SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-25-22, 12:25 PM   #346
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Rishi Sunak is reshuffling his cabinet after many of Liz Truss's ministers resigned or were sacked.

Jeremy Hunt will remain as chancellor - he took on the role after Kwasi Kwarteng's disastrous mini-budget, swiftly scrapping most of it.

Suella Braverman is reappointed as home secretary, a week after resigning from the same role, and Grant Shapps replaces Jacob Rees-Mogg as business secretary.

Michael Gove returns to the cabinet as levelling up secretary, Dominic Raab returns as deputy PM and justice secretary, and James Cleverly stays as foreign secretary.

Sunak's former leadership rival Penny Mordaunt remains as leader of the House of Commons.

Meanwhile, Steve Barclay returns as health secretary replacing Therese Coffey who takes on the role of environment secretary.

Sunak officially became UK prime minister earlier today after meeting King Charles at Buckingham Palace.

In his first speech outside No 10, he said the UK was facing a "profound economic crisis" and that he would fix some of Liz Truss's mistakes.

In a short farewell speech earlier, Truss defended her legacy of trying to push through tax cuts and said leaders needed to be bold.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-22, 05:42 AM   #347
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt announces that the government's economic plan to repair the UK's finances will be delayed until 17 November.

Hunt says the announcement, originally due on Monday, will be upgraded to a full Autumn Statement - calling the delay "prudent"

It comes as new Prime Minister Rishi Sunak prepares to face Labour leader Keir Starmer in his first PMQs at midday.

He is expected to face tough questioning over the state of the economy, tax and plans for public spending cuts.

Opposition figures may also focus on the reappointment of Suella Braverman as home secretary just six days after she resigned over data breaches.

Earlier Sunak met his new cabinet, which includes people from across different wings of the Conservative Party.

Key figures in both Liz Truss and Boris Johnson's governments, including Michael Gove and Dominic Raab, have also returned to cabinet roles.

Old 10-26-22, 08:45 PM   #348
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Apparently the Markets and the Bankers will Dictate who your PM will be. Might as well get rid of the King to.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-22, 08:58 PM   #349
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Wanting to be a second Thatcher, is one thing. Actually being a second Thatcher is something very different.

Kwarteng gone. Truss next to leave, I assume? Or should I say: next to be made leaving?

Truth being told however, the situation any politican would find himself in when heading a British government now, is a lost position currently. Its all so messy now that practically everybody must fail.

There is a fever in the world now, and I think we need to let it run because we are unable to stop it. When it ebbs down again one day, the world will be another one - to what degree, remains to be seen.

But right now, Britian, EU, ECB, the West, everything: its beyond control. The means to control it, are not there. The crisis (plural) have grown over our heads.
When it ebbs down again one day, the world will be another one - to what degree, remains to be seen. But what is the fever that will produce this new world.?
Old 10-26-22, 09:18 PM   #350
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
She's set a new record for the shortest stay in office (43 days)

I'm now concerned Boris the clown may make a return.
Jim,She can come to the USA, just as Boris has done and any, Oh damn we now have the Ukraine President here! Living under the Umbrella of Democracy directing a war in his country. We are the home of the Brave... Look if you don't think this Asshat and his family and the elite's that follow him and their children aren't here in America. Prove me wrong. Oh that's right i have to prove they are here. At the end of this war, If they turn up in America living the good life we will know.Won't we and i will play this song it's good to be King by "Tom Petty" Let's never forget it for those who aspire to be a Politician.But for the the Politicians who lose this war and are responsible for those who we will never know how many are dead.They should be prosecuted and shot. Yes even the simplest mind can become King.First you have to sell 1000 used cars.Don't get fat,shake hands hug babies,squeezes asses male or female and make a statement.If i am elected i will work for you 24 hrs a day. But first you have to elect me and get me in office and that's a good thing for the people.But it might be a Bad thing for the salesperson the Newbie. And If they are not accepted by birth in the Political order or given a pass to join .They will be sent back home to start selling cars again.But the dead are still dead aren't they.

Then it is possible us old folks just don't give a Dog's Dump anymore.

Last edited by Gorpet; 10-27-22 at 12:57 AM. Reason: i had to put the dots in. for the smile lol
Old 10-26-22, 09:46 PM   #351
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
Party before country.

Elections should happen, but will not happen, the Tories would get sunk, too many precious and lucrative mandates and careers are at stake. So: no elections. Mandate and career, power and party go before country, economy, the common good.

Its all a carricature of how it once was meant to be.
Yes Bank of America will be there.For those who need support.
Old 10-26-22, 10:07 PM   #352
Gorpet
Still Searching

Quote:
CNN writes: "Liz Truss quit her post as Britain’s prime minister just 45 days into the job, but she will be able to claim expenses of up to £115,000 ($129,000) a year for the rest of her life."

Hey Britons, what must I say or do that you make me your prime minister for 6 weeks? I have a deep sympathy for Britain, speak English without the much-feared coarse German accent and can promise you to be as entertaining with daily typo-enriched tweets while being more funny than Johnson, and I am confident that I can manage in these just 6 short weeks that I must smash even less porcellaine as the previous four PM's have smashed within just one week inclusive weekend party. For just 115 thousand coins per year, you get all this from me, and everything in it is an improvement over what you have gotten in the past five years. Doesn't that sound like a steal for you? Skybird for PM!
You,Could run for the for the Prime Minister of your own country.And keep your accent.But where would that get ya?
Old 10-27-22, 05:31 AM   #353
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

With Rishi Sunak, the City’s takeover of British politics is complete

Aeron Davis is professor of political communication at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand.

----------------------------------------

It has been a week of firsts in British politics. The country has rightly celebrated the fact that it has its first Asian-heritage and Hindu prime minister. A rather less noted milestone, however, is that Britain also has its first investment banker PM.

Rishi Sunak’s first job was at the US investment bank Goldman Sachs. He went on to spend 14 years in the sector before becoming an MP. In many ways, his unelected appointment marks the highpoint of big finance’s takeover of Britain’s political and economic system – a quiet infiltration of Westminster and Whitehall has been taking place over several decades and gone largely unremarked.

Historically, the Square Mile played a big part in British politics, economics and empire. It’s well known that Thatcherism later tore up the corporatist model of economic management. The role of unions, British industrialists and the UK state was to be significantly rolled back. What was unclear was what would replace them. Looking back now, it’s clear that big finance stepped in.

This was because many of the key players in Conservative cabinets of the 1980s came from the financial sector. Norman Lamont spent years at the investment bank NM Rothschild and Sons. Cecil Parkinson, who engineered the “Big Bang” that paved the way for the huge expansion of the London Stock Exchange in the 1980s, had been a chartered accountant in the Square Mile. And Nigel Lawson cut his teeth as a financial journalist at the Sunday Telegraph and the Financial Times. Each has spoken of their City careers as being more significant influences on their thinking than any academic economists. Many other Conservative ministers also went from finance careers to either the Treasury or the Department of Trade and Industry.

This was a key reason why most nationalised industries weren’t simply sold off to the private sector but floated on the London Stock Exchange and transferred into the hands of City investors. It also explains why a series of tax changes and financial regulations favoured big finance over manufacturing, and changes to corporate governance privileged “shareholder value” over all else. Tax breaks and support were removed from industry and used to cut taxes on dividends, share and bond sales.

When New Labour arrived, it didn’t have the same former financial networks to call upon. But Gordon Brown and co also realised how fundamental the lucrative taxable income of the City was for funding its spending plans. They also needed its nous to continue privatising and, of course, enacting PFI contracts. Thus, “light-touch” regulation was rolled out to keep the sector expanding. A steady trickle of financiers were lured into government to facilitate all of this.

Looking at the coalition government, every senior figure who managed Treasury economic policy – George Osborne, Danny Alexander, David Cameron, Rupert Harrison, John Kingman and Nick Macpherson – later gained well-paid positions in the financial sector. And three of the last five chancellors have come from the sector. Jeremy Hunt’s current advisers all come from investment banking.

This matters because investment bankers have very little to do with the real economy that ordinary people inhabit. They don’t run businesses. They don’t deal with actual product and customer markets. Their work is confined to financial markets, aiding corporate financial manoeuvres, and trading and managing their own financial assets. Their primary aim is to make profits from such activities, regardless of how it affects the real economy, the national interest or employees. If that means shorting the pound or breaking up a successful company for quick profits, then so be it.

In other words, what benefits big finance often hinders business and manufacturing generally. Consequently, since the 1980s, Britain’s industrial decline and its financial expansion have been as pronounced as in any leading economy. Productivity and levels of R&D spending compare very poorly, too, because investors demand quick returns and rising share prices over long-term investment. Regional and class inequalities have grown ever-larger.

And an overpowered financial sector has certainly not been conducive to good governance, either. There’s nothing democratic about extensive public service cuts being used to pay for saving the private banking sector, as in the aftermath of the 2008 crash, or the bond markets determining the credibility of governments, or the fact that the bankers and hedge funds are the biggest single source of Conservative party donations. Nor is trust in British democracy likely to be enhanced by a super-rich PM who has allegedly avoided taxes and made a fortune as a financier at the nation’s cost.

During Liz Truss’s short premiership, there was much talk about the power and influence of the Tufton Street network of opaque rightwing thinktanks. But actually, the longer-term driving force of UK economic policy, there in front of us all this time, has been the City of London. It’s time to open our eyes and look more closely.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/edito...8290683e293ef9

Old 10-27-22, 05:34 AM   #354
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I just wanted to post this as something to ponder.

I don't pretend to understand the UK and its government, its fascinating to watch but its fairly outside of my wheel house. I've never had the opportunity to visit or live in the UK which is why I don't post much in this thread.
Those of you who do seem like rational and responsible people so I'll leave it to you to find any merit in the video.

Brexit, to me, never made much sense outside of propaganda that ran amok and took on a life of its own. I don't agree with the speaker's view that the FSB in Russia had nothing to do with the troubles in the UK and North America. They certainly benefitted from fanning the bonfires.

It does bring up the danger of weaponizing propaganda. When you show other people what is possible, expect it to be aimed at you next.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-22, 05:39 AM   #355
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Sturgeon's IndyRef2 plan in tatters as EU to ban Scotland from bloc unless it joins Euro

Nicola Sturgeon's plan for an independent Scotland to join the European Union is in tatters as figures in Brussels claim Edinburgh would need to buckle on the Euro before membership can be considered, a report has claimed. The Scottish First Minister, who campaigned for Scotland to remain in the EU in 2016, last week claimed that independence would allow Scots to rid themselves of the UK's economic woes as she looks to rejoin the Brussels bloc.

However, several EU sources have poured cold water on Ms Sturgeon's plan.

The insiders claimed that any Scottish application for membership would require a pledge to join the single currency, the Times has revealed.

A senior source unambiguously said: "No euro, no membership."

Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross reacted to the Times' report on Twitter.

Rishi Sunak has been warned that Penny Mordaunt could "cause trouble" for him after being denied a promotion in his Cabinet. While Ms Mordaunt had been tipped for a top job, Mr Sunak instead reappointed her as Leader of the House of Commons.

The MP for Moray said: "Nicola Sturgeon's plan for separation is in tatters."

The EU's own membership terms dealt a further blow to Ms Sturgeon's plan.

It said: "All EU member states, except Denmark, are required to adopt the euro and join the euro area."

Brussels has pushed EU-27 member states to adopt the single currency since Brits voted for Brexit in 2016.

Seven of the 13 countries which have joined the EU since 2004 have since switched to the Euro.

Lithuania was the most recent country to do so back in 2015 and Croatia will follow suit next year.

Ms Sturgeon's recently unveiled plans which suggested Scotland would continue to use sterling in the years after independence before switching to a Scottish pound.

In her economic paper published last Monday, the First Minister even said she would commit to rejoining the EU without taking on the single currency as it was not "the right option for Scotland".

Deputy First Minister John Swinney went on to suggest Scotland could become an EU country using its own currency within a decade.

Ms Sturgeon's commitment to rejoining the EU comes after Scots voted decisively to stay in the bloc, while English and Welsh electors backed Brexit.

The Scottish Government told the Times: "An independent Scotland would benefit from re-joining the European Union and the EU will equally gain from Scotland's membership.

"Scotland will continue to use sterling at the point of independence and establish a Scottish pound as soon as practicable."
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...540d8b8c98152e

Old 10-27-22, 11:53 AM   #356
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will not attend the COP27 climate conference in Egypt next month, No 10 says.

Downing Street denied this represented a lack of commitment to tackling climate change from the prime minister.

Mr Sunak's predecessor Liz Truss had been due to attend the conference.

However, No 10 said the new PM would not be going "due to other pressing domestic commitments including preparations for the Autumn Budget".

A Downing Street spokeswoman said: "We remain committed to net zero and to leading international and domestic action to tackle climate change. The UK is forging ahead of many other countries on net zero.

"We will obviously continue to work closely with Egypt as the hosts of COP27 and to make sure that all countries are making progress on the historic commitments they made at the Glasgow climate pact."

She added the UK would be "fully represented by other senior ministers", including current COP president Alok Sharma.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63418876

Old 10-28-22, 10:18 AM   #357
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 10-28-22, 11:00 AM   #358
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The UK and France have pledged to boost co-operation to tackle migrant crossings in the English Channel, Downing Street has said.

Rishi Sunak held his first call, since becoming prime minister, with President Emmanuel Macron on Friday.

No 10 said the two men expressed a commitment to "deepening" their work to deter the "deadly journeys."

A statement from the Elysée Palace after the call made no specific mention of migrant boats.

There have already been promises to deepen co-operation earlier in October, after then-Prime Minister Liz Truss met with Mr Macron in Prague earlier this month.

The pair pledged an "ambitious package of measures" to be announced this autumn.

Downing Street has refused to give details on any future plans or when an announcement will be made.

But Mr Sunak is said to have "stressed the importance for both nations to make the Channel route completely unviable for people traffickers".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63430865

Old 10-29-22, 08:30 AM   #359
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Supreme Court 'most likely' to strike down Nicola Sturgeon's IndyRef2 coup in SNP blow

Nicola Sturgeon is battling for Scottish independence in the Supreme Court with two different questions that are now in the hands of the judges. The Supreme Court will not only rule whether Holyrood has the power to hold an advisory referendum on independence but also whether the Lord Advocate's reference is legal. A Constitutional expert believes the Supreme Court will most likely rule the SNP's submission is outside their competence.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...c5b348c6a5fd2b

Old 10-29-22, 10:20 AM   #360
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Did the previous Prime Minister Liz Truss implement this tax cut?

Why I ask is that a friend claim she did.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote