SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-11, 09:04 PM   #4006
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

One of my first SS that I came acroos, think it was first carrier I sunk in game...edited for lightness it appears.

Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 11:02 PM   #4007
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Nice pic of the flat top goin' down!

My first carrier was on whim, I decided to plot my course to see if by chance I could intercept the Midway TF, after loading up TMO 1.7(?) I think it was. And low and behold, I did run across them!

I unloaded all 6 tubes, and had 3 strike a carrier, and one more hit one of the cruisers and the other 2 missed their marks, but that was because the ships slowed to like 7 or 8 knots and started turning.

I then spent the next 8 or 9 hours evading up to 10 destroyers bent on terminating my career.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-11, 09:10 AM   #4008
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

Very nice shot Armistead
Old 12-18-11, 08:54 PM   #4009
eschemschnuz
Shore leave

Location: Page 58 of the posting list on the Captains' Roster
Downloads: 8
Default Eschem Schnuz's Letters, Monsun Group

Dear Onkel Karl,

How are you? I am fine.

Thank you for the new (and unexpected) assignment. I will do my best.

Other than the fact that I sunk nearly 200,000 tons of enemy merchant shipping this last patrol, I can't really recall anything else particularly noteworthy, except that it was long - over two months. Again, I must register my protest against having to include South Africa as part of my patrol range. If that is your final word on the matter, then at the very least, please consider increasing our presence in the Indian Ocean. If your humble nephew can sink 200,000 in one patrol, just think what can be done with a dozen commanders infinitely more capable and experienced than myself!

The secret to any continued success is no secret at all: if Group Monsun is to operate at optimum capacity, we simply must have more boats over here.

Respectfully yours,
Eschem

PS: I fear that language may not be the only barrier between us and the Japanese. Every time there's a joint staff meeting to be had, their officials keep fiddling with their swords in front of us. Almost makes me glad to be out at sea. Almost.

RTDS: 13
NCLU: 1

Last edited by eschemschnuz; 12-19-11 at 04:46 AM.
eschemschnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-11, 11:22 PM   #4010
Howard313
Engineer

Downloads: 102

Nothing too fancy here for now, just testing out the graphics of my new pc. It runs quite smooth and I am very satisfied with it's performance.

Rather new to this game so I'll just snap em as I see em.

This one is from my second patrol en-route to my objective, I saw a pretty full moon out and decided to take a shot of it.

Howard313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-11, 06:31 PM   #4011
eschemschnuz
Shore leave

Dear Onkel Karl,

How are you? I am fine.

There have been rumours that plans to produce "Walter"
have recently been scrapped. I believe this to be a mistake of unimaginable proportions. I have just recently returned from U-796's maiden patrol, and my men and I can testify first-hand: this is the best boat we've ever been on.

Yes, there was a huge learning curve, but most of it had to do with "un-learning" all the tricks of the trade that came with the Type VII's and Type IX's. If you wish, I could help write a new training manual for the Akademie. In not so many words, the Type XVIII will enable the u-boat to become hunters again. No more silent prayers in the deep and hearing that damn pinging - we can start chasing after the destroyers now!

Nevertheless, it's still the same old routine against the bees. Maybe we could start designing flying u-boats...

Respectfully yours,
Eschem

PS: I also heard that there is a new design in the works, and that it retains much of what "Walter" had. If it is even remotely close to the Type XVIII, there may yet be hope that we can end this war sooner rather than later.

RTDS: 2
NCLU: 2

Last edited by eschemschnuz; 12-28-11 at 02:12 PM.
eschemschnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 12:32 PM   #4012
eschemschnuz
Shore leave

Dear Onkel Karl,

How are you? I am fine.

Went down to the southern Indian Ocean and wiped out an enemy convoy. I think I've developed a thirst for "zerst
örer blood".

Also got the chance to try out the new 38 twin flaks. Can't complain.

If there's one bad thing I can think of about "Walter" right now, it's that destroyer tonnage is hardly anything to brag home about.

Respectfully yours,
Eschem

NCLU: 0
Old 12-23-11, 01:22 AM   #4013
eschemschnuz
Shore leave

Dear Onkel Karl,

How are you? I am fine.

Please do not be too angry with me. Allow me to explain myself.

It is quite evident from my last couple of letters that I have been gushing about how good "Walter" is. Well, this patrol I found out its weaknesses, and there are many. The fuel tank immediately comes to mind.

Naturally, I went out to sea believing I could prove the engineers wrong, got a rush of blood to the head and went after an enemy task force against explicit orders to focus on merchant shipping.

If nothing else, at least I'm beginning to understand why "Walter" was eventually scrapped. For the Type XVIII to function at its best, everything has to be inch-perfect. Not a dent, not a scratch, nothing.
However, perfect patrol runs are rarely the case, and unfortunately, "Walter"'s ability to function in less than optimal conditions is severely compromised. Its recovery rate is agonizingly slow, and slow is not a good thing.

I sincerely apologize for being "over-the-top" in my enthusiasm for the Type XVIII. If possible, please convey my best wishes to everyone involved in the development of the new u-boat.

Respectfully yours,
Eschem

NCLU: 4
Old 12-23-11, 02:15 PM   #4014
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Heading out from Midway to drop an agent in Guam,

Charging the batteries after spending the daylight hours beneath the waves,

---------------------

Old 12-23-11, 03:40 PM   #4015
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 01:44 AM   #4016
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126

Mods: TMO 2.5

Patrol 1: USS Nautilus
I was given command of USS Nautilus operating out of Pearl in 41'
Our first mission was to insert in agent on some peninsula off in Japan...
As we leave the admirals cheer us on:

The band does the same:

We encounter the USS Nevada on the way out:

We then refit at Midway:

Then we head over to Empire waters and insert our agent friend:

On the way back we encounter a merchant of 6,000 tonnes:

We fire a salvo of four fish at it all bounced off the hull thank god we have those 2 5 inch guns:

On the way back I got bored so:

Dinsdale was in port at the time:

DINSDALE!!! how many times do I have to tell you not to park your sub in front of the entrance to the dock!!!

So that's the patrol we inserted a agent and sunk 6,000 tones.

Last edited by USS Drum; 12-28-11 at 01:24 AM.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-11, 05:45 AM   #4017
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Looks good! Love the water! And the "fog" effects. I know it sucks with the bridge watch, but setting the option to have fog, also decreses the visibility of searchplanes finding you too. The downside,................... like the enemy, you can't see as far either. Makes it more challenging before SJ radar, but the hydrophones maore than make up for it. Especially once you get a basic idea of the direction of the intended victim(s).

Cloud reflections on the water are kickin'! Nice effect! Now I have to make the decision to wait until I finish my career in 2.2, as I just reinstalled 2 weeks ago to add 2.2. But the new effects on the water are very enticing.

Thanks Ducimus!

---------------------

Old 12-25-11, 08:37 PM   #4018
eschemschnuz
Shore leave

Dear Onkel Karl,

How are you? I am fine - somewhat.

Forgive my candour, but all this espionage business is getting tiresome. Don't we have people who do this as a full-time job?

Our nerves are all frayed, my crew and mine. Having to stay submerged, in shallow waters, in a giant of a tub, without any snorkel, for hours on end, and enter the enemy's harbour, AND remain undetected, can do that to you.

Even more perturbing for me personally is that I have been having no luck whatsoever in sinking capital ships of any kind recently. From what I can tell, it is only possible to attack them either head-on or get involved in a "rear-ender", because approaching from abeam is virtually useless - it's almost as if they can outrun the eels, even the Zaunkonigs. Do you know if other boats are having similar issues?

Respectfully yours,
Eschem

Old 12-27-11, 01:00 PM   #4019
eschemschnuz
Shore leave

Dear Onkel Karl,

How are you? I am fine - only just.

I was hoping to provide something for you and the U-boat arm to cheer about, what with losing our French bases and all. Unfortunately, the only good news I can impart is that we only just escaped being sawed in half by a ramming attempt.

In hindsight, maybe it would have been better if we had rendezvoused with our auxiliary cruisers off the Indian subcontinent and waited, rather than take on the task force early on. I originally reasoned that if we didn't cut the enemy off then, we would never cut them off in time before they reached their intended destination.

Oh, well - at least we now have more to commiserate about. Misery loves company.

Respectfully yours,
Eschem

RTDS: 1
Old 12-27-11, 11:00 PM   #4020
IonicRipper
Engineer

Downloads: 103

Just started a new career (1942) and the first mission they give me is to recon the Tokyo bay... Seriously? They're sending a brand new commander straight out of naval school to infiltrate one of the enemy's busiest harbor?

I took the mission and went in there thinking its a suicide mission and i'll just start another one if and when i get caught (no where to run in there, right.) Turns out i went in and out at periscope depth and at 2 knots without a hitch, even had the weather on my side long enough to pop up and recharge my batteries a bit.

My heart was racing throughout the whole 2 days i was in there (figuratively speaking, amen for TC.) Its been a while i had such sensations in any SH game.
IonicRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screenshots