SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-14, 03:45 AM   #3226
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

And I thought my overclocked dual core was a dinosaur.^^

Is there a way to deactivate the map mod in OMEGU? I'm quite satisfied with the normal map, the modifications in OMEGU drive me nuts.^^
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 10:18 AM   #3227
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
SINGLE-CORE!!!??? I didn't even know those things still existed anymore. Also i've never had any problems with the ports except with New York and Bergen.
I bought it new in 2005 just so I could play Silent Hunter III. I'm not playing right now because it won't run the mods I want the most. If I stick to that I may never get to play again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalfnar View Post
Is there a way to deactivate the map mod in OMEGU? I'm quite satisfied with the normal map, the modifications in OMEGU drive me nuts.^^
I've read reports of other problems with OMEGU. I don't consider it important to use with OM, so I don't.
Old 03-05-14, 10:39 AM   #3228
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

The graphical enhancements are quite cool and I would really like to use them, same to the periscope...but the map...
Old 03-05-14, 04:50 PM   #3229
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
The graphical enhancements are quite cool and I would really like to use them, same to the periscope...but the map...
Why don't you like the map?
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 08:12 PM   #3230
Nbjackso
Navy Dude

Downloads: 448
Uploads: 18

Quote:
...but the map...
I re-did the map. Try this mod

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...53#post1651753

Just get me within 1000 yards,
and I'll d
o the rest
Nbjackso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 12:19 AM   #3231
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Because of the missing "noob" tools.^^ I AM a noob in SH4.

I would like to use the autocalculation for the torpedo targeting solution but that doesn't work with the map mod in OMEGU. And I would really like vanilla icons...

Last edited by Hjalfnar; 03-06-14 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-06-14, 01:49 PM   #3232
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Because of the missing "noob" tools.^^ I AM a noob in SH4.

I would like to use the autocalculation for the torpedo targeting solution but that doesn't work with the map mod in OMEGU. And I would really like vanilla icons...
What are you talking about? The only thing the OMEGU map does is fix the geography and add some color to it. Same as any other map mod really.
Old 03-06-14, 02:52 PM   #3233
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

In my case the direction indicators of the contact icons were missing and the automatical target solution didn't work.
Old 03-06-14, 03:04 PM   #3234
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
In my case the direction indicators of the contact icons were missing and the automatical target solution didn't work.
So long as Auto Targeting on it's always just point and shoot. As for the direction indicators being gone that's something pretty much every supermod gets rid of. After all RL sub commanders didn't know which directions their prey was going.
Old 03-07-14, 04:29 AM   #3235
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Nah, auto targeting doesn't work, thats the problem...there is simply no indicator shown. The fine green line that is showing the predicted course of the torpedo.

The direction indicators aren't that big a problem, I could live without them, but I really don't like maths, so I use the auto targeting and that simply doesn't work...
Old 03-07-14, 12:27 PM   #3236
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Nah, auto targeting doesn't work, thats the problem...there is simply no indicator shown. The fine green line that is showing the predicted course of the torpedo.

The direction indicators aren't that big a problem, I could live without them, but I really don't like maths, so I use the auto targeting and that simply doesn't work...
Funny as i've never had a problem with it before. If you're using Auto-Targeting you don't really need that line at all. Like I said it's point and shoot.
Old 03-08-14, 01:32 AM   #3237
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

The auto targeting is the only unrealistic option I have activated (ok, and the...ok, don't know how it's named in the english version, direct translation would be 'outdoor camera'^^, need it for screenshots), but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to play realistic. That means going into a good firing position, at best in a 90 degree angle and waiting for the perfect moment to shoot...without the torpedo course indicator somewhat difficult.

Na, I'll reinstall the mods today and we'll see what happens. You don't have a screenshot about how it should look, do you?
Old 03-12-14, 04:23 PM   #3238
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Of course it's up to you, but the sim is much more interesting with manual targeting. Otherwise it becomes a boring game in my opinion. Ship sighted .. fire torpedoes .. tonnage goes up .. rinse and repeat.

Believe me, to get real fun when a torpedo hits you must have torpedoes miss.

If it's over your head, there are good video tutorials. Before trying it in real situations I would recommend to practice on friendly, stationary ships in harbor. It really helped me to understand how to shoot straight torpedoes (you need to set angle on bow and speed to zero). From there you can start making changes to AOB and speed and see how it changes the course of the torpedo.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-14, 08:46 AM   #3239
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

It is some time since anyone posted in this thread. I hope this does not mean that OM is dead.

I'm still playing it, and wanted to raise the question about future improvements. Without doubt OM is really good, but there are no improvements. Things that I personally would like to see are:

improved harbor traffic
improved harbors
coastal traffic
more "suprises" like icebergs, lifeboats - right now the encounters tend to become predictable
another example would be hidden bases on the Lofote or Canary islands
U-boats and allied subs in all theatres
improved physics and sinking mechanics (u-boat dynamics are available http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=207791)
"improved" difficulty, for example somewhat milder air strikes, changes to visual detection, lower AI gun precision

Small things which could be fixed:

british trawler has too many hitpoints
remove Nazi flag from type XXIII
German radars are missing characteristic dipole antennas
radar not working on some boats, like VIIC/Turm1
ambient occlusion maps for the U-boats imported from SH3

Generally porting over the most important stuff made for SHIII.
And finally, the big question of the Turmumbau.

I actually made small things myself, like removing the flag from type XXIII, and adjusted the difficulty/detection to my taste, would like to hear if anyone is still "working" with this mod.

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 04-12-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-12-14, 09:35 AM   #3240
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Something else. Perhaps you have noticed that in his readme Lurker has forbidden any further development of his mod.

Actually, I will admit it. He flamed me in the past for suggesting that anything could be added to the mod by anyone but himself. He also wrote some stuff that makes me believe that asking for his permission in this regard would be pointless.

I would therefore like to clarify the situation, as far as I see it.

Here is the relevant passage which I am talking about (ironically, it can be found under "permissions"):

Quote:
"Absolutely nothing found within the Operation Monsun (OM) may be used for any commercial product of any size, shape or form; also absolutely no mod, concept, or design found within the OM may be used by any one, for any reason, without expressed permission of the author of this mod"

"Absolutely nothing found within the Uboat Damage Mod, Merchant Ship Damage Mod, NYGM Submarine Visual Sensor Mod, or NYGM AI Visual Sensor Mod may be used for any commercial product of any size, shape or form; also Absolutely nothing in theses modifications, including any ideas, strategies, philosophies, methods, arrangements, etc found within the above mods may be used by any one, for any reason, without expressed permission of Observer (damage mods), Teddy Bär (visual mods) and the author of this mod (Lurker_HLB3)"
My take is that lurker can make such claims only for things which he created. Only files created by lurker are his intellectually property. Extended claims to files contained in the mod which are derivative versions of files created by UBISoft or other people are irrelevant. This is based on the principle that you cannot take something that is already under someone's license (UBI) and put it under a new license.

".. including any ideas, strategies, philosophies, methods, arrangements, etc found within the above mods may be used by any one, for any reason, .."

this part is imo completely irrelevant, because if you want to protect "ideas, strategies, philosophies, methods, arrangements, etc" you need to get a patent for it.

But when lurker created new files, e.g. ".mis" files, which were not there in the original release of Silent Hunter, his legal claim is valid, so you need to get his permission to modify these files (and good luck with that).

So that no one gets me wrong, the situation with mods is complicated and all extreme notions are wrong. It always has to be decided on a file by file basis.

My take is this: modding and adding to files that were included in the original version of the game, or created by someone else that permitted refactoring / modifications, is ok, and always will be ok, as far as modding was ok in the first place. No matter what someone else added to the files, they are and remain UBI's property. But if files were not created or copyrighted by UBI and are solely "included" with the mod, I would be very careful.

So: Modding things that lurker created (an example would be the campaign layers) is NOT legal without his permission as stated in the readme. But adding campaign layers (.MIS files), and adding extra lines to CampaignGE.cfg does not fall under his intellectual property. It is also not illegal to reference to a ship or piece of equipment, or even a file included in the mod from another file, because a reference is only a string of characters, and not protected by intellectual property. Lest anyone believes no one can use the string 'M01A' anymore, because it was used in the mod. You can.

I hope I have not offend anyone and if lurker wants to come back to the scene, I'd be very glad, willing to help him and eat humble pie. But I think we have reached the point where it's time to discuss openly the future for this mod, and the ATO side of Silent Hunter 4 in general.