SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-11, 06:37 PM   #6046
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Downloads: 116
Uploads: 0

Installed the GWX campaign, and the graphics and sounds are INCREDIBLE...these are a triumph.

Nevertheless...I've been slogging my way through the GWX Academy scenarios, and have already picked out GLARING bugs or inaccuracies.

1) In the Flak Gun scenario, where in the world do practice or target aircraft SHOOT BACK? WTF? Now, I totally understand that in the game patrol aircraft will shoot at you, but there's an amazing little technique that I myself have perfected that will nullify this problem: STAY SUBMERGED DURING DAYLIGHT SO AIRCRAFT CAN'T SPOT YOU! Wow...what a novel idea!

2) And how is it a ship of over 2,000 tons can sight a torpedo and suddenly get up enough steam to avoid it completely when said vessel was DEAD IN THE FREAKING WATER?

3) And why is the game refuses to count you passing an exam even after achieving ALL the primary objectives?

4) And please tell me why it is that torpedoes fired at an ideal angle, perfect depth, and run hot, straight, and normal hit the target AND BOUNCE OFF? WTF? Is there a mod or something to correct this BS? Because it's happened to me no less than SEVEN times now and quite frankly it's starting to p**s me off ROYALLY.

ijnfleetadmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 07:41 PM   #6047
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijnfleetadmiral View Post
Installed the GWX campaign, and the graphics and sounds are INCREDIBLE...these are a triumph.

Nevertheless...I've been slogging my way through the GWX Academy scenarios, and have already picked out GLARING bugs or inaccuracies.

1) In the Flak Gun scenario, where in the world do practice or target aircraft SHOOT BACK? WTF? Now, I totally understand that in the game patrol aircraft will shoot at you, but there's an amazing little technique that I myself have perfected that will nullify this problem: STAY SUBMERGED DURING DAYLIGHT SO AIRCRAFT CAN'T SPOT YOU! Wow...what a novel idea!

2) And how is it a ship of over 2,000 tons can sight a torpedo and suddenly get up enough steam to avoid it completely when said vessel was DEAD IN THE FREAKING WATER?

3) And why is the game refuses to count you passing an exam even after achieving ALL the primary objectives?

4) And please tell me why it is that torpedoes fired at an ideal angle, perfect depth, and run hot, straight, and normal hit the target AND BOUNCE OFF? WTF? Is there a mod or something to correct this BS? Because it's happened to me no less than SEVEN times now and quite frankly it's starting to p**s me off ROYALLY.

If I were you I'd settle for the stock/vanilla version of the game....don't forget to ask for a total refund of the monies you have paid for the mod

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 07:43 PM   #6048
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:

It's my understanding that GWX makes the Flak exam so much harder to pass in order to prepare users for the increased effectiveness of Allied aircraft vs. u-boats in the game itself. Also I would guess that there is no way to code AI behavior differently just for the tutorials, so what you get in the game is what you get there as well. It does give you some idea of what to expect once you're actually in combat.

Remaining submerged for extended periods simply to avoid air attack is not necessary during the early part of the war unless you are operating within the relatively small range of Allied air cover at that time (you'll find a graphical representation of changing Allied air cover on the pull down map in the Nav map screen). And it's not really advisable since u-boats were simply not designed to operate effectively in that fashion. The practice was only adopted in RL as an unfortunate necessity once Allied air power became overwhelming. Based on what I've read from other people who have played late into the war, GWX models this as well. Nevertheless a healthy respect for the danger posed by enemy aircraft is a good thing to have from day one.

Quote:
From what I've read, the physics of AI ships has always been an issue with the game. There are some mods that try to address it.

Quote:
There are two modes in the Academy - training mode and test mode. The default is training mode. Unless you deliberately select "test" before beginning the session, it will not count as an actual exam and the game will not grade you on your performance or give you any renown credit for it.

In GWX you only have to pass one of the Academy exams to get the full available credit anyway. Do the Navigation one in test mode, ace it, and collect your renown. The others can be used for practice at your leisure.

Quote:
In RL it was always possible for any given torpedo to be a dud and fail to detonate regardless of how perfect the firing solution was and how clean the impact. In addition, duds were a major issue for the Kriegsmarine at certain times during the war. I would suspect that GWX increases the possibility of duds in your loadout to something more in line with historical accuracy. Also it can depend on your realism settings - I believe there is an option for "dud torpedoes" or something to that effect that you can deselect.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 08:23 PM   #6049
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

I have the mod thingy that will put the colors and direction of ships back in the game...where do I place it in the game files to install it?

-Matt

Old 07-30-11, 08:26 PM   #6050
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I have the mod thingy that will put the colors and direction of ships back in the game...where do I place it in the game files to install it?

-Matt
If you are referring to my 'contact_colour mod' then enable it with JSGME.

Old 07-30-11, 09:15 PM   #6051
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
If I were you I'd settle for the stock/vanilla version of the game....don't forget to ask for a total refund of the monies you have paid for the mod
Jim,
Are you forgetting that our guarantee is double your money back if you don't like our product?
Old 07-30-11, 10:05 PM   #6052
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
If you are referring to my 'contact_colour mod' then enable it with JSGME.
Yes, that's it...thanks! Another question...if I DL the Queen Mary or any other ship mod, is installing it the same way?

-Matt

Last edited by ijnfleetadmiral; 07-30-11 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-30-11, 10:27 PM   #6053
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Jim,
Are you forgetting that our guarantee is double your money back if you don't like our product?
Seems fair, but why stop there? Triple your money back would set us apart in a customer service league of our own.
Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-11, 04:23 AM   #6054
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Good start. Go on the attack right away. You'll get lots of people on your side by pointing out "bugs" and "inaccuracies" that either don't exist or have nothing to do with the mod you're attacking.

Quote:
In the Flak Gun scenario, where in the world do practice or target aircraft SHOOT BACK? WTF? Now, I totally understand that in the game patrol aircraft will shoot at you, but there's an amazing little technique that I myself have perfected that will nullify this problem: STAY SUBMERGED DURING DAYLIGHT SO AIRCRAFT CAN'T SPOT YOU! Wow...what a novel idea!
Is there really any need to be that insulting? Some valium might help. I think the idea here was to let you have a little fun. As Frau K pointed out, with GWX you only have to pass the training exam to get the full 1500 renown. The rest are for your enjoyment and training. You don't have to take them.

Quote:
And how is it a ship of over 2,000 tons can sight a torpedo and suddenly get up enough steam to avoid it completely when said vessel was DEAD IN THE FREAKING WATER?
Also as pointed out, that is a problem with the physics of the stock game, and has nothing whatsoever to do with GWX. People have been trying to fix it for the last six years, with somewhat mixed results.

Quote:
And why is the game refuses to count you passing an exam even after achieving ALL the primary objectives?
As asked, did you click the Exam box before beginning? Also part of the stock game, and not the fault of GWX.

Quote:
And please tell me why it is that torpedoes fired at an ideal angle, perfect depth, and run hot, straight, and normal hit the target AND BOUNCE OFF? WTF? Is there a mod or something to correct this BS? Because it's happened to me no less than SEVEN times now and quite frankly it's starting to p**s me off ROYALLY.
The Germans, like the Americans after them, had massive amounts of torpedo problems, which weren't completely solved until 1943. And the real kaleuns were also very unhappy about it. It is indeed frustrating, but it's not BS at all.

There's an old saying: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. You'll get a lot more answers and a lot more help if you don't kick in the door and come in with guns blazing.
Old 07-31-11, 05:25 AM   #6055
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Another quick question...anyone know how to skip August 1939 on your first patrol? I just got to 2 September 1939 and after waiting all this time the game CRASHED. This will be the FIFTH time I've gone through August 1939 in an effort to get to WWII.

-Matt

Old 07-31-11, 05:54 AM   #6056
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
Jim,
At twice your money back...I don't like it neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Good start. Go on the attack right away. You'll get lots of people on your side by pointing out "bugs" and "inaccuracies" that either don't exist or have nothing to do with the mod you're attacking.

Is there really any need to be that insulting? Some valium might help. I think the idea here was to let you have a little fun. As Frau K pointed out, with GWX you only have to pass the training exam to get the full 1500 renown. The rest are for your enjoyment and training. You don't have to take them.

Also as pointed out, that is a problem with the physics of the stock game, and has nothing whatsoever to do with GWX. People have been trying to fix it for the last six years, with somewhat mixed results.

As asked, did you click the Exam box before beginning? Also part of the stock game, and not the fault of GWX.

The Germans, like the Americans after them, had massive amounts of torpedo problems, which weren't completely solved until 1943. And the real kaleuns were also very unhappy about it. It is indeed frustrating, but it's not BS at all.

There's an old saying: You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. You'll get a lot more answers and a lot more help if you don't kick in the door and come in with guns blazing.
^

Old 07-31-11, 08:52 AM   #6057
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Looks like I FINALLY got it working. Sorry if I came on uber-negative...the mod is really incredible; the time it took to do this was probably more than I'm estimating. And it's really nice not being the only ship in the harbor when I go out and return home now!

And to the designers of the game (or the mod, whichever put her in there)...since I started in August 1939, I had plenty of time to explore, so I took my Type VIIB 'across the pond' to New York Harbor. At this time I'd like to thank you for including the Statue of Liberty in the game...wouldn't be The Big Apple without her!

-Matt

Old 07-31-11, 06:27 PM   #6058
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Glad you got it figured out. Now go sink something (but not until September)!
Old 07-31-11, 06:43 PM   #6059
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

SINK EM ALL!!

Old 08-01-11, 01:49 AM   #6060
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Does anyone know how to get a copy of The Grey Wolves load screen? My fiancee loves wolves and I know she'd like that artwork.

Also: I tried taking screenshots, but where are they placed in my computer? I looked in 'My Pictures' and the in every file for the game and came up with nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Matt

P.S.: Made it past August 1939...ended my first patrol (commanding Prien's U-47, no less!) having sunk a Coastal Tanker, two Coastal Freighters, a Small Freighter, and a Passenger-Cargo ship for 9,466 tons and a promotion to OLzS upon return home. If this is how quick you receive promotions, I should be an Admiral in no time!

Last edited by ijnfleetadmiral; 08-01-11 at 01:22 PM.