SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-09, 03:01 PM   #31
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0

Answered my own question

Move along, nothing to see here :P
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-09, 04:01 PM   #32
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
For example, if I would have been able to port over my optics mod and the slide-out compass from SH3 to UBM, I would have already forgotten SH3.

But I can't, and I don't like playing UBM without that mod, so I'm more or less stuck with SH3. However, I like the US interface in SH4, so I play US submarines gladly with it.
Why is that? It can't simply be ported over with a few modifications to make it compatible with SH4? Would you have to make a new mod from the ground up instead?
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 09:02 PM   #33
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Sonar is ctrl-H in TMO. Radar takes a button bar command.

Frankly, to quote another well known modder, SH4 modders mod the Pacific because it needs a lot of work. The U-Boat angle benefits from all the work already done in SH3 and most of it can be adapted quite easily. However the Pacific side has no such already built base. Because of that you'll see the Atlantic mods shoot by the Pacific mods so fast that you'll no longer wonder about it.

For better or worse, there is also the popular opinion that the Grey Wolves are just going to swoop down and save the world. This is an irritant to SH4 modders who are not inclined to become involved in the Atlantic because the GW have just sucked all the oxygen out of the air. (why don't the Pacific modders just wear scuba tanks and go for it?)

Another anonymous modder said, "There's two groups of modders: Modders affiliated GWX, and modders not affiliated with GWX. There's absolutely no point in doing anything for the Atlantic because GWX will have that covered, it's all they want or care for, it's their specialty, so you can expect a high level motivation where the Atlantic is concerned. So why should anyone else bother?"

Have YOU looked at Tomi's torpedo room and engine room? You wanna compete with that? Although I don't share the cynacism of some Pacific modders, I don't think we have to worry about the Atlantic.

I am a little discouraged that the Atlantic side will never be the healthy, vibrant modding scene the Pacific side is, with TMO, RFB, GFO, FOTRS and other supermods all in continuous development without conflict between the modders. I believe that the more mods there are, the better they all are. But it's not the Wolves' fault nobody wants to share the water with them except Lurker, who's been swimmming laps waiting for them for months. We'll take what they come out with and be glad of it.

Then there's SH5 on the way. This also makes modders change their plans and inhibits people from going through the effort to produce new stuff for a soon to be obsolete game. If SH5 is a bust, you'll see a revival here.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 06-12-09 at 09:16 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote