SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-15, 11:27 AM   #841
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1940 - Batman Comics, mobsters rubbed out a circus highwire team known as the Flying Graysons, leaving their son Dick (Robin) an orphan.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-15, 11:14 PM   #842
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default A called shot is a called shot!

1990: Dave Stewart and Fernando Valenzuela pitch two 'no-hitter' baseball games on the same day a feat accomplished only one other time in professional baseball (1898). Thirty minutes before the Dodgers faced the St. Louis Cardinals , Fernando Valenzuela noticed on a clubhouse television set that Oakland pitcher Dave Stewart had thrown a no-hitter in Toronto. Fernando turned to some teammates and he said, 'That's great, now maybe we'll see another no-hitter,' Valenzuela then pitched as well as he predicted, throwing the first no-hitter of his career in a 6-0 victory.
It was the first (and only) time in the modern baseball era that two no-hitters have been pitched on the same day. ''Fernando even said after watching it on TV, he said there might be another one tonight,'' Tommy Lasorda, the Dodgers' manager, said. ''So that was a pretty good prediction.'' It was a joke, Valenzuela insisted. ''Yeah,'' Lasorda said, ''but it happened.''

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-15, 07:08 AM   #843
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1934 - "Night of Long Knives" - Hitler stages bloody purge of Nazi party.

Old 07-01-15, 06:28 AM   #844
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1921 - The Communist Party of China is founded.

Old 07-01-15, 04:29 PM   #845
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default No way to enter Valhalla

1912: Harriet Quimby, the first woman to fly the English Channel in 1912, an first licensed woman pilot in the US( lic. # 37) is killed along with her passenger at the Third Annual Boston Aviation Meet. William Willard, the organizer of the event, was a passenger in her brand-new two-seat?? Bleriot monoplane. At an altitude of 1,500 feet (460 m) the aircraft unexpectedly pitched forward for reasons still unknown. Then the unbelievable and horrifying occurred. Willard was seen to hurtle clear over the nose of the plane, followed a second or two later by Quimby. Both plunged into the muddy river 1,000 feet below which, with the tide out, was barely three or four feet. deep. Death was instantaneous. Ironically, the plane recovered from its dive, crash-landed in the river and, tripped by its landing gear, flipped upside down with only minor damage. It was intact enough for a thorough inspection of its controls. Both Willard and Quimby were ejected from their seats and fell to their deaths, while the plane "glided down and lodged itself in the mud".
Harriet Quimby was buried in the in the Kensico Cemetery in Valhalla, New York http://www.historynet.com/harriet-quimby-first-licensed-us-woman-pilot.htm

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 07-02-15, 09:03 AM   #846
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 - Hitler orders invasion of Britain (Operation Sealion).

Old 07-03-15, 07:34 AM   #847
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1943 - Liberator bombers sink U-628.

Old 07-03-15, 12:16 PM   #848
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default History changes course: two Georges having a good day

1775; General George Washington assumes command of the Continental army at Cambridge Massachusetts: 1863: Pickett's Charge is repulsed at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania due in no small part to George Armstrong Custer throwing his Michigan Brigade headlong Into J.E.B. Stuart's entire Cavalry Command "the Invincibles" sent to reinforce the Confederate infantry in a rear attack on the Union position..."Come on! you Wolverines!"Neither cavalry foe slowed, in fact they accelerated when engagement was imminent. The smashing of men and horses into each other at full speed resulted in many horses being upended and many Troopers, from both sides, were killed or injured by them. During the melee General Custer had his second horse of the day shot out from under him. Custer knew the Rebel advance had to be stopped at all costs. He didn’t order his men into a known high casualty fight. He LED them. The best day of his career IMHO.

Old 07-04-15, 07:00 AM   #849
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1776 - US Congress proclaims the Declaration of Independence and independence from Britain.

Old 07-04-15, 07:50 AM   #850
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

A mere formality!

Old 07-06-15, 11:17 AM   #851
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default A close shave for all seasons!

1535: Sir Thomas More is executed for high treason.When he came to mount the steps to the scaffold, he is widely quoted as saying (to the officials): "I pray you, I pray you, Mr Lieutenant, see me safe up and for my coming down, I can shift for myself"; while on the scaffold he declared that he died "the king's good servant, but God's first." THE epitome of in-your-face Kool IMHO! Another comment he is believed to have made to the executioner is that his beard was completely innocent of any crime, and did not deserve the axe; he then positioned his beard so that it would not be harmed. He was buried at the Tower of London, in the chapel of St Peter ad Vincula in an unmarked grave...not far from Anne Boleyn! His head was fixed upon a pike over London Bridge for a month, according to the normal custom for traitors. His daughter Margaret Roper rescued it, possibly by bribery, before it could be thrown in the Thames River. It is believed to be in the Roper family Crypt. A Man for All Seasons, Saint, and Man of many parts!

Old 07-06-15, 02:20 PM   #852
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1919 - British R-34 lands in NY, 1st airship to cross Atlantic (108 hr).

1942 - Anne Frank's family goes into hiding in After House, Amsterdam.

Old 07-07-15, 05:56 AM   #853
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

2005 - Coordinated terrorist bomb blasts strike London's public transport system during the morning rush hour killing 52 and injuring 700.

Old 07-08-15, 09:35 AM   #854
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1988 - Stevie Wonder announces he will run for mayor of Detroit in 1992.

1994 - Preliminary trial rules there is enough evidence to try OJ Simpson.

2011 - Space Shuttle Atlantis is launched in the final mission of the U.S. Space Shuttle program.

Old 07-09-15, 08:56 AM   #855
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

1965: Sonny and Cher's "I got you Babe" is released; 1995: Jerry Garcia performs for the last time at Chicago's Soldier Field with the Grateful Dead...Any DEADHEADS out there? the last concert:https://archive.org/details/gd1995-07-09.schoeps.wklitz.95444.flac1648