SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-20, 05:30 AM   #3496
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

People in England who cannot work from home are being encouraged to return to their workplaces on Wednesday.

Unlimited exercise, meeting a friend at the park and moving house are also now allowed, under new rules.

The UK economy contracted by 2% in the first three months of the year, official figures show.

The top US infectious diseases doctor has warned of "needless suffering and death" if the country opens up too soon.

Brazil sees a record daily rise in the number of virus deaths, as President Bolsanaro insists the economy must be allowed to run.

Russia orders a stop to the use of ventilators believed to have caused two fires at coronavirus hospitals.

Staff at Twitter have been told they can continue working from home for as long as they see fit.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 05:41 AM   #3497
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

New guidance issued by the College of Policing says officers in England have "no powers" to enforce two metre social distancing.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has flown to Israel for socially-distanced meetings with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his new coalition partner Benny Gantz.
Pompeo got off his plane at Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport wearing a red, white and blue face mask.

Austria and Germany have agreed to open their borders in two steps: some restrictions will be lifted on Friday before a full reopening on 15 June.

Germany has seen 798 new infections over the past 24 hours, authorities said on Wednesday. The daily death toll rose by 101 to 7,634. Both numbers are in line with the past days' statistics.
The overall number of confirmed infections now stands at more than 171,000, according to official data. Most people though have recovered already and there are only about 18,000 active cases.

Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia will open their borders to each other from Friday - creating a so-called Baltic bubble.

Beaches on France's north-west coast will start reopening on Wednesday but gatherings of more than eight people are banned.

Belgium's only naturist beach at Bredene won't open at all this year.

Police in Paris had to evacuate the steps of the Sacré-Cœur on Tuesday night because too many people had gathered.

Sweden’s government has promised to fund training for 10,000 healthcare assistants and care home nurses, after criticism of how it handled the spread of coronavirus among the elderly.

Australia says it's had no known cases of a rare new syndrome affecting children that has been linked to coronavirus.

Singapore has sentenced a US pilot to four weeks in prison for breaking his mandatory quarantine.

Health officials in South Sudan have for the first time confirmed cases of coronavirus in camps for people displaced by conflict.

Old 05-13-20, 11:35 AM   #3498
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
People in England who cannot work from home are being encouraged to return to their workplaces on Wednesday.

Unlimited exercise, meeting a friend at the park and moving house are also now allowed, under new rules.

The UK economy contracted by 2% in the first three months of the year, official figures show.

The top US infectious diseases doctor has warned of "needless suffering and death" if the country opens up too soon.

Brazil sees a record daily rise in the number of virus deaths, as President Bolsanaro insists the economy must be allowed to run.

Russia orders a stop to the use of ventilators believed to have caused two fires at coronavirus hospitals.

Staff at Twitter have been told they can continue working from home for as long as they see fit.
Further to Jim's info for the UK nations,

Scotland's death rate continues to fall for the second week in a row. The National Records of Scotland said 415 deaths have been linked to the virus in the past week - 110 fewer than the week before.

However, people in the most-deprived areas of Scotland are more than twice as likely to die with Covid-19 than those in the least deprived areas, new data reveals. The latest weekly figures from the National Record of Scotland show additional analysis of the impact of deprivation on mortality. It shows that the death rate among people living in the 20% most-deprived areas is 86.5 per 100,000. In the least-deprived fifth of Scottish areas the figure is just 38.2.

As the different parts of the UK are easing lockdown at different rates it means that there is now significant divergence between them, comparison on the different approaches of England and Scotland: LINK.

The Northern Ireland Executive has published plans for how the province will start easing the lockdown there. Unlike plans announced in England and the Republic of Ireland, NI's blueprint does not include a timetable - but the First Minister said she hoped to reach the final stage by December. Progression will depend on key health criteria being met, Arlene Foster said. The first step includes changes to rules on exercise and churches being able to open for private prayer.

The Nightingale Hospital in Northern Ireland is to be temporarily stood down, the health minister has said. Belfast City Hospital's tower block was turned into a 230-bed unit for critically-ill patients last month. Nightingale hospitals are temporary facilities that were set up across the UK to deal with the expected surge in coronavirus patients. Robin Swann said the facility could still be used, if modelling suggested a second wave of the virus.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
MGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 11:50 AM   #3499
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

More than 110,000 self-employed people in the United Kingdom whose businesses are affected by coronavirus have already applied for government grants on the first day of the scheme's operation.

California State University, the largest state university system in the US with about 480,000 students, says it will keep its 23 campuses closed in September, with classes moved online.

Belgium's national security council has approved moving to the second phase of the country's plan to relax the lockdown next Monday.

Poland will allow hairdressers and restaurants to reopen from Monday as it continues to ease restrictions.

Lebanon is reintroducing a nationwide lockdown tonight for four days following about 100 new coronavirus cases in recent days.

The tiny nation Lesotho has confirmed its first case of coronavirus. Entirely surrounded by South Africa, which has more than 11,000 cases, Lesotho had been the only country in Africa without a reported infection. But this week dozens of people who arrived from Saudi Arabia via South Africa were tested, and one case was found.

Mosques and churches in Niger are reopening today for the first time in two months. Buildings must be disinfected and visitors wear face masks. Earlier this week Senegal also reopened places of worship.

Tanzania is at risk of being overwhelmed by their outbreak, the US embassy there says, but authorities deny the extent of the crisis. Videos of night burials have caused some to call into question the government's approach.

Old 05-13-20, 11:52 AM   #3500
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK's four nations report more coronavirus deaths
Separate daily coronavirus death figures have been published by the four nations in the UK.

Another 244 people who tested positive for Covid-19 have died in England, NHS England said, bringing the total there to 23,952.

Meanwhile, 61 more people have died after testing positive in Scotland, bringing the total there to 1,973.

A further 22 people have died after testing positive for coronavirus in Wales, taking the total there to 1,154.

And two more people have died after testing positive for coronavirus in Northern Ireland, the Department of Health in the nation said. This brings the total there to 449.

The tallies for individual nations can differ from the UK-wide total, because they are calculated on a different timeframe.

Old 05-13-20, 11:56 AM   #3501
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-13-20, 12:16 PM   #3502
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-13-20, 01:28 PM   #3503
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I have been on the same wave length that Dr Fauci just stated.
I know some people like him and some people are leary of him, but I'm more leary of the people against him.

If the Dr is fooling someone I am one of them ... this world is never going to be the same.
What happens next year, colds, flu are normal with no know cure just a way to treat the symptoms.

Maybe the same for Covid-19

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/coro...to-normal.html

Quote:
The world may never get back to what it considered "normal" before the coronavirus emerged from Wuhan, China a little over three months ago and spread to more than 1.3 million people
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 01:47 PM   #3504
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I cant deny that the good Doctor Fauci is doing what he is getting paid to do. He has one job and quite frankly he does it extremely well. But his position is that of a medical professional, he knows that COVID-19 is bad and knows what it takes to mitigate its affects. However I doubt seriously he considers, global and domestic economic health, military readiness, internal politics and foreign affairs in his assessments. We have to find a middle road to recovery rather than swinging from one extreme to the other.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 02:21 PM   #3505
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Read an interesting post some days ago.

the author:
(from my memory)
Most of you have already downloaded this app or planning on doing it.
An app which track infected people and warn others, if they should be near such a person.

People have done this due the fear of getting infected by this Corona virus.

Now I want you to imagine there isn't a Corona virus.
How eager would you be to download such an app ?
Most likely you would say...never in a life..the authorities shall not track me.

This posting made me think.

We would most likely not download such a do-track-me apps during normal situation, but we do it without thinking when our politician yell
Wolf coming.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 04:17 PM   #3506
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Of all the things I learned in Elementary School, I never would have thought that, in 2020, avoiding cooties would be the most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I cant deny that the good Doctor Fauci is doing what he is getting paid to do. He has one job and quite frankly he does it extremely well. But his position is that of a medical professional, he knows that COVID-19 is bad and knows what it takes to mitigate its affects. However I doubt seriously he considers, global and domestic economic health, military readiness, internal politics and foreign affairs in his assessments. We have to find a middle road to recovery rather than swinging from one extreme to the other.

Very true Dr. Fauci is doing the job he is paid to do and he is doing it well; probably very true he really doesn't take economic health, et.c very much into his scientific findings, but, then again, that's not what he is paid to do, as you put it; the problem is so many of those problems of economic health, etc., are ignoring the fact that a very substantial factor going forward is the management of the effects of the pandemic and the mitigation of not only economic effects, but, also, of the effects on the health of those who are the voters, the customers, the employees, the human element of the national infrastructure, etc.; it doesn't do any good in any sense, whether economically, politically, or pragmatically, to unnecessarily and willfully put lives in danger for a narrow segment of the whole problem; you are right, there is a wing of extremes involved and it is not mitigated by having the decision-making dominated by one extreme; unfortunately, for those now making the decisions, the extreme is the only thing they know or will consider...

Maybe it is time to remove the decision-making process from those who seek political gain and place it in the hands of a bi- or non-partisan commission of actual experts (instead of self-proclaimed "expertise") and let them hash out some realistic proposals that Congress, who really should have the final say, can act upon or submit a guidelines to the States...

Basically, it works out to this: if I want advise on my finance, I'd seek a financial advisor; if I wanted advice on my health, I'd seek medical expertise; if I wanted advice on the possible effects of social interaction during an epi-/pandemic, I seek out and epidemiologist; in none of those cases would I ever seek out a politician or wannabe...

<O>
Old 05-13-20, 04:46 PM   #3507
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

...and the originating story for the above two from 2004:

<O>
Old 05-13-20, 05:27 PM   #3508
John Zelada
Nub

Icon9

at this point how can it disappear like the Spanish flu can it stay for several years like the black plague
John Zelada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 05:47 PM   #3509
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Zelada View Post
at this point how can it disappear like the Spanish flu can it stay for several years like the black plague

Estimates of the global population was 1.8 billion people during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Some studies have suggested total deaths from that pandemic could have been as high as 100 million (Johnson and Mueller). That virus though deadly may have had a better chance of dying out because of the generally smaller global population and no where near the technology and means to transport billions of people a day over land, sea and air like we can today.
With a global population of now over 7.8 billion people and rising fast it has lead to more overcrowding, couple that with globalization and modern transportation. Unless something changes I gotta feeling this pandemic and many more to come are going to be around a very long time.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-20, 06:41 PM   #3510
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Zelada View Post
Welcome aboard John ... Nobody knows yet ... this is all brand new

It's a wonder mankind made it this far if you ask me
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan