SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-12, 07:01 PM   #4036
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3227
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit484 View Post
I think you also need the TMO 2.5 patch. You can find it in the downloads section my friend . I hope this helps you.
I use TMO 25 without the patch, and all works fine.

TMO is a mod for a new, starting campaign; if the mod is activated in campaign, there will be problems (CTDS).

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 08:43 PM   #4037
Tigershark624
A-ganger

Downloads: 134

Downloaded and applied the patch, deleted all previous saves and started a new campaign. Save game still fails.
Tigershark624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 09:14 PM   #4038
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark624 View Post
Downloaded and applied the patch, deleted all previous saves and started a new campaign. Save game still fails.
It seems you must reinstall the game.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 12:39 AM   #4039
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
It seems you must reinstall the game.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
I agree i think that maybe you somehow got a hold off a corrupted file when you downloaded the file. If you can try to download it again . good luck friend!!!
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 11:11 AM   #4040
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark624 View Post
I'm having an issue in which I cannot save my game once I've started a campaign. I also can't load an auto-saved game from the menu while in-campaign or delete any of those auto saves. I have the Steam version of SHIV 1.5 on Windows 7 home edition.

This is what I'm running:

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
LST_TMO
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
TMO19_interior3d_GATO_USSDRUM
TMO19_interior3d_PORPOISE_overhaul
TMO19_interior3d_SCLASS_overhaul
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix for v1.4 and v1.5
SH4-UltimateSoundPack

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Tigershark
That's a long list of mods your using!

As was already pointed out, the TMO19_interior mods are for the TMO 1.9 modded game. Never use a mod that doesn't state it's for the specific version you use. Don't expect any older TMO version of an interior mod (or any other version of a mod) to work with the newer TMO 2.5 unless it states it does.

Now, this brings us to a specific question of "What kind of procedures have you done in adding/removing mods?" It's important that you know a few "rules" in order to add/remove mods to your game.

Use JSGME, but you should have made a "Snapshot" of your stock game files just after installing it. I'm talking about having a "Snapshot" of a freshly installed SH4 game. It does no good in having a snapshot of the stock game files if you've already been modding the files. This "snapshot" will be used to compare the files to what's in your stock game after you've been using JSGME for a while, and for some reason things don't seem to be working as they should. Without it, you'll not know if your stock game has been corrupted or not.

Will your stock game become corrupted? Heck yes!!! Believe me, JSGME wouldn't include this snapshot feature if it thought it's application was fool proof. File's get left behind/changed due to several reasons. Mainly due to "operator error"......that means YOU. How? One easy way is to remove a mod out of sequence. Take for instance your list of mods:

RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
LST_TMO
1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 16 to 9 RSRDCv502
TMO19_interior3d_GATO_USSDRUM
TMO19_interior3d_PORPOISE_overhaul
TMO19_interior3d_SCLASS_overhaul
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix for v1.4 and v1.5
SH4-UltimateSoundPack

If you decide to remove the three TMO19_interior mods, but don't follow the proper sequence of removing the SH4-UltimateSoundPack first, then the Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix second, BEFORE the other three, you'll have a problem. JSGME tries to keep track of the files changed as you add more and more, but it's going to forget what's been changed if you remove mods out of sequence.

Also, you have to have a working knowledge of what files get changed, and understand that if you add a mod, what will it do to a file that's already been changed by a previous mod. The responsibility is left to you to know why something was reworked and what the changed outcome will be to the other mods in your list.

Second ask yourself, did these mods get added/removed while I'm in port? AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, am I trying to reload a saved point that didn't have the same mod list that I'm using now?

The saved game files are found in the "My Documents" folder under a folder name "SH4" on a Windows XP OS. The Windows 7 OS will have it under a different folder, but the "SH4" folder will still be produced every time you start the game. It keeps track of the main "options" you set your game to (like monitor resolution), but it also keeps all your saved game points under different folder's within the "SH4" folder. The nuts and bolts to this is there are .UPC files that are changed by the mods you have in your list. These .UPC files change various things. The specifics aren't important, but you need to know..... when the main game has .upc files that are different than what the .UPC saved game files are, you'll have a big problem in getting the saved game to work. You'll get CTD's that may not show up until the different files are accessed later in the game, or the saved game won't load at all. Every time you're "in port" the next mission/patrol you start has the current .upc files put into the "SH4" saved game folders for that particular mission/patrol. Trying to go back to a former saved point that doesn't have the same basic game setup is asking for trouble.

Lastly, I'm no fan of Steam (or any other download site that provides only down loadable files and not a hand held disk to keep your purchase on). From what I've heard, Steam has had only version 1.3 for their download of the game. The purchase may be inexpensive, but not what you want if you'll need to reinstall the entire game when problems arise.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-04-12 at 11:23 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 03:00 PM   #4041
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO

CaptainScurvy is so right on this subject ! thanks for clarifying this up from our suggestions on how to resolve saved game issues.
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:31 AM   #4042
Robin40
Chief

Downloads: 162

Mod list
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Nav Map Make-Over v. 1.2
NMMO v1.2 Patch 1
NMMO Airbase Add-on
NMMO Airbase Add-on Patch 1
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
CAPTAIN_MIDNIGHTS_CBS_RADD
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Carotio_SH4_Big_Moon

Started patrol in Cavite on 8Dec
Difficulty Hard

Found a convoy on 18Dec 87nm SSE Toko(Formosa), Nippon Maru sunk
Sunk Taihosan Maru on 26Dec in East China Sea
Weather always the same from 18Dec (Clear, Fog light, Wind 15)...no record before
Under constat air attack on day hours

To sum up
very rare traffic
weather almost constant
very frequent air attacks

Is it normal?
Robin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:36 AM   #4043
Encrusted_Garlic
Watch

Downloads: 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Lastly, I'm no fan of Steam (or any other download site that provides only down loadable files and not a hand held disk to keep your purchase on). From what I've heard, Steam has had only version 1.3 for their download of the game. The purchase may be inexpensive, but not what you want if you'll need to reinstall the entire game when problems arise.
CapnScurvy knows what he is talking about! I wish i had such clear instruction way back when i started modding.

I actually first bought the game on steam.... and although they do have the 1.5 version, it just seems that the install through steam runs the game at like 2\3 speed\efficiency compared to non-steam installs... I actually ended having to crack the game (legally since I own a serial key) to get if off steam and on my PC as any other game... load times seem faster and the game just feels more stable.... stay away from steam if you can!

Windows 7 64x
Asus M4A88TD-V Sata6gb Motherboard
AMD Phenom II Quad Core 4.2
16gb Corsair RAM
600w Corsair Power Supply
A50 Corsair CPU Cooler
XFX Radeon HD 7850 with Ghost Thermal
Encrusted_Garlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 04:13 AM   #4044
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183
Uploads: 2

I have a problem with CTDs when infiltrating enemy ports such as Tokyo bay and many others. When I get within a couple of miles from the target and click to see the periscope view or the camera view I always get CTD. As long as I stay away from enemy ports everything is OK. My own ports seem unafected. Anyone else have this problem?

Mod List

1_TMO_25small_patch
Medals fix IV for v1.5-TMO by Latency
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_OTC for 8 to 5 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 8 to 5 RSRDCv502
Small Radar Contacts Stage 1
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix
Webster's New Desk Photo
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
KGMB Radio station
British Army Omega Chrono Red Hands Black Face
SS212 USS GATO_GATO Combo HI-RES V 1.0
SS399 USS Seacat_BALAO HI-RES Weathered
Pacific Sound Mod

All mods applied with JGSME whilst in port. PC Specks way over what is needed, no trouble with RFB and WDAD. G5.
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 04:29 AM   #4045
Klaus
Officer

Downloads: 614

First try to use a single ship mod, not gato and balao in same time
then, are you sure about aspect ratio? they are not much monitors to use a 8/5 resolution and a wrong resolution can give you CTD's
Good luck
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 06:44 AM   #4046
GalaxianFive
A-ganger

Downloads: 183
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus View Post
First try to use a single ship mod, not gato and balao in same time
then, are you sure about aspect ratio? they are not much monitors to use a 8/5 resolution and a wrong resolution can give you CTD's
Good luck
Resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050, hence 8/5. I will try without Gato and Balao mods. G5
GalaxianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 08:12 AM   #4047
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Often CTDs in or near a port can be eliminated by the use of Large Address Aware or the 4GB Patch for SH4. You might try it. Even if you are running Windows 7, SH4 is older code which does not automatically request as much memory as W7 can supply. The patch fixes that.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 09:28 AM   #4048
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxianFive View Post
I have a problem with CTDs when infiltrating enemy ports such as Tokyo bay and many others. When I get within a couple of miles from the target and click to see the periscope view or the camera view I always get CTD. As long as I stay away from enemy ports everything is OK. My own ports seem unafected. Anyone else have this problem?

Mod List

1_TMO_25small_patch
Medals fix IV for v1.5-TMO by Latency
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_OTC for 8 to 5 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5_OTC_Realistic Scopes for 8 to 5 RSRDCv502
Small Radar Contacts Stage 1
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix
Webster's New Desk Photo
Improved Stock Environment_v3_TMO&RFB
KGMB Radio station
British Army Omega Chrono Red Hands Black Face
SS212 USS GATO_GATO Combo HI-RES V 1.0
SS399 USS Seacat_BALAO HI-RES Weathered
Pacific Sound Mod

All mods applied with JGSME whilst in port. PC Specks way over what is needed, no trouble with RFB and WDAD. G5.
Much like this reply, just a couple of posts before yours. You need to know what these mods do and what specific files are in them that can change the same files that were previously loaded.

For one thing, the "1_TMO_25small_patch" claims (in its introduction) that it may work, or may not. I wouldn't put a mod into the line-up with that kind of recommendation. What's it change, I don't know. But you should look at every folder/file within it and see if another mod down the list changes the same file. If it does, why load a mod that is rendered useless by the addition of a later added mod?

That medals fix mod by Latency? TMO 2.5 has a medals fix already included. Ducimus was an early contributor to fixing the medals in the game. So am I. My contributions were to change the "order" of distribution......making sure the bottom tier award was given for the least amount of recorded tonage, and so on up the ladder. Also, I put into the game the Navy Commendation Medal and the Pacific Campaign Medal, removing the Medal of Honor and Distinguished Service Medal. Both TMO and OTC fix the medals in their proper order and appearance. What Latency did is simply copy our work. Why include it? For all I know, his doesn't fix the order of distribution which is in a .upc file. If you read the reply I mentioned, you know why .upc files are important to saved games and CTD's

"Small Radar Contacts Stage 1".... I've already included small radar blips with the OTC radar. Why include it?

I don't know about the rest of the list, but then again, it's not my setup. That's why you need to know what's in it because it's your game that's being effected.

After saying this, I highly recommend what BigWalleye told you about the "Large Address Aware" app found HERE. You say "your computer specs are way over what is needed". If you have greater than 2 gig of memory on your system, no matter what the Operating System, you will benefit from the Large Address Aware feature. The app simply tells the older SH4 game to use the additional memory that's on your system. The game doesn't know there is additional memory to be used when its needed. This app sets a flag on the SH4 .exe file to use the additional memory. It's made the game run much better on the computers that have the extra memory. When you say the CTD's occur when you're near a port, it's because there is extra activity there. Ships being rendered, ships animated, and moving about. The port is animated with moving trucks, people. All need extra memory to be rendered.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-10-12 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-10-12, 09:42 AM   #4049
Stewmeat95
Watch

Downloads: 14

Whenever i try installing the mod using JSGME, The program crashes and I can't install, the same happens with the real fleet boat mod, but i can install smaller mods like natural sinking mechanics and sub skins. I tried reinstalling JSGME from the link on subsim in the downloads, thinking maybe i had an old version, however that didnt fix it. Any ideas?
Stewmeat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 10:15 AM   #4050
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewmeat95 View Post
Whenever i try installing the mod using JSGME, The program crashes and I can't install, the same happens with the real fleet boat mod, but i can install smaller mods like natural sinking mechanics and sub skins. I tried reinstalling JSGME from the link on subsim in the downloads, thinking maybe i had an old version, however that didnt fix it. Any ideas?
I've never had JSGME crash on me. Boy, that's a tuff one.

JSGME loads several files into the main Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific folder. You may want to delete these files, and reinstall. If you have a "MODS" folder, rename it before reinstalling JSGME. Once JSGME is reinstalled, open the .exe file to run JSGME. You should find no mods on the left side of the page. Exit out of JSGME, and open your old "MODS" folder. Copy/paste the specific mods from the older folder into the new one. Leave the JSGME created files that are in the old "MODS" folder behind. Delete the old "MODS" folder. Now open JSGME, you should see the left side populated with your mods. Try it now.

Maybe the older JSGME created files were corrupted, or maybe they were from a different version. Especially if you just moved your old MODS folder over to the new install.

Quote: