Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-24, 09:31 AM   #736
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

EU ministers to meet Israeli and Palestinian top diplomats on Monday

Quote:
EU foreign ministers will hold a series of meetings on Monday with counterparts from Israel, the Palestinian Authority and key Arab nations about the war in Gaza and prospects for a future peace settlement, reports AFP citing official sources.

The Israeli foreign minister, Israel Katz, and his Palestinian counterpart, Riyad al-Maliki, are not expected to meet each other.

The foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia will also meet European ministers in Brussels. According to AFP, European diplomats said their aim is to sound out each side over ways to end the violence on the ground and the next steps towards a longer-term solution.

The EU has struggled for a united stance on the conflict in Gaza as staunch backers of Israel such as Germany have rejected demands for an immediate ceasefire from the likes of Spain and Ireland.

EU officials have sketched out broad demands for “the day after” the current war ends in Gaza, calling for no long-term Israeli occupation, an end to Hamas’s rule and a role for the Palestinian Authority in running the territory.

The 27-nation bloc, along with the US, believes the creation of a Palestinian state remains the only viable way to secure a lasting peace. But Israel’s rightwing prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, on Thursday flatly rejected that suggestion.

In the face of growing violence across the region, EU countries this week gave initial backing to setting up a naval mission to help protect shipping in the Red Sea from attacks by Yemen’s Houthi.

A proposal for deployment says it could have three frigates and a mandate to defend ships, but not attack the Houthis onshore, like a US-led coalition operating in the region. EU ministers meeting on Monday are set to discuss the mission, but it is only expected to be finalised next month.

The Netherlands and Germany have said they are willing to contribute ships to mission.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)

Last edited by Jimbuna; 01-19-24 at 09:57 AM.
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 08:07 AM   #737
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Senior Iran Revolutionary Guard officials killed in Syria strike blamed on Israel

Quote:
Four senior members of Iran's security forces have been killed in a suspected air strike on the Syrian capital.

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard blamed Israel for the attack, which it said killed four military advisers as well as a number of Syrian forces.

Israel has not commented. For years it has carried out strikes on Iranian-linked targets in Syria.

Such strikes have intensified since the Israel-Gaza war began following Hamas's 7 October attacks on Israel.

Senior figures among the Revolutionary Guard - a major military, political and economic force in Iran - have been present in Syria since the civil war began there in 2011, helping to support the regime of President Bashar al-Assad against widespread rebellion to his rule.

Saturday's attack is understood to have taken place in the Mazzeh neighbourhood, south-west Damascus, an area home to a military airport, as well as the UN headquarters in Damascus, embassies and restaurants.

A resident told AFP news agency that they saw "explosions" in the western Mazzeh area and "a large cloud of smoke".

"The sound was similar to a missile explosion, and minutes later I heard the sound of ambulances," he added.

Iran's semi-official Mehr news agency said the attacks killed the IRGC's Syria intelligence chief, his deputy, as well as two other Guard members.

The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency quoted a military source saying it had managed to stop some of the missiles, but that the attacks had killed some people, and "injured a number of civilians". Buildings were also destroyed, it said.

Videos, which the BBC has not verified, showed a large cloud of smoke and buildings destroyed.

Last month a suspected Israeli air strike just outside Damascus killed a senior IRGC commander.

The Middle East has been on heightened alert since 7 October, when Hamas launched an attack on southern Israel, killing around 1,300 people, mainly civilians, and taking 240 hostages back to Gaza. More than 132 hostages are thought to still be held in the territory.

More than 24,900 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched its military response, according to the Hamas-run health ministry. Israel says its ground and air operation in Gaza is aimed at destroying Hamas.

The conflict has raised concerns about a wider war spreading around the region, particularly between fierce rivals Israel and Iran, and amid a series of overlapping crises.

Israel is targeting the Palestinian group Hamas, which is supported by Tehran. It is also exchanging fire with Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Iran-backed groups in Iraq and Syria are also targeting US forces in the region, and the US and UK have struck the Houthis - another Iran-backed group - in Yemen, who have been attacking ships in the Red Sea.

Fears about an even wider conflict were further heightened this week, when Iran exchanged strikes with its neighbour Pakistan.

On Tuesday, Iran admitted carrying out a missile and drone attack in south-western Pakistan, killing two children, saying it was targeting an "Iranian terrorist group" in Pakistan.

Days later, Islamabad hit back, launching strikes it said were targeting "terrorist hideouts" in south-eastern Iran, killing nine people.

Although both sides insisted they were targeting militant bases in each other's countries, Iran and Pakistan withdrew their ambassadors from the respective capitals.

But following talks, diplomatic ties were restored.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68040493

Old 01-20-24, 08:15 AM   #738
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 254
Uploads: 0

Israel financed Hamas to weaken the Palestinian Authority, Josep Borrell claims

"We believe that a two-state solution should be imposed from the outside to bring peace," Borrell explained.

"But I insist, Israel, by continuing to reject this solution, has gone as far as to create Hamas themselves. Yes, Hamas has been financed by the Israeli government in an attempt to weaken the Palestinian Authority led by Fatah," he added.

"If we don't intervene strongly, the spiral of hate and violence will continue from generation to generation, from funeral to funeral, when the seeds of hate that are being sown in Gaza today grow," Borrell told the audience in Spain.

In his speech, delivered as he received the title of Doctor Honoris Causa, Borrell also took aim at extremist Israeli settlers in the West Bank.

"The international community considers them (the settlers) to be illegal, but has done nothing to address this illegality," Borrell said, adding that the settlers are today more "violent" than before the eruption of conflict on October 7.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2...borrell-claims

Last edited by Exocet25fr; 01-20-24 at 10:30 AM.
Exocet25fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 01:13 PM   #739
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Palestinians tell of fears for the future as war destroys Gaza

Quote:
As Israel intensifies its offensive on Khan Younis, Palestinians in Gaza have spoken of their fears for the future.

Some of the heaviest battles in Gaza in recent days have been around the southern city.

Already displaced families have been fleeing the area of the Nasser hospital, the largest still functioning in the territory.

More than 24,900 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched its response to the 7 October Hamas attacks, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

The Hamas attack in Israel killed around 1,300 people, most of them civilians, and saw 240 hostages taken back to Gaza.

Israel says its air and ground operation in Gaza is aimed at destroying Hamas.

The majority of Gaza's 2.3 million people are displaced and fight daily to find food, drink and medicine.

Mohammed al-Khaldi, a father of two children displaced from Gaza City, told the BBC: "I lost my home, my shop and my source of income. I am no longer able to provide the simplest requirements of life for my children.

"I hold the Israeli occupation responsible for the massive destruction, but I do not absolve Hamas of responsibility for everything that happened," he said.

Hamas is the Palestinian group which has run Gaza since 2007. Its military wing, the Izzedine al-Qassam Brigades, was thought to have about 30,000 members before the 7 October attack.

"The worst thing that could happen is that we return to the previous situation, to a war every two or three years. The situation was difficult before the war and has become catastrophic now," Mr Khaldi said.

"The prices of goods have risen tenfold and most basic necessities are not available. I wish to die a thousand times every day when I look into my children's eyes and feel terrible helplessness because I am not able to feed them."

Most of the people I spoke to in Khan Younis said that the Israeli army was advancing towards the city centre.

They are working underground more than above ground, said Naji Mahmoud, one of the displaced people from Gaza City. Mr Mahmoud witnessed a major Israeli attack that took place in northern Gaza and left for Khan Younis during the week-long humanitarian truce at the end of November.

"We feel that the ground is shaking under us, something like an earthquake, and this is repeated almost every evening, the bombings seem to target the tunnels," he told the BBC. "When we were in Gaza [City], most of the attacks were from the air."

Manifestations of security breakdown are spreading throughout Gaza, and people are complaining about the phenomenon of theft and armed robbery.

A journalist who requested anonymity told the BBC: "I was returning from my job in Rafah late at night. I had three masked people stop me - they were carrying knives, and one of them was carrying a gun.

"They searched the car for anything valuable. One of them noticed that I was a journalist and allowed me to leave."

On the streets of Rafah masked police officers with guns in police cars can be seen, but people are complaining that they are not doing enough to deter merchants who monopolise goods and raise prices in an insane manner.

"I bought a bag of wheat marked Unrwa [the UN agency for Palestinian refugees] for $100 (£79; €92) - 10 times the original price. Why are the police not arresting the war traders who sell wheat most likely stolen from the UN aid agencies?" complained Mohammed Sheik Khalil.

"I can't find milk for my baby, my son has autism and has not received treatment for months. I cannot calm him down, and his condition has deteriorated after we made great strides in treating him before the war."

Hamas always worked according to emergency plans during the previous four wars, but this time it is different.

The Israeli army has destroyed the government system, killed a large number of security and police officers, and destroyed security headquarters and police stations, leaving ordinary crime uncontrolled.

Neveen Imadedin, a mother displaced from her home in Gaza City and now living in the southern town of Rafah, said: "We want the war to end but with a sustained long-term political solution. We want our state, not to return to the no-peace, no-war situation.

"Look what happened to us, thieves stole everything from my house, my clothes, home furniture and even solar panels."

"My house is located in the western part of Gaza City and was hit by four shells from the Israeli tanks that were controlling the neighbourhood.

"We are displaced here in Rafah and before that [we were] in Khan Younis. We have no money and no home, the unstoppable wars between Hamas and Israel have destroyed our lives."

A businessman called Mohammed agreed.

"We have lived under unjust rule for more than 16 years. Hamas imposed heavy taxes on us and now they have dragged us into a devastating war in which we lost our property, money and homes," he told the BBC.

"I used to live in a good house and work in trade. Now what will we do? The crossings are closed, the company has been destroyed, and the house is not fit for habitation due to the destruction.

"The worst thing that could happen to us is that we return under Hamas rule when the war ends."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68034128

Old 01-21-24, 06:14 AM   #740
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocet25fr View Post
Israel financed Hamas to weaken the Palestinian Authority, Josep Borrell claims

"We believe that a two-state solution should be imposed from the outside to bring peace," Borrell explained.

"But I insist, Israel, by continuing to reject this solution, has gone as far as to create Hamas themselves. Yes, Hamas has been financed by the Israeli government in an attempt to weaken the Palestinian Authority led by Fatah," he added.

"If we don't intervene strongly, the spiral of hate and violence will continue from generation to generation, from funeral to funeral, when the seeds of hate that are being sown in Gaza today grow," Borrell told the audience in Spain.

In his speech, delivered as he received the title of Doctor Honoris Causa, Borrell also took aim at extremist Israeli settlers in the West Bank.

"The international community considers them (the settlers) to be illegal, but has done nothing to address this illegality," Borrell said, adding that the settlers are today more "violent" than before the eruption of conflict on October 7.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2...borrell-claims
This clown Borrell never misses an opportunity to make a fool of himself. But this time his display is particularly despicable.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-21-24 at 07:24 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 07:06 AM   #741
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Which clown are you referring to?

Old 01-21-24, 07:22 AM   #742
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Borrell for sure!

P.S. Sorry for having been misunderstandable. Meanwhile corrected.
Old 01-21-24, 07:25 AM   #743
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Not a problem Marc and appreciate the clarification

Old 01-21-24, 07:29 AM   #744
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Netanyahu defies Biden over Palestinian state

Quote:
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has again rejected the idea of creating a Palestinian state.

His comments came hours after a phone call with US President Joe Biden after which the US leader indicated Mr Netanyahu may still accept the idea.

Mr Netanyahu's remarks appeared to deepen a public divide with the US.

The US believes a Palestinian state alongside Israel - known as a "two-state solution" - is vital for long-term stability.

But the White House acknowledged this week the US and Israeli governments "clearly see things differently".

Speaking to reporters after the two leaders held a call for the first time in almost a month, Mr Biden insisted a two-state solution was still possible with Mr Netanyahu in office.

"There are a number of types of two-state solutions. There's a number of countries that are members of the UN that... don't have their own militaries," he said.

But on Saturday Mr Netanyahu doubled down on his position, which he has held for much of his political career and repeated earlier this week.

A statement released by his office read: "In his conversation with President Biden, Prime Minister Netanyahu reiterated his policy that after Hamas is destroyed Israel must retain security control over Gaza to ensure that Gaza will no longer pose a threat to Israel, a requirement that contradicts the demand for Palestinian sovereignty."

Also on Saturday, in a post on X - formerly Twitter - he said Israel must retain "security control over the entire area west of [River] Jordan", an area which also encompasses the Israeli-occupied West Bank territory.

UK Defence Secretary Grant Shapps said on Sunday that Mr Netanyahu's statement was "disappointing", even though it was not a surprise.

The comments will dampen hopes in some circles that the Gaza crisis could result in Israeli and Palestinian leaders restarting diplomatic negotiations and kickstarting the dormant peace process.

Mr Netanyahu's increasing isolation abroad comes amid continuing support for the war at home, coupled with protests over the fate of the estimated 130 hostages still being held inside Gaza by Hamas.

Hamas killed about 1,300 people - mostly civilians - and took 240 hostages in their surprise attack on southern Israel on 7 October.

Thousands of protesters, including relatives of those still missing, gathered in Tel Aviv on Saturday, urging Mr Netanyahu to reach a truce to allow the hostages home.

Gil Dickmann, whose cousin was captured on 7 October, said: "Dear Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, we believe that you can bring them back. We believe in you.

"We know that you can sign this deal and bring about this victory to all the citizens of Israel. Just do it, Bibi. Just do it. Bring the hostages back home."

Israeli forces have continued to push into southern Gaza, saying they are searching for top Hamas officials they believe are hiding in Khan Younis, the Strip's second biggest city.

The Israel Defense Forces said they had raided a tunnel in Khan Younis that had been used to hold hostages, although they were not there when it was discovered.

While the focus of the fighting is now in southern Gaza, there have been renewed clashes around the northern town of Jabalia, as Palestinian fighters reportedly advanced while Israel tried to move its soldiers and tanks south.

Almost three months since Israel launched its ground invasion of Gaza, its army - vastly superior to Hamas in strength and equipment - is still facing significant resistance across the territory.

The Hamas-run health ministry in Gaza said on Sunday that 25,105 people had been killed in the territory since 7 October. More than 60,000 had also been injured, it said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68045247

Old 01-21-24, 07:37 AM   #745
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

Middle East crisis live: UN secretary general accuses Israel of mass destruction and killing "CIVILIANS" on an ‘unprecedented scale’

UN secretary general condemns Israel for 'heartbreaking' and 'unprecedented' killings in Gaza

The UN’s secretary general, António Guterres, has denounced Israel for the “heartbreaking” killings of Palestinian civilians in Gaza, Reuters reports.

“Israel’s military operations have spread mass destruction and killed civilians on a scale unprecedented during my time as secretary-general,” Guterres said at the opening of a summit of the G77+China in the Ugandan capital, Kampala.

“This is heartbreaking and utterly unacceptable. The Middle East is a tinder-box, we must do all we can to prevent conflict from igniting across the region.”

His comments come after Gaza health authorities said that Israeli strikes have killed over 25,000 Palestinians since 7 October.

Guterres added that the refusal to accept the two-state solution for Israelis and Palestinians is totally unacceptable, saying denying Palestinians the right to statehood “would indefinitely prolong a conflict that has become a major threat to global peace and security”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-on-iraqi-base
Old 01-21-24, 09:18 AM   #746
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

^ It's not the Israelis who is killing civilians, no it is Hamas who is killing their own citizens.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 01:32 PM   #747
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ I think your wasting your time Markus.

Old 01-21-24, 02:31 PM   #748
Exocet25fr
Grey Wolf

Israel is not fighting against Hamas but against civilians, implementing a criminal policy of bombings [EN/AR/HE]

When the war broke out, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Israel would retaliate forcefully, and the IDF Spokesperson was quick to make clear that “the emphasis is on damage, not precision.” These statements clearly align with Israel’s policy since the start of the war: hundreds of tons of bombs have been dropped on the Gaza Strip so far, leading to a horrifying death toll of more than 15,000 people, including more than 6,000 babies, children and teenagers and approximately 4,000 women. Entire residential neighborhoods have collapsed, including high-rises, and the streets are scenes of destruction. Many people are still buried under the rubble, their fate unknown. Some 1.8 million people have been displaced from their homes and are crowding together in inhumane conditions, without enough food, water or medication.

https://reliefweb.int/report/occupie...ombings-enarhe
Old 01-21-24, 02:35 PM   #749
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

And the Pope isn't a catholic eh?

Old 01-21-24, 02:42 PM   #750
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

There's things I do not understand, while be in support of the Palestine and the civilians living there and accusing Israel for killing them, BUT is absent when it comes to accuse Russian for killing civilians in Ukraine.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote