Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-24, 11:14 AM   #331
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

^

@ August - I'm sorry for the late reply but I've been away. Yes that is indeed an "Angle Shades" moth, a common but still nice looking thing; your version looks exacly like ours

@ Sean C - we were completely gobsmacked by this creature! It must be the most beautiful butterly I've ever laid eyes on and would certainly be a prize for any insect hunter over here, if we only had them. I'm going to look this one up online to learn more (is it common, has it a fixed habitat, caterpillar & foodplant etc) as I have no books for American insects. Thanks for such a fabulous photo, mate Edit: Just noticed your link - thanks a lot for that!

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 09-22-24 at 01:46 PM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-24, 06:31 PM   #332
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
@ Sean C - we were completely gobsmacked by this creature! It must be the most beautiful butterfly I've ever laid eyes on and would certainly be a prize for any insect hunter over here, if we only had them.

It certainly is a beautiful creature. That's why it caught my eye. Here is a link to a full resolution version of the photo.

When I made my last post, the thought occurred to me: this thread is essentially our own collection, that we share. With the added bonus of not harming them. Thank you for starting it!

Last edited by Sean C; 09-22-24 at 06:48 PM.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-24, 11:43 AM   #333
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

^ Thanks again, Sean. Over here entomology has always been one of those studies which draw the enthusiastic amateur - and with their nets they were often the ones to make the most important discoveries. But now most have put away their nets and taken up the camera instead. The excitement of what you might find is still there, also (perhaps to a lesser degree than before) the thrill of the chase; I was to be seen running to and fro in a meadow a while back because I'd suddenly stumbled upon my first live Clouded Yellow sucking on a dandelion - but he was off like lightning and I never got the photo - he was too fast.

The solitary pastime of setting a capture - which used to be the culmination of the hobby - is now gone and the pleasure in producing and owning a carefully prepared specimen gone with it. It was an art which gave great satisfaction at the end of the day and the end of the hunt but I couldn't in all conscience do it now

So what you say is true: we can have our own collection here, although in recent times there's been a nosedive in numbers of butterflies, at any rate (I don't know about moths) so I don't seem able to find as much as I ought to post