Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-20, 02:18 PM   #4021
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Solution is quite easy: Stop testing, and the numbers go down
Weasels are beautiful animals.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 06:45 PM   #4022
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Reminds me of a situation regarding police-generated crime stats here in LA a while back; the LAPD was touting how gang-related crime and homicides had decreased in a run up to new budget funding; the LA Times and a couple of local TV news outlets did a little digging into the LAPD claims and found a interesting fact; the LAPD was only classifying a crime as gang related only if both the perp and the victim were gang members; this meant if a gang member committed a crime and the victim wasn't a gang member, then the crime was not counted as 'gang-related'; the decrease in 'gang-related' crime the LAPD was touting was an artifice and, when the stats were corrected to accurately record the actual level of 'gang-related' crimes, there was a net increase in gang crime; ignoring the crime didn't stop it happening and never will...

It was a ridiculously stupid idea to try and manipulate the reality of the severity of a critical situation just to make the 'numbers' look good for political reasons and it backfired spectacularly; if you are going to fight something, intel is your strongest weapon; the more you know about the nature and scale of your adversary, the better equipped you are to fight and defeat it; if an enemy army is building up on your borders, ignoring it neither decreases the threat nor arms you adequately to defeat it...

I've said it before: I have very strong confidence Trump will either say or do something to torpedo his reelection, and, so far, he is not disappointing...

Covid-19 will not stop spreading, maiming or killing just because Trump, his minions, and the Trumpettes aree more concerned about his poll numbers than they are about the numbers of US citizens suffering from the outbreak and their ignorance (in all aspects of the definition of the word) only serves to worsen an already bad situation...

<O>
Old 06-21-20, 11:03 PM   #4023
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Yea, I agree with Trump is doing a good job torpedoing his reelection chances.. still, like our Democratic gov closed down a rural racetrack that about 500 may attend on a weekend as a health risk not social distancing, then the next day he's shoulder to shoulder marching with 1000's of protesters.. Like Bill Maher said...no matter what stupid crap Trump says or does, Dems will say "hold my beer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Reminds me of a situation regarding police-generated crime stats here in LA a while back; the LAPD was touting how gang-related crime and homicides had decreased in a run up to new budget funding; the LA Times and a couple of local TV news outlets did a little digging into the LAPD claims and found a interesting fact; the LAPD was only classifying a crime as gang related only if both the perp and the victim were gang members; this meant if a gang member committed a crime and the victim wasn't a gang member, then the crime was not counted as 'gang-related'; the decrease in 'gang-related' crime the LAPD was touting was an artifice and, when the stats were corrected to accurately record the actual level of 'gang-related' crimes, there was a net increase in gang crime; ignoring the crime didn't stop it happening and never will...

It was a ridiculously stupid idea to try and manipulate the reality of the severity of a critical situation just to make the 'numbers' look good for political reasons and it backfired spectacularly; if you are going to fight something, intel is your strongest weapon; the more you know about the nature and scale of your adversary, the better equipped you are to fight and defeat it; if an enemy army is building up on your borders, ignoring it neither decreases the threat nor arms you adequately to defeat it...

I've said it before: I have very strong confidence Trump will either say or do something to torpedo his reelection, and, so far, he is not disappointing...

Covid-19 will not stop spreading, maiming or killing just because Trump, his minions, and the Trumpettes aree more concerned about his poll numbers than they are about the numbers of US citizens suffering from the outbreak and their ignorance (in all aspects of the definition of the word) only serves to worsen an already bad situation...

<O>

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 01:33 AM   #4024
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Yea, I agree with Trump is doing a good job torpedoing his reelection chances.. still, like our Democratic gov closed down a rural racetrack that about 500 may attend on a weekend as a health risk not social distancing, then the next day he's shoulder to shoulder marching with 1000's of protesters.. Like Bill Maher said...no matter what stupid crap Trump says or does, Dems will say "hold my beer".

Two wrongs don't make a right and two stupidities don't cancel each other out; neither deserves to be tolerated if you don't like them come election day...

As for "hold my beer", Trump is well on his way to building a brewery with all the 'beers' he's left on hold...

...and as far as torpedoing, the SS Trumptanic is taking a full spread at the hands of its own captain...

<O>
Old 06-22-20, 04:31 AM   #4025
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

World Health Organization records highest one-day increase in total cases, with 183,000 added in one day.

Most came from Brazil, followed by the US and India.

The high level of confirmed cases is partly down to a global increase in testing.

Brazil passes 50,000 Covid-19 deaths; only the US has more.

UK PM Boris Johnson will discuss reducing the 2m rule, with a decision expected on Tuesday.

South Korea is going through a 'second wave' of coronavirus, officials say, even though new infections are falling.

France is re-opening cinemas, swimming pools and holiday centres. All children up to 15 are back at school.

Globally, there have been almost 9m confirmed cases since the outbreak began, with 467,000 deaths.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:26 AM   #4026
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Exactly. A far more telling indicator is the death rate. Here in the US it has continued to trend downward even as the number of cases increases.

yes, I was going to post the same thing, you see the same thing in Canada.

focusing on the number of cases is the wrong metric IMHO. The whole idea behind the lockdown was preventing the health system from being overwhelmed, so the key data points are how many patients require hospitalisation and how many die.

The raw number of Covid-19 cases itself is in a sense irrelevent since apparently up to 80% of people who test positive show no symptoms.
Old 06-22-20, 01:12 PM   #4027
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

From 6 July those in England most vulnerable to the virus will have more freedom to see other people.

UK government reviewing whether 2m rule on social distancing in England should be reduced to 1m.

Greatest threat is not the virus itself but lack of global solidarity and leadership - WHO.

Old 06-22-20, 01:15 PM   #4028
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The total number of cases worldwide has now exceeded nine million, according to the count kept by the US-based Johns Hopkins University.

It says the exact number of global infections is 9,003,042.

A total of 469,122 people have now died.

Old 06-22-20, 01:47 PM   #4029
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Just for the record: such numbers are never "exact" counts, but are calculated projections. The quality depends on the model construction on which they base. Some counts go into the formula, and the projection then covering also areas where there were no or unprecise/incomplete counts. Also, time delays by reporting data distort the overall calculated result. The latter is one thign that espoecialyl the Germans are especially bad in , that is why even over here the Johns Hopkins numbers get reported mostly and in the first, whereas those from the national Robert Koch Institut - which is no researching institute but a department of the German health ministry, a state office - play a subordinate role only. The American models are better, and their data processing is faster. Still, even these are no exact counts, but calculated projections.

"Counting" and "exact" should not be taken literally in these contexts.

Just saying, for entertainment.
Old 06-22-20, 02:01 PM   #4030
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This graph speaks a clear language on the differences between how the pandemic is going in the EU ands in the US.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/20...ta-ldn-vpx.cnn

population EU: 446 million
population US: 328 million.

If somebody wonders why it looks as if I now count less people in "Europe" compared to an earlier opportunity in some post severla days ago: that past number was on whole of europe. The EU covers only a part of Europe. Europe has 741-747 million population. That latter count include srussia, a detail with which I absolutely disagree. To me, Russia is Russia: not Europe, not Asia, but a sphere of its own with transition zones to both neighbouring regions.
Old 06-23-20, 03:44 AM   #4031
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-23-20, 03:54 AM   #4032
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Cases in Florida surge past 100,000, the seventh US state to reach the mark.

New infections are spiking in several US states as the country reopens.

Saudi Arabia has said the Hajj pilgrimage will go ahead but with no international visitors.

Cases are rising in Victoria, Australia, raising fears a second wave might be coming.

UN chief Antonio Guterres has thanked health workers for their "remarkable acts of service to humankind"

UK PM Boris Johnson is expected to say pubs, cinemas and galleries will be able to reopen in England from 4 July.

Worldwide there have been more than 9 million virus cases and 471,000 deaths.

Old 06-23-20, 04:03 AM   #4033
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The Scottish government will make a decision on reopening outdoor spaces at pubs and restaurants on or around 2 July. The hospitality sector in Scotland has been told to prepare to reopen on 15 July.

The next review of Wales's lockdown measures is due on 9 July. The Welsh government has promised talks with the hospitality sector about a "potential phased" reopening of pubs, cafes and restaurants, but no dates have been given.

In Northern Ireland, pubs, hotels, cafes, bars and restaurants can open from 3 July.

Online grocery shopping in the UK was up 115% in the four weeks to 13 June, compared with the same period last year, new analysis reported by Reuters has shown.

A new surge of coronavirus cases in the Portuguese capital has forced the authorities to bring back lockdown measures in a number of Lisbon's suburban districts. Outdoor gatherings are again limited to 10 people, shops must close by 20:00 local time and restaurants must stop serving drinks by the same hour.

Car sales in Europe will drop by 25% this year, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.

Crisis talks are taking place in North Rhine-Westphalia in Germany after an outbreak of infections linked to the Tönnies meat processing plant. Regional officials may reimpose lockdown restrictions in the area after 1,553 workers were infected.

In the US state of Texas, the virus is said to be spreading at "an unacceptable rate", with the governor warning that tougher restrictions could be needed to control it.

Hong Kong reported 30 new imported Covid-19 cases on Monday - its biggest increase since early April.

A supercomputer in Japan is being deployed in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
The large machine, named Fugaku, is being used to simulate how droplets would spread in office spaces with partitions installed or in packed trains with the windows open.

Old 06-23-20, 10:12 AM   #4034
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-23-20, 10:15 AM   #4035
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK PM Boris Johnson tells MPs that restaurants, pubs and hairdressers will reopen in England from 4 July.

Mr Johnson says 2m distancing rule is being reduced to 1m plus.

Cinemas, museums and other attractions will also reopen, but not "close proximity" venues like indoor gyms.

Two German districts re-introduce lockdown after 1,553 workers test positive at Tönnies meat processing plant.

World tennis number one Novak Djokovic tests positive for Covid-19 after playing in his Adria Tour tournament.

Daily UK briefing will end - briefings to take place only for significant announcements instead.

Saudi Arabia has said the Hajj pilgrimage will go ahead but with no international visitors.

Worldwide there have been more than 9 million virus cases and 471,000 deaths.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan