SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-12, 08:09 AM   #4171
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Waiting on RP I suppose. Still think the modpacks are ridiculous so would prefer our own selection, but we'll have to see.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 08:17 AM   #4172
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302
Uploads: 0

You can add mods like Optifine, NEI, Rei's Minimap, Forge, texturepack to your minecraft. At least, so far I got away with adding them. Arc's server didn't complain. But no mods that contradict with the way the server handles the world. So, anything that introduces new blocks, items or mob interaction would be a no-no.

I like the idea of trying out FTB on the server. My short stroll into a private FTB world shows much more biome variety. But perhaps it is better to hold off until Redpower and/or EE has been added to it. As it could require a new world to be effective.

Also, I prefer FTB as a modpack since the mods are assembled to be compatible. But it's up to Arc, as he would need to do the server maintenance.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 08:22 AM   #4173
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
That's the big question. There's no mods being used at the moment, and I don't know whether it'd be right to switch over to a modded server so soon after starting a new world in vanilla.

Thoughts?
Nay.
I've a dislike for Mods in MC too much to maintain, too much junk and it just takes away the MC feeling imo.

I'll stick to Vanilla and hope the server does too for quite some time.

HunterICX
Old 11-11-12, 09:07 AM   #4174
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Nay.
I've a dislike for Mods in MC too much to maintain
HunterICX
In its defence, the whole idea behind FTB is that you just download and install one thing, like HSFX for IL2, and then the whole lot is updated rather than having to install separate updates. That's what I get from it.
So maintenance would be rather low, I'm not sure but I'd guess that they'd have also streamlined the installation process a fair bit too so it shouldn't be too tricky to install.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:05 AM   #4175
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Installing FTB is just a matter of downloading the launcher and running Minecraft using it.

Everything is downloaded and installed for you.

Also, disabling/enabling mods is very much identical to JSGME.

Here's Direwolf's Spotlight showing how it works:

So, if the the server is going to go modded at somepoint, I really dont see any
advantage of compiling our own mods as we did before. FTB includes all the mods
we've used and just so much less hassle.

Btw, the .JAR version of the launcher didn't work for me when I tested it last night,
but the .EXE version works.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 10:24 AM   #4176
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Installing FTB is just a matter of downloading the launcher and running Minecraft using it.
Does it overwrite native MC or can you run native MC by using the traditional Minecraft exe?
Old 11-11-12, 10:36 AM   #4177
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

Everything is downloaded and installed for you.

Also, disabling/enabling mods is very much identical to JSGME.

Here's Direwolf's Spotlight showing how it works:

So, if the the server is going to go modded at somepoint, I really dont see any
advantage of compiling our own mods as we did before. FTB includes all the mods
we've used and just so much less hassle.

Btw, the .JAR version of the launcher didn't work for me when I tested it last night,
but the .EXE version works.
Ah, goody. Figured t'was one of those all-or-nothing afairs since it had been configured to run together. I'd rather not use everything they stuffed in there.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 11:15 AM   #4178
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Does it overwrite native MC or can you run native MC by using the traditional Minecraft exe?
It downloads minecraft to the folder you have the FTB executable in, so your
original Minecraft remains untouched and can be started normally via Minecraft.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Ah, goody. Figured t'was one of those all-or-nothing afairs since it had been configured to run together. I'd rather not use everything they stuffed in there.
Yea, I agree, we don't need them all. And some might even cause some headache,
like Mystcraft.

Tho, I'd keep the majority of them, as many tend to work the best when mixed
with other mods. Good exaple being EnderStorage, which is pretty much mandatory,
if one wants to make a movable RP2 frame quarry.

But lets see when the time comes.
Old 11-11-12, 12:32 PM   #4179
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I like the idea of trying out FTB on the server. My short stroll into a private FTB world shows much more biome variety. But perhaps it is better to hold off until Redpower and/or EE has been added to it. As it could require a new world to be effective.
EE doesn't require anything generated by the world generator. Everything is made from vanilla objects or dropped by mods(as it stands now, but the mod maker would like to keep it this way).

If Eloraam would give us the world module, we could start our worlds now and just wait for the rest of the modules. But alas, she won't.

I'd personally prefer FTB over a mod pack we put together just for the simplicity. No more issues with wrong ID numbers, or wrong install order, etc.. Add for adding or removing mods from FTB, I think we should just leave it the way it is, as everything seems to be properly balanced for MP. Heck even EE3 is being balanced so it's not as OP as EE2.

The only mod I'd like seen added if it's not included in FTB, is TC3(although it'll probably end up in FTB).
Old 11-11-12, 01:24 PM   #4180
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

My only problem with mods now is I haven't played MC for a while, and same with mods. So to me I just get my butt kicked trying to survive (I'm crap at this game with hunger added in. I always can never find food or shelter because I'm hunting for one more then the other), not to mention trying to remember everything and how to use all the things that mods add in.

So then I get frustrated, leave and play something else
Old 11-11-12, 01:52 PM   #4181
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
My only problem with mods now is I haven't played MC for a while, and same with mods. So to me I just get my butt kicked trying to survive (I'm crap at this game with hunger added in. I always can never find food or shelter because I'm hunting for one more then the other), not to mention trying to remember everything and how to use all the things that mods add in.

So then I get frustrated, leave and play something else
Food production really isn't an issue anymore with Potatoes and Carrots added to the game(I also think animals give more meat than they used too, but I could be wrong). Forestry makes this easier with the automation of farms. Just with Vanilla, you really shouldn't starve to death anymore, and with Forestry included, if you do starve, you're doing something wrong.

As for shelter, the only way it's an issue is if you join the server at night, otherwise making a small shelter really shouldn't be a problem.

If you wait to get a small shack and a small farm going before you even think about touching the mod stuff, you should have no problem. As for the complexity of the mods, it's generally a good idea to stick with one mod and learn it's in's and out's, instead of trying to do everything at once.
If you try to dive headfirst into the mods without getting the bare necessities in place(the same ones you'd need in Vanilla MC as it is), you're going to get overwhelmed.

If you ever get lost or don't know what to do with a mod, Direwolf has spotlights for most, if not all, of the mods in FTB. He also covers most of the pods in his let's plays. Watch his SMP(which has all the FTB mods) one to catch up, or watch his older SSP one(will be slightly out of date). They're perfect for seeing how to combine the mods together.
Old 11-11-12, 02:20 PM   #4182
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

Hah, well I must be unlucky. Every time I've joined the server to check it out, or try something I join at night and have no idea where I am. That and I don't like to make a shelter unless I've found a location that I want to stay in.

As for food, I don't know how to get carrots and the only animals I've seen on the server so far is Squids and a sheep
Old 11-11-12, 02:28 PM   #4183
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Carrots & potatos are found in villages or rarely in jungles.

If all else fails, punch the wild grass and get seeds.
Old 11-11-12, 02:33 PM   #4184
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
Hah, well I must be unlucky. Every time I've joined the server to check it out, or try something I join at night and have no idea where I am. That and I don't like to make a shelter unless I've found a location that I want to stay in.

As for food, I don't know how to get carrots and the only animals I've seen on the server so far is Squids and a sheep
If you don't like the area, just create a small hole until sunlight.

If you join the server while people are on, most would gladly throw some potato, carrot, melon, pumpkin, or wheat seeds your way.

You can also get cocoa from the jungle(used to make chocolate chip cookies), and you can get apples from the leaves of the regular trees. There is an abundance of food.

If you avoid sprinting and unnecessary digging, hitting, etc. your stamina doesn't deplete that fast, even on hard.
Old 11-11-12, 03:30 PM   #4185
Oberon
Lucky Jack

I've got loads of food in my castle, and some empty houses (thank you zombies) so if you want to set up a temporary residence there, you're more than welcome to. There's cows, sheep, pigs and chickens nearby, just be sure to leave at least two of each animal in the pen so we can repopulate.

Tags
minecraft