SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-16, 11:24 AM   #736
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Well, I agree that MS is not to be trusted. I'm installing updates that are Important and not on the list of KB's to avoid.

When these two Win 7 computers eventually die, other operating systems like Linux will be advanced enough to handle anything. According to RR he can run just about anything now.

I like Win 7, it is the best OS that Microsoft has made, imo. I also like Office 2003, the best Office product, imo. Nothing is in 'the cloud', it's on my HD's.

Not that I'm doing anything wrong, but the Gov't has to do a little extra work to see what I'm doing. Yes, they can read all of my posts and emails, watch me on social media etc. Let them.

I openly fight against the NDAA that has gone too far, imo, and firmly believe in Benjamin Franklin's wise words to our Republic many years ago:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I'm with you Skybird.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 06:08 AM   #737
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Updated the PC at work which was running Windows 8 to Windows 10. At least I can work with the damn thing now after getting rid of some of the annoying feats like those tiles in the ** start button and crap they cramped onto the taskbar I don't need. (and simple things like the calculator no longer take up the whole screen!)

So I'd say at least from my PC at Work perspective it's an improvement.
Old 05-20-16, 09:55 AM   #738
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Updated the PC at work which was running Windows 8 to Windows 10. At least I can work with the damn thing now after getting rid of some of the annoying feats like those tiles in the ** start button and crap they cramped onto the taskbar I don't need. (and simple things like the calculator no longer take up the whole screen!)

So I'd say at least from my PC at Work perspective it's an improvement.
Yes, if you got sucked into the Windows 8 trap there's only one way to partial usefulness and that's Windows 10. There are still a few legitimate Windows 7 OEM packages out there for about $65, which I think is money well spent. I've done that for three customers when I built them a computer and all were very happy.

You have to manually activate the software by calling the 800 number, but it's a straightforward and simple process that takes about five minutes. Then you have Microsoft's last REAL operating system.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-16, 01:56 PM   #739
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Is Microsoft forcing Win7 customers to upgrade to Win10?

Timely question from KC:

Have you heard of Microsoft forcing Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10? It seems to have happened on my home computer yesterday.

Every recent case I’ve seen involved clicking “Yes” at some point – at least on an End User License Agreement.

I haven’t seen a screenshot of the new EULA, but I suspect it’s sneaky – it asks you to accept the EULA for Win10, without explicitly saying that you’re giving permission to upgrade to Win10.

The “Get Windows 10” notifications are now all over the place – some ask you to click, in order to upgrade; others will just upgrade you unless you click on a small link that’s buried in the text. It’s a deceptive practice that’s beneath Microsoft – right up there with the Scroogled ads.
Anyway, now that you’ve upgraded, you’re in good shape. You can roll back to Win7 if you like, and at any point in the future if you decide you want Win10, you’re already approved for a free upgrade.
http://www.askwoody.com/2016/is-micr...rade-to-win10/

I would not put anything pass MS the sneaky underhanded so and so's.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 10:29 AM   #740
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Thanks Steed, I see we're at 'DEFCON 2' now .... So far, 'GWX Control Panel' and vigilance are fending off the sneaky 'so & so's'
Quote:
MS-DEFCON 2:
Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have
an immediate, pressing need to install a
specific patch, don't do it
-
Nice find Onkel Neal, Thanks!

Last edited by aanker; 05-21-16 at 10:51 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 10:33 AM   #741
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

How to stay on Windows 7 & 8 forever: here's how to stop the Windows 10 upgrade notifications

Quote:
In just a couple of months, Microsoft's free upgrade offer is due to end but we're all waiting to see if that actually happens. If it does, those Windows 10 upgrade notifications might cease. But of course they won't: Microsoft will simply want to you pay to upgrade after 29 July 2016.
Old 05-21-16, 10:50 AM   #742
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Anybody heard about Windows 11 yet?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 11:20 AM   #743
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Yes..

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 05-21-16, 12:15 PM   #744
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Windows 10--the New Coke of the 2010's
Old 05-21-16, 04:10 PM   #745
STEED
Lucky Jack

Bloody Heck I just got a ear bashing from a mate on the phone!

Don't blame me for what Microsoft did!

Between the colourful language and ranting to kill Microsoft it seems his Win7 has been downgraded to Win10. I can't give a fuller account as he said he was going out to the pub to drown himself in beer before he put the phone down.

Old 05-22-16, 06:11 AM   #746
STEED
Lucky Jack

Just got off the phone my mate is going to try to upgrade back to Win7 some time today.

Old 05-22-16, 04:13 PM   #747
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Its known since years that there will be no Win11, and that Win10 will be the last Windows release Microsoft did. At least that is their announced policy and plan. From then on it is only a cloud service, with pressing people to not only store data and software in the cloud, preferrably Microsoft servers, but the OS of POCs itself also will be a service stored and on every sytem start accessed and download via the cloud.

Shytti times ahead, I say. Total dependency and total vulnerability, combined in one solution.

Even worse: MS has signed alliances with hardware manufacturers that latest new high performance chips and hardware will be blocked via codes and onboardf sofrware (ROM) to work with lower OS than Win10. That means the hardware is not incompatible with W7 or W8, but it is artificially blocked to work with W7 or W8.

Shytti solutions from a shytti company. To hell with MS. May their HQ and server centres go up and burn down in flames. Maybe this would get people start using their brains again - but I would not bet on it.

It also has a terribly deep-rooting political implication, because the IT infrastructure of the world basing on a company's good will and its policies and never a publicly legitimized board of dirctors of said company is the most perfect coup d'etat that I can think of. If this system is in bed with the already corrupted poltical establishement, freedom and "democracy" are being turned into alibi propaganda stunts completely.

People get what they deserve. And I cannot see many deserving real freedom anymore. serfdom is much more what most people suits well these days. And they like it. The saying goes that everyone has his price. If that is true, most people can be had ridiculously cheap.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-22-16 at 04:22 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-16, 08:24 PM   #748
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

It doesn't really matter. People and companies will always exist which insist on independence as the only true security. That means having total control over what software is allowed to run on their machine. It means that all data must be locally stored - - no cloud. These people will be provided with access to suitable hardware and software simply because it will always be profitable to do so. The only question is who will do that.

The latest generation of AMD motherboards are very friendly to Windows 7 and they aren't slouches for speed either. Even with a Windows 10 install you can have one key access to the BIOS. During my little trip to the dark side I was very encouraged by the amount of freedom I could retain even with the Kryptonite Windows the poor customer insisted on.
Old 05-22-16, 09:13 PM   #749
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Last month I had to take my computer to my local MS store to get 8.1 repaired and have a virus removed that no antivirus software I have could find and remove. They had my computer for a weekend and when I picked it up they said they gotten everything fixed. I got it home and fired it up only to find they upgraded my computer to Windows 10.... WITHOUT my permission. That was their so called fix. So back it went and after suggesting a lawsuit they rolled it back to 8.1 with no fix.

A friend of mine that runs a mom and pop autoparts store had his 2 store computers running Windows 7 automaticly upgrade to 10 after starting them one morning. No asking if he wanted to upgrade or not... it was done without his permission.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-16, 05:47 AM   #750
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
A friend of mine that runs a mom and pop autoparts store had his 2 store computers running Windows 7 automaticly upgrade to 10 after starting them one morning. No asking if he wanted to upgrade or not... it was done without his permission.
From what I've red and seen it myself on my work PC the latest ''Upgrade to Win 10 pop up'' will give you 10-13 minutes to decline or else it takes it as a Yes and goes ahead upgrading. (best part is the decline button is hidden in the ''more info'' button)

So if your friend leaves that computer running the whole day there's a fat chance that might've happened.

http://betanews.com/2016/03/13/micro...thout-consent/

If you don't want to update to 10 you should just get rid of that KB update that installed that ''Upgrade to Win10'' Pop up and chuck the Windows Update from automatically to off. It's stupid you have to do that but as you're forced to do so as Microsoft doesn't take a clear NO for an answer you're left without a choice really.

Tags
windows