third turret).
if it is possible so you can control directly the main-gun-section, the on deck-cannon-section and the flak/AA-section, so you have more control of your ship.
the on deck-cannon-section can be devided in two subsections for left side and right side/front and back.
the flak/AA-section can be devided in three to four subsections for front, middle, back-section for example

just a few thoughts about the ship-mod, because i don´t know which function the torpedorooms will have in a ship-mod (sorry for my bad english, i´m working on it)

you guys rock!!! i hope you will finish the mod, i keep my finger crossed for you!!!

ps: an other (short) question: some destroyer have torpedolauncher on deck straightened to the side of the ship, will it be possible to fire the torpedo not to the front but to the side?
Briggadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 12:41 PM   #861
ivank
The Old Man

What you are asking has indeed been discussed. We have decided that such would be very complex and offer very little in return. We will have a full 3D bridge though.
We later after v2 come back and add and edit certain things, but this is not set stone.

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 03-03-11, 05:01 PM   #862
polyfiller
Weps

Briggadon .... sadly the game enginre restricts / prevents us from controlling more than 1 deck gun station and 3 AA guns....... I think it would be possible to re-work torp rooms into gun stations ... but TBH don't see the point...... especially when you consider so many of the surface ship fleet had torpedo tubes themselves and I have modelled the number per ship and the damage / launch locations to be as close as possible to historical detail available.

What we have achieved with the damage model is you get an individual crew compartment and abilitty to repair each main gun turret, but you can only control one.

I once go the game to "glitch" and switch to a different gun turret when pressing the turret station button but have never got it to repeat this.

TBH, attempting to configure the damage model has lead me straight into so many hard coded features / values / issues that I sometimes wonder why half the values are included in the various config files ... because some are most definately useless (over-ridden by hard code).
Old 03-03-11, 05:12 PM   #863
polyfiller
Weps

And Ivan / Shammer ...... I am making progress with the sinking issue debugging ..... but am getting very inconsistent results and still can't nail down the cause.... I think I'm close... I've got the admiral sheer back to the point where it's main compartments flood and you can repair them and they empty i.e. you don't sink ........ but every now and then I run a test and the symptoms return ...... it's really difficult to troubleshoot because it's obviously trigerred by an enemy shell hitting part of my damage model which triggers the issue .......... trouble is, I can't control which parts of the model they hit during each test.
Old 03-10-11, 04:19 PM   #864
Briggadoon
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

hi guys,
any news so far?
Briggadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 05:12 PM   #865
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
e .......... trouble is, I can't control which parts of the model they hit during each test.
thats always been a problem. The game is just TOO GOOD at being random XD

Briggadoon, I'm heading to Ivan's place tonight (we live close by)
and we are going to work on some stuff this mod needs to get really going again.
Old 03-11-11, 03:30 AM   #866
ivank
The Old Man

Some serious mod work is going down here on Long Island!

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 03-11-11, 04:44 PM   #867
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

I'm coming across this way late in the game it seems but I'm really excited about a WW2 surface warfare mod.

Is there a website for the mod?
Old 03-12-11, 10:35 AM   #868
chrysanthos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 488

my dear friends when this baby is ready all hell its going to break loose
chrysanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:12 AM   #869
polyfiller
Weps

Given the cr*p the game engine is causing me over the damage model ... it already has :-(
Old 03-14-11, 02:36 PM   #870
Captain MAXIM
Swabbie

Downloads: 72
I know it's too early to talk about it,but when can we expect the release?
Captain MAXIM is offline   Reply With Quote