Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-14, 01:34 PM   #31
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Yeah man, I have seen complete nests in cars. Usually up by the cowling. Hell, Honda had a recall on one of their models. The car apparently attracted some type of spider. Not sure how it was handled.
I remember that one. They provided some type of seal to prevent spider entry into the passenger cabin through the fresh air duct..

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-14, 06:21 PM   #32
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

update:

spent 9 hours at the dealership today

first from 7:30 to 9 am it took for them to say GM suggested to RF balance all 4 tires. that's what I was told they were already going to do last time (Thursday) as soon as I put enough miles on it and it took them 90 minutes to rediscover this lost knowledge of what to do next?

so now its 9 am and of course their RF balance machine is broke so they have to bring it to another dealership to have it done but now im at the back of the line at the other dealership with like 12 people ahead of me.

around 12 they tell me the truck is back and all 4 tires were "way out" as they put it and so we test drive it and it wasn't bad but still had a slight vibration so I said to go ahead and put on a new set of tires since they offered to do that.

4 hours later the test drive now has vibration at 60 mph instead of 70 so the guy says "I guess we need to RF balance them.

what the heck, you put a new set of tires and don't balance them the way GM says you need to and this after taking 4 hours to replace 4 tires.

so now its 4:30 and too late to send it out and get it back today so I was given rental to go home and they will get it RF balanced tomorrow and if that doesn't solve it they said maybe they could try a different brand or tires on it. so far not everything they mention ends up being a real option but it does seam to be a tire issue since changing things with the tires changes the circumstances and intensity of the vibration
Old 09-03-14, 06:03 AM   #33
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Gomer Mechanics?

See Webster?
I told you they are only hiring part replacers instead of mechanics.

At least some progress was made.

Somebody sprang for the good stuff.
http://www.hunter.com/balancer/

I'd put money down that your dealer is eating this repair. They'll save your old tires to put on one of their parts trucks, instead of running them through the warranty system and actually fixing the problem at the source. The tire plant in Akron, Ohio.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-03-14, 08:55 AM   #34
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
See Webster?
I told you they are only hiring part replacers instead of mechanics.

At least some progress was made.

Somebody sprang for the good stuff.
http://www.hunter.com/balancer/

I'd put money down that your dealer is eating this repair. They'll save your old tires to put on one of their parts trucks, instead of running them through the warranty system and actually fixing the problem at the source. The tire plant in Akron, Ohio.
well having slept on it I think I might have messed up gambling on a new set of the same tires because what if they never get these new ones set as close to not vibrating as the last rf balance got them to be

but its too late now, just have to hope these are vibration free
Old 09-03-14, 11:11 AM   #35
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
well having slept on it I think I might have messed up gambling on a new set of the same tires because what if they never get these new ones set as close to not vibrating as the last rf balance got them to be

but its too late now, just have to hope these are vibration free
Rubber tires on autos have always been a gamble but, they're better than the old wooden spoke wheels.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-03-14, 11:56 AM   #36
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Rubber tires on autos have always been a gamble but, they're better than the old wooden spoke wheels.
HEY! Wooden spoked wheels are great, as long as don't travel much faster than a man can walk.
Old 09-03-14, 02:40 PM   #37
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
HEY! Wooden spoked wheels are great, as long as don't travel much faster than a man can walk.
Or no faster than a team of horses can pull. Though I think the muleskinners who hauled nitro might beg to differ. One broken spoke and talk about a catastrophic flat tire!!!

We found the driver. He's in this here bloody burlap bag.

Forget the coffin, get a mason jar.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-04-14, 05:44 PM   #38
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

anyways, back on topic.

I got the truck back today after they were "supposed to" RF balance the four tires they said they replaced.

as it turns out, it says on the paperwork that they just swapped tires out with another truck on the lot and sent it off to southern tire to be balanced but nothing was mentioned on the paperwork about it being a RF balance.

it was raining when I picked it up so no test drive, anyway on the way home it is still vibrating but not much (about like the last time I was tempted to let it go and keep it) but when I got home I took a good look at the tires they put on just to see if they were different tires but I cant tell if they swapped them all or just one or two.

the big problem was right there in my face, my truck has steel wheels with ss hubcaps and they clamped the wheel weights right over the hub caps locking them onto the rim!

it has a center cap you take off first before you can pull the outer ring off but they removed just the center caps to balance it and hammered the weights right over the hubcap as though it was the rim.

things are definitely looking very hinky at this point so im gonna call souther tire and see if they even have a RF balance machine because at this poinnt it wouldn't surprise me to find out they don't.

I got receipts for 2 repairs on same problem and Monday will be #3 so I guess they get 2 more tries before lemon law kicks in
Old 09-04-14, 07:48 PM   #39
Wolferz
Navy Seal

What a bunch of moroons!

Probably took your ride to the local Walmart tire and auto center to save some money. Those shops only have the standard electric spin balancers.
No Road force whatsoever. Probably the same story at the tire shop, unfortunately.
Well, now the dealer or the tire shop can spring for some new trim rings.

I'd be absolutely livid and on the phone to GM customer service. Just to help drive down the dealer's CSI. (Customer Satisfaction Index) If that gets too low, GM will pull the franchise from the owner/s or at least refuse a new franchise to them. Next visit, when you're done chewing them a new one, ask to see all four of the NEW tires they're providing, before install. Check every tire for a noticeable dimple in the sidewalls from a shipping strap and accompany your truck to the shop where they're getting balanced. Talk about an unprofessional service department!

The only good thing I have to say about your dealer is....
At least they didn't drop it off a rack.
Yes. I've seen that happen.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-04-14, 10:38 PM   #40
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Maybe it's a way to see if you're messing with it like the guy who kept frying a fuse on his Tesla. The complaints stops after Tesla put a tamper seal on the fuse.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 01:23 AM   #41
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Maybe it's a way to see if you're messing with it like the guy who kept frying a fuse on his Tesla. The complaints stops after Tesla put a tamper seal on the fuse.
don't think they would destroy around $250 worth of ss hub cap rings on purpose just to tamper proof them and besides, since I drove it off the lot after buying it, they have had the truck in their parking lot longer then I have had it in my driveway so not much chance I could mess with anything.

I also noticed the mileage changed a lot and since I dropped it off at the dealer they put 65 miles on the truck so I have to see whats up with that because someone was driving around in my new truck because I cant see more then 10-15 miles at the most used if they had to go all the way across town to get it balanced and I don't think they should have put more then 5 miles on it the whole time.

im assuming its not the dealer and guessing its the tire place was using it for running errands but maybe it was the dealer who knows. its not like I can prove who did it and its not the end of the world but I will be raising hell about it.

without having asked the specific details of what they were doing, as far as I understood what happened, I dropped it off with 525 miles on it then it went straight to the tire place and back to the dealer with maybe a 1 or 2 mile round trip test drive after. when I was about a mile or two from the dealer and too late to turn around I saw it was reading 590 miles.
Old 09-05-14, 05:31 AM   #42
Wolferz
Navy Seal

If they tried to balance the wheels on the vehicle, it would add mileage and might also explain the weights on your trim rings. Though, generally, the old fashioned balancing equipment requires that a special tool be clamped to the rim and that can't be done with a trim ring still attached.

Either way, they're taking your truck to Disneyland for some Mickey Mouse BS repair. At any rate, If their shop isn't completely enclosed, you could loiter about outside their garage bays and watch what they're doing.

You're not too far away from a Lemon Law suit at the moment. If they do have the audacity to claim that it isn't a safety issue, they're full of crap. Bad things can happen when a tire comes apart at speed.

Definitely demand a new set of tires that have never been mounted on a rim. This switching wheels from another truck is an attempt to sweep a potentially catastrophic problem under the proverbial rug. Don't let them get away with it.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-05-14, 09:47 AM   #43
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

todays update:

dropped the truck off this morning, the guy said they put the miles on the truck test driving it and sometimes put as much as 100 miles on them for problems like this to be sure they fixed the problem. yet they keep saying they don't feel it anymore and its fixed when its not

as to the hubcap trim ring, the parts guy showed it to me in the computer and the rim asnd trim ring are one unit in two pieces that are bonded together at the factory so they don't come apart separately and that's why the weight was put on the outside but they will send it back and have them rebalance it with only putting weights on the back side so it doesn't show on the outside.

on the way in today I noticed a wheel hop issue at 40 mph and the service guy admitted he felt it too but he said that's just how short bed trucks do because of the suspension . I explained the truck did not do this before with the other set of tires they had on the truck at first and in fact all I ever owned was several new short bed trucks and they don't bounce or hop unless the road causes it and on smooth flat even roads with fresh blacktop there will not do that just because of tight suspension.

left with rental truck again and i'll see what happens this time.

repair #3 for the same vibration problem is in progress
Old 09-05-14, 10:13 AM   #44
Wolferz
Navy Seal

If the weights caused any cosmetic damage to the trim, that's grounds for a new set of rims.

I'm still having trouble believing that they would bond trim rings directly to a wheel rim. But, I've seen stranger things. Like a four cylinder motor with two sets of spark plugs. The secondary set couldn't be replaced unless the motor was pulled out of the doghouse. Adding a $700.00 bill to a tune up.
What the heck has GM done, hired Ford engineers!?!?

Good luck with the repair.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-05-14, 10:19 AM   #45
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
If the weights caused any cosmetic damage to the trim, that's grounds for a new set of rims.

I'm still having trouble believing that they would bond trim rings directly to a wheel rim. But, I've seen stranger things. Like a four cylinder motor with two sets of spark plugs. The secondary set couldn't be replaced unless the motor was pulled out of the doghouse. Adding a $700.00 bill to a tune up.
What the heck has GM done, hired Ford engineers!?!?

Good luck with the repair.
well I saw a printout of the parts film where they only two 17" wheels were the mag and the steel wheel with ss trim and it only shows it as one part number, there is no part number or anything that shows the trim as a separate part. at this point all I have to go on is what he showed me and told me and I cant see a clear separation or anything where you can see movement or separation between the trim and the wheel.

this is it, mine is part #1, its a plain old fashioned regular black steel rim on the inside with a ss overlay trim to look and act as a hub cap style trim piece just for looks http://www.gmwholesalepartsdirect.co...66&catid=30154

and this is what they actually look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Four-2014-Ch...e88497&vxp=mtr

and yep, I have seen some of those crazy cars too, I have seen some rear wheel drive cars like that where you had to undo the motor mount on one side and jack up that side a few inches to be able to access the plugs for a tuneup lol

Last edited by Webster; 09-05-14 at 10:42 AM.

Tags
cars, chevy, pickups, trucks