SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-09, 02:28 PM   #4471
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I noticed the german (supposedly) crew still sigh or screams "Oh my God!"
when there are deaths on deck (maybe underwater too?)
i'm getting up new audio for these by agony / screaming files with no words.
My question is... this "Oh my God!" files are heard when someone of the crew is dying? If its the case, i'll will replace it and if works well, post the mod.

Cheers
Old 06-25-09, 10:54 AM   #4472
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_kingtiger View Post
Hello,

Firstly let me say I LOVE the mod. It is the only reason I'm still playing the game. GWX has turned an ok game into an amazing simulation.

I've recently upgraded to the Windows 7 RC1 and I'm having some issues with the sky textures. During some weather conditions, usually clear daytime skys, I get a strange black sky texture.

I've included a screenshot at
http://www.st-george-squadron.co.uk/...%20texture.jpg

Anyone else had this problem or know a solution?
Welcome aboard paul_kingtiger.

Apologies for my late response. My availability is very limited these days.

I've seen this issue crop up with a number of different users, and a number of threads here have addressed it. (Though my search for those threads has yielded nothing.)

In a nutshell, you now have a corrupt installation. My impression is that the changes to your operating system may have had a role to play in your problem... in which case, a full re-installation of SH3 + GWX should fix it. (You had no black-sky problem before the changes to your OS, right?)

Otherwise, you may want to consider optional mods that you have placed on top of GWX. They may not be fully compatible with GWX and/or may have been installed incorrectly.

Let us know how you get on.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock

Last edited by Kpt. Lehmann; 06-25-09 at 11:18 AM.
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 11:01 AM   #4473
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictalope View Post
I noticed the german (supposedly) crew still sigh or screams "Oh my God!"
when there are deaths on deck (maybe underwater too?)
i'm getting up new audio for these by agony / screaming files with no words.
My question is... this "Oh my God!" files are heard when someone of the crew is dying? If its the case, i'll will replace it and if works well, post the mod.

Cheers
Hi Nictalope,

The sound in SH3 is unfortunately often unidirectional... when it should be omnidirectional. (This problem is related to SH3... and is not caused by GWX.)

What I mean to say, is that if you are facing the wrong way... you can completely miss the sound of depth charges while you are inside the sub etc.

Crew speech in SH3 (and GWX as a result) is certainly affected by this limitation.

Also, if you are viewing your sub from the outside, much of the crew speech is not audible to the user. You must position your viewpoint to be on or inside the sub.

I don't think that a mod will be able to change the unidirectional nature of sounds in SH3.

However, if you know how to edit the sound settings in SH3, or feel that you'd like to make an add-on mod for GWX... feel free to start a new thread and explore that. I'd be interested in seeing the results myself.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 06-25-09, 11:11 AM   #4474
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Perhaps (and evidently) my english is as bad as I thought.
I was talking about not the direction of sound
but to the english voice "oh my god", i.e. during an air attack when am on deck and i check into my crew and some guy is dead. These "Oh my God" files r present in stock SHIII too.
I just intended to change those english expression (for the german voice option) of "Oh, my God" for some agonizing or screams sound files, much more according to the attack/wounded issue

Just i wanted to know if that "Oh, my God" sound files are triggered by a dead crew. So i can change them.

Cheers
Old 06-25-09, 11:17 AM   #4475
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Perhaps (and evidently) my english is as bad as I thought.
I was talking about not the direction of sound
but to the english voice "oh my god", i.e. during an air attack when am on deck and i check into my crew and some guy is dead.
I just intended to change those english expression (for the german voice option) of "Oh, my God" for some agonizing or screams sound files, much more according to the attack/wounded issue

Just i wanted to know if that "Oh, my God" sound files are triggered by a dead crew. So i can change them.

Cheers
Well, if you are playing GWX with English voices enabled... I really recommend that you switch to German speech in the main game menus.

Otherwise, if I have again misunderstood you, I don't think that a crewman must actually killed to trigger those sound files. If I recall correctly... they are triggered either by crewmen being wounded... or by the boat taking heavy damage.

You'll have to run a series of experiments to find out.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 06-25-09, 11:20 AM   #4476
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Oh, ok,
i have german speech enabled btw.

Many thanks
I will test the thing out, hope to come out with a new mod

Cheeers
Old 06-25-09, 11:26 AM   #4477
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Oh, ok,
i have german speech enabled btw.

Many thanks
I will test the thing out, hope to come out with a new mod

Cheeers
Roger dodger!

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 06-25-09, 07:39 PM   #4478
PavelKirilovich
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 28

This is a bug I'm not subject to, but I noticed that they shout: "OH MEIN GOTT" when a comrade is killed. In the heat of it, with the engines running at maximum RPMs and the 20mm Flaks chewing through their ammunition, depth-bombs exploding and so on, it has once or twice sounded like someone shouting "Oh my God" in English. My point: It may not be the game, it may just be your ears playing tricks.
Running: SH3 v1.4b w/ GWX 2.1
PavelKirilovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 08:14 PM   #4479
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yeah, can be that, being among other things sound editor.
and tried the files alone through a virtual recording studio and pro recording AKG hearphones
anyway, he's speaking english, period
Am using SH4 Sparx u-boat speech fix maybe's that
So the last thing is remember some god when you really lay there hurting,
all your comrades running up and down, the Flak firing till ooze burning oil and grease, and the plane engines screaming down on the tin sardine, which tries desesperately to dive and turn...
so I eliminated that idillic, mapled, god rememberance and substituted for screams or scream, not samples from a non-feeling scream done in a basement, but a good full-lung fine scream of pain which I pitch shifted, stretched and other audio things to make diferent ones...
and tested in battle letting die my brave crew and works quite well actually, having heard those screams from the interior and outside too and make a good mix when all is chaos.

So battle screams mod will be shortly here

Cheers
Old 06-26-09, 12:41 AM   #4480
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Yeah, can be that, being among other things sound editor.
and tried the files alone through a virtual recording studio and pro recording AKG hearphones
anyway, he's speaking english, period
Am using SH4 Sparx u-boat speech fix maybe's that
So the last thing is remember some god when you really lay there hurting,
all your comrades running up and down, the Flak firing till ooze burning oil and grease, and the plane engines screaming down on the tin sardine, which tries desesperately to dive and turn...
so I eliminated that idillic, mapled, god rememberance and substituted for screams or scream, not samples from a non-feeling scream done in a basement, but a good full-lung fine scream of pain which I pitch shifted, stretched and other audio things to make diferent ones...
and tested in battle letting die my brave crew and works quite well actually, having heard those screams from the interior and outside too and make a good mix when all is chaos.

So battle screams mod will be shortly here

Cheers

Well Nictalope, some would argue that God may be the FIRST thing you think about when you lay there dying...

... However, before this turns into an off-topic debate on death and religion... lets leave editorial comments on God, out of the picture here. Such things can easily be found to be offensive.

I'm all for variety though... as it keeps things interesting.

I would appreciate it if you would kindly continue discussions relating to your modwork on your new thread. This thread is for matters relating to the GWX mod itself.

Thanks.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 06-26-09, 06:56 AM   #4481
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I'm all for variety though... as it keeps things interesting.
That might be easily offensive too to some

but well
yeah whatever pleases you

agreed on not debating issues
Old 06-26-09, 11:10 AM   #4482
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default GWX features

Having used GWX for not so long, I discovered not only a wide variety of ships in enemy ports, but also the AI inteligence improved, since once got inside some port to see if i could catch something juicy and was a nice liner, but neutral , and another good-sized ship, but was a hospital , and some different steamers which most were neutral too , and the english ones were smal small , and then i saw a heavy cruiser and as i maneouvred to shoot some asw boat came too close, I got freaked out, started to shoot torpedos sinking it and every asw and destroyer which came to see what the noise was about, in short, made a mess, ran outta torpedoes, so went out and from near ports were approaching like 5 or 6 more asw and destroyers some straight to the port's mouth and some further, as if they were trying to cut my way, but still somewhat lack of experience as early 1940 asw should be, but they were good at guessing the outtings of the port.

I was really delighted with that, and also the difficult aiming with cannon at long ranges and the almost complete lack of stabilization at stormy weather, as should be.

The search light in cargos, etc, and the ability to blow those bloody shiners away too.

Really enjoying this mod
Old 06-26-09, 02:37 PM   #4483
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

BE MORE AGGRESSIVE!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 04:25 PM   #4484
Nictalope
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i promise i will :rotfl:

but but but

how's GWX renown system, just give for enemy ship sunk, isnt it?
what if a get the neutrals, etc? Do i get renown penalties?

Last edited by Nictalope; 06-26-09 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-28-09, 05:57 AM   #4485
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Hello GWX team,

reading a discussion about Uboat ranges

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=153021

I became curious and compared the range-values in the .sim with with the range-values from the GWX manual (which I divided through 1.85 to get the values in sm instead of km). Doing this, I found that the values differ:

Type IIA: GWX-Manual: 4400km = 2375sm. In .sim file: 2895sm
Type IID: GWX-Manual: 8500km = 4589sm. In .sim file: 5288sm
Type VIIB:GWX-Manual: 15000km = 8100sm. In .sim file: 9733sm
Type VIIC:GWX-Manual: 15000km = 8100sm. In .sim file: 9713sm
Type IXB: GWX-Manual: 20100km = 10850sm. In .sim file: 14500sm
Type IXC: GWX-Manual: 25500km = 13768sm. In .sim file: 18650sm
Type IXD2:GWX-Manual: 55000km = 29697sm. In .sim file: 46621sm (!!!)
Type XXI: GWX-Manual: 25800km = 13930sm. In .sim file: 13272sm

I'm not sure, if perhaps I made a mistake in my thoughts and calculations.
But if I'm right: Is there a chance for a fix?
And if not, I could make that job.

Greetings and thanks again for GWX,
h.sie