SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-09, 04:50 AM   #376
Lzs von swe
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

This is from the bible, the GWX 3.0 manual.

Saved Games
• Restoring a game that you saved when your U-boat was submerged can lead to instability. This is a stock Silent Hunter III issue that GWX is unable to address, other than to recommend most strongly that you not save your game while your U-boat is submerged.

• Players who have just one career in stock
Silent Hunter III will occasionally find their career has no saved games, even though you successfully saved your most recent game, and the save game files are present in their proper career folder. This is a stock Silent Hunter III behavior and seems to happen when you have deleted the career named after your ―player name‖ and replaced it with a name of your own creation), so the GWX team suggests you create a ―dummy‖ career (e.g., for Leutnant z. S. Fubar) before starting your real career to ensure this does not happen.
If this does happen 1. Find the folder that holds your career,
e.g., C:\Documents and Settings\Pablo\My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\Pablo 2. Append ―x‖ to the filename so it is renamed, for example, ―C:\...\Careers\Pablox‖ 3. Exit and restart Silent Hunter III, then verify if Silent Hunter III can now read the contents of the ―new save game‖ save game: if so, you can rename the career back to its original name. If not, you will need to start a new career.

Old 07-23-09, 05:29 AM   #377
Cambaz
Gunner

Downloads: 300

Thanks for that helpful information and link Lzs von swe I got my career back, it works thank you again
Old 08-14-09, 04:55 PM   #378
JMV
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 179
Default To all newbies

There is a brand new Hydrophone tutorial at this post ( for non moving sub ) :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=154461
IMHO it's the easiest and most accurate so far. More videos are in in the making for when your submarine is moving and later convoys.
JMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 05:10 PM   #379
Cambaz
Gunner

Multiple and Synchronized Attacks and Tactics

Ahoy dear Kaleuns,

I want to ask about multiple and synchronized attacks and tactics, for example when attacking a convoy for taking down 2 ships in the same time is there a way to do that in SHIII? If it is, please could somebody explain this tactics to me ? because I used this synchronized attacking tactics at SHIV with fleet boats with using slow and fast torpedo options...

Last edited by Cambaz; 11-14-09 at 04:33 PM.
Cambaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 07:03 PM   #380
malspal
Nub

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crécy View Post
What means for example BE2234? What are those numbers?
Don't know if you got the answer,but it is simple grid referincing.
BE22 is the area on the map. Imagine the area divided by 10 vertical lines and 10 horizontal lines ie 100 small squares.The 34 gives you a more accurate position.
Remember "you have to go across before you go up" a bit like the sex thing!!
So the 3 is the third square across and the 4 is the 4th square up, where they meet is your position.
malspal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 01:19 AM   #381
Dissaray
中国水兵

Downloads: 35

Synchronized attacks are definatly possible. How best to go about doing this is a little tricky. You could launch torpidos at diferant speeds, i.e. the first torpido at slow speed and then wait x number of seconds and then fire a torpido at fast speed. The trick is geting that time, x, figured right. If you hit F6 you should be able to see at the end of the green trajectory line the time it will take the torpido to travle what ever distance you have put into the TDC. The diferance in the time between a fast and a slow torpido time would be the ammount of time you would have to wait between firing.

Alternitivly you could fire at targets in diferant colums of the convoy. If you shoot at a target in the colum furthest from you the torpido will take longer to get there than one shot at the nearest colum. Again you can find that time diferance with the TDC screen and adjust the timing of yor shots accordingly.

Those are the two best ways I know of geting the desired effect. With the convoy all travaling the same course and speed it should be fairly easy to get the time diferance calculated, just give your self a little extra time in your set up for the attack. If you were looking for an automated method I don't know of any.

Last edited by Dissaray; 11-20-09 at 02:12 AM.
Dissaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 02:45 AM   #382
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by malspal View Post
Don't know if you got the answer,but it is simple grid referincing.
BE22 is the area on the map. Imagine the area divided by 10 vertical lines and 10 horizontal lines ie 100 small squares.The 34 gives you a more accurate position.
Remember "you have to go across before you go up" a bit like the sex thing!!
So the 3 is the third square across and the 4 is the 4th square up, where they meet is your position.
Unfortunately this is not correct. The Kriegsmarine grid system is not a coordinate system you know from math classes, it works different. The map is divided into zones (quadrants) named with 2 letter-code. Each zone is then divided into 9 equal size smaller zones, the pattern is like:
Code:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
Each such zone is divided into 9 smaller zones, and again, and again.

Thus BE22 means: quadrant BE, zone 2, subzone 2, subsubzones 1-9 [all]
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 03:51 PM   #383
Cambaz
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissaray View Post
Synchronized attacks are definatly possible. How best to go about doing this is a little tricky. You could launch torpidos at diferant speeds, i.e. the first torpido at slow speed and then wait x number of seconds and then fire a torpido at fast speed. The trick is geting that time, x, figured right. If you hit F6 you should be able to see at the end of the green trajectory line the time it will take the torpido to travle what ever distance you have put into the TDC. The diferance in the time between a fast and a slow torpido time would be the ammount of time you would have to wait between firing.

Alternitivly you could fire at targets in diferant colums of the convoy. If you shoot at a target in the colum furthest from you the torpido will take longer to get there than one shot at the nearest colum. Again you can find that time diferance with the TDC screen and adjust the timing of yor shots accordingly.

Those are the two best ways I know of geting the desired effect. With the convoy all travaling the same course and speed it should be fairly easy to get the time diferance calculated, just give your self a little extra time in your set up for the attack. If you were looking for an automated method I don't know of any.
Thank you for this helpful information Dissaray after the exams and juries I will return to my career and try that tactics... thanks again
Old 11-21-09, 04:22 PM   #384
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

just wanted to greet all of you out there in rough seas!
i'm new to the game and the forum as well.
just wanted to express my gratefulness for the help a newbie is able to get here. and to jimbuna for his nice welcome!

just one thing i found out at my 2nd mission:
i cannot spot any ships!
was travelling to my designated grid, stayed there for about two days. then thought i maybe should go for the harbours in the near. visited the shetlands, the orkneys, then the east coast of england. but there weren't any ships at all!
just got attacked twice by planes, but they didn't manage to do any harm.

is there something i do wrong??

atm, i'm cruising south to the channel. if i can't track ships there, i nowhere will.
Old 12-01-09, 11:52 AM   #385
timwatson
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Default how far from the Bismark are the British intercepted?

I'm relatively new to this subsim site. I think someone sent the above message to me, but I haven't figured out how to find their message and reply to them.

Is there a subsim "user manual" available to answer questions?

Am also trying to figure out how to find a subsim "friend" with whom I can correspond.

Thanks for this really informative thread.

kaleun Rolfe Hass
Old 12-01-09, 05:16 PM   #386
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

the problems I had (described them in a posting above) were easily to solve:
just had to roll back the "Black Sea missions - mod", then everything worked just fine.
Old 12-31-09, 08:16 PM   #387
Terragon
Sailor man

Downloads: 12

Might already have been answered, but I read somewhere (maybe in an old navy textbook), that the surest way to sink a ship is to go for a stern shot. Is SHIII accurate in portraying this? Or is a hit a hit?
Old 01-05-10, 01:43 PM   #388
Flopper
Weps

Downloads: 107
Default inoperative gramophone

Newbie here.

Last sub sim I played was on a Commodore 64. Was snowed in over the holidays, and discovered SH3 on steam. Now fully obsessed.

For some reason the gramophone doesn't play anything. I can play ogg files in win media player with codec, but for some reason the gramophone doesn't work.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\silent hunter 3\data\Sound\Gramophone has ogg files and one mp3 file.

The buttons highlight on hover, but nothing happens when I click. I have installed GWX (nice!), but it never even worked stock.

My OS is XP MCE. Any clues?

** Edit: Yeah. Check the music volume. **

Last edited by Flopper; 01-24-10 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Solved the issue
Flopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 03:31 PM   #389
danasan
Elite Spam Hunter

Downloads: 39

That path seems to be correct.
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\silent hunter 3\data\Sound\Gramophone has ogg files and one mp3 file.

As far as I know, the Gramophone is only able to play .mp3 files. So try to just cut the ogg files out of that folder above.

Maybe check out the awesome collections here to get some stuff:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128841

I hope, it is not a codecs problem in your OS...
danasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 07:52 AM   #390
Carve
Watch

Downloads: 0

Hi, I have just started my 5th patrol and have yet to come across a single vessel. What am I doing wrong?
Carve is offline   Reply With Quote