SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-15-16, 11:14 PM   #3181
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I set up the parameters you mentioned, jldis. I was able to start a career out of Brisbane in June, 42 and it first patrol did not CTD when I started it. Just out of curiosity what other mods do you have installed if any?
I don't think he has your campaign fix in yet cdrsubron7...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 05:46 AM   #3182
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi pb & RR
Thanks for your replies.
I agree with you regarding the text files totally confused me which is not difficult.
They look like in house memo's of a sort if you know what I mean.
You guys are doing fantastic work on this project and has been needed to bring SH4 up to date.
You have SH5 The Wolves of Steel and and LSH3-2015 with their LSH3-2017 updated version due out soon all being accomplished by active modders.
SH3-4-5 is looking very healthy for the coming year.
You have a live release on Subsim that is going to attract players, and having got their attention it is then important to keep them.
As I said do not forget the small important details like how to install it
Good luck.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 07:51 AM   #3183
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Well done, propbeanie! So what can we conclude? We can conclude that Ducimus either didn't know or didn't tell anyone about the German Flag issue, which we have inherited. This proves the issue has been around since 2009 or 2010. I was on the forum.kickinback.com modding forum, where RFB, TMO, RSRDC were developed and the FOTRS people spent time swapping ideas as well. Not once was this thing, this warp in the space-time continuum ever mentioned!

So let's see:
  • The ConteVerde stuff is not structured differently from the other -removes. The list is cut and pasted from FOTRSU so it's not a transcription error.
  • The ConteVerde items are neither the longest, nor the shortest entries. It's not an input field that gets truncated and therefore mangled in execution.
  • It's not a file type, dds, sim, val or zone that is different from others of the same type that also work.
  • ConteVerde does alphabetize before the CVE_Bogue_T01... earliest on the list of items that work. We could try it with another file name earlier in the alphabet but I predict that idea will go down in flames like a buffalo turd with wings.
So what are we left with? Heck if I know!

So, lacking any obvious clues to understanding, what do great organizations do? Looking to CapnScurvy's post, the idea hits me that when you don't know why, the only logical thing to do is fix blame. It's pointless to blame someone who is here and can defend themselves, we need a final solution. Therefore, again following Scurvy's lead, in my nearly infinite capacity as leader of the motely crew known as the Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Project, I hereby find Ducimus guilty of sabotage and sentence him to the brig until the rats eat his starved and scrawny body.

As for us, we can get rid of the -removes on the German flag stuff because it doesn't matter to the game, and just restore ConteVerde to stock form, not removing any of those files. We will then declare the guilty punished and the problem solved.

Oh yeah, just like the mod soup issue, which ruffled the feathers of the establishment around here, I will go onto the Wolves of the Pacific forum and gore another sacred ox, declaring that for no logical reason, JSGME needs to be verified any time a mod uses the -remove option to ensure that stock game files are restored when the mod is removed.

After being declared illegitimate in my publicizing of the fact that JSGME causes mod soup and that the mod soup lives in the game files themselves, meaning that Webster's mod soup fix is of no use whatever almost all of the time, I go forth boldly to proclaim TRUTH. Bah!!!!! !@$#%$$$~!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 08:16 AM   #3184
propbeanie

The only way to figure out what JSGME does or doesn't mangle with the "-remove", and when it does it, is to run a LOT of fake files and names through it with a LOT of different letter, number and special character combinations... If I could think like I did when I was a younger man, I might try to make a script to do it, but my brain hurts anymore when I try to think like that... - it'd be way easier to avoid its use altogether, unfortunately. That leaves a lot of chaff and fluff in the game's files...

Old 12-16-16, 08:49 AM   #3185
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I do admit there is a bit of difference with the stock game NPL_Conte_Verde folder over most others. Those 18 stock game files don't use the same naming scheme as others.

Most other ship folders use the same name for all files. The Conte_Verde uses "NPL_Conte_Verde" for several of its files, but also uses the name "EuroLiner" for the others. Seems to me there are a couple other ships that have double names like what the Conte_Verde does....I'm not completely sure without rechecking.

The stock game keeps this double naming straight, so there's something else in the works that has this double naming scheme allowed to function properly. OH the wisdom of those Romanian's!!

I'm somewhat suspecting when we added the "-remove" to those "EuroLiner" files, it became unmanageable for JSGME to keep them straight.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-16-16 at 09:33 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 09:31 AM   #3186
propbeanie

It does seem it has to be something in the naming, but I don't understand it, unless the programming language used to build JSGME has something in it's code for file names that's mangled... Maybe it's built with a scripting language, and has to use "Escape" characters, and expects that "XX_XxxxXxx_xx.ext" formatting nomenclature, with the multiple Caps and Underscores, but "that does not compute" in my brain... I can't think of ~how~ it would do that... I mean, it's a self-contained executable. It does not rely on a windows library, does it?...

Edit: This has shades of "Bismark versus Bismarck" to it... - sorry, inside "joke"...

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-16-16 at 09:35 AM. Reason: funny guy...
Old 12-16-16, 12:47 PM   #3187
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Time for another cauldron run. I have CapnScurvy's fixes for the JSGME fiasco, and the Some Assembly Required directory in Area 51 contains stuff that needs to be in the next run--campaign goodies!

And I have to dredge up CapnScurvy's lost keyboard diagram to replace the now useless stock keyboard layout diagram in our game files.

Finally I'll be mixing in Large Address Aware and MultiSH4 into the mod itself so people don't have to go looking for them when they install FOTRSU.

When the Some Assembly Required directory only contains files I need for the mix, post that it's ready and I'll fire up the cauldron!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 04:40 PM   #3188
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

A small anomaly to report, a corvette Kanamura was seen just out of the water with its propellers spinning madly at these rough co-ordinates 132.30E by 32.30N on Feb 21st 1942, about 20\30 miles outside of the Bungo Suido.

I left it a blazing wreck with my deck gun after wasting 2 torpedoes on it, one set to influence and the other set to contact, both passed under it without exploding.
Old 12-16-16, 05:18 PM   #3189
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
A small anomaly to report, a corvette Kanamura was seen just out of the water with its propellers spinning madly at these rough co-ordinates 132.30E by 32.30N on Feb 21st 1942, about 20\30 miles outside of the Bungo Suido.

I left it a blazing wreck with my deck gun after wasting 2 torpedoes on it, one set to influence and the other set to contact, both passed under it without exploding.
Wow! Thanks... going for a look...

Edit: OK, there's a ~LOT~ to choose from there... was it by itself, or part of a group? If in a group, what kind of group, merchants or warships? Did the computer "lag" when you were in the area? And the final and biggest question: Do you have the cdrsubron7 campaign fix applied?...

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-16-16 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Lots of choices...
Old 12-16-16, 05:48 PM   #3190
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I set up the parameters you mentioned, jldis. I was able to start a career out of Brisbane in June, 42 and it first patrol did not CTD when I started it. Just out of curiosity what other mods do you have installed if any?
Perhaps I misunderstood Propbeanies instructions in his PM of his "3rd patch", I Un-installed your campaign fix thinking it was included in his and only installed his (Propbeanies') 3rd patch. I'll re-install the campaign fix. As for other mods I'm using Bigger Better Protractor and keyboard reassignments(Shkeymapper) to match my MacBook keyboard.
I feel I should clarify my posts about CTDs other than this one on patrol from Brisbane. I have been getting them more frequently than when I play the Spyron campaign but I'm no longer sure these CTDs are indicating something about FotRsUltimate but rather something about running on the Mac within a Wine wrapper. Though I CTD, when I recover from an earlier Save, and rerun I can not get the same CTDs!!! So, I have no idea why they occur!!

Last edited by jldjs; 12-16-16 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 08:21 PM   #3191
propbeanie

The test 3rd patch does include the previous, and few more "fixes" that cdrsubron7 found. We're trying to find a cross-section of PC, handheld and Mac, and you might have other issues...

If you remove FotRS Ultimate, do a check of your files with JSGME, as CapnScurvy and Rockin Robbins have been emphasizing. Refer to RR's post above:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3183

and #3177 on the previous page:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3177

about the issue with FotRS Ultimate and JSGME. I think we're going to have to do a "Repair Patch" for all the CTD Testers, or else be sure you all get a "Pristine" version of Silent Hunter 4 prior to installing the next version, because we do trash your Conte Verde European Liner vessel in stock, and a few other files are left out when FotRS Ultimate is de-activated. I'll PM you here in a bit with that, and for a quick test, we'll have you deactivate FotRS Ultimate, do the repair patch, and then see if you can run stock v1.5 without a CTD in Wine. I have no idea why you would CTD in Wine. While I'm building the repair patch, what Mac OS are you running, and which version of Wine are you doing? Computer specs might help too... just the major points of cpu and ram.

Old 12-16-16, 09:33 PM   #3192
propbeanie

OK, CapnScurvy has a "fix" for Rockin Robbins for the next Public Beta Release. -IF- you ~have~ to remove Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Public Beta v0.40 EN from your machine, you will be without seven files. Here is a link on my DropBox for "FotRSU_RepairToStock.7z". You MUST remove the mods in order with JSGME, and THEN run this "fixit" patch. All it does is put five files in the NPL_ConteVerde folder to replace what doesn't come back in, and 2 files deep in the Textures folder. If you want to run stock after the removal of FotRS Ultimate, you will need to use this patch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xotgyee351...oStock.7z?dl=0

As per usual, click on the "No thanks, continue to view" and then hit the download button

Remember, remove the mods in order, then apply this with JSGME. Do NOT use this on top of any other mods... Like I say, the real fix will be in the next release, which is being delayed a bit because of this issue... More news later.

Old 12-16-16, 10:34 PM   #3193
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I tell ya it's sabatoogie, yeah that's what it is. I finally intercept a Task Force that isn't mass spawning, not wrecking havoc with TC, everything is normal except for one thing.

I'm all out of piddies

I'd blame this on propbeanie, but he'd just deny it.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-16, 10:46 PM   #3194
propbeanie

I'm sorry, it is all my fault. It won't happen again... until the next time...

... and it's such a ~beautiful~ picture. It doesn't have all those ~explosions~ and ~fire~, and all that other stuff, that just ~destroys~ the beauty of a picture...

Wait! I wasn't there when it happened, I had no prior knowledge, and surely didn't do it... did I?

I ~knew~ I should've made a left toin at Al-buh-coy-kee...

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-16-16 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Bugs...
Old 12-16-16, 11:02 PM   #3195
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Wow! Thanks... going for a look...

Edit: OK, there's a ~LOT~ to choose from there... was it by itself, or part of a group? If in a group, what kind of group, merchants or warships? Did the computer "lag" when you were in the area? And the final and biggest question: Do you have the cdrsubron7 campaign fix applied?...
OK Moonlight, I've run through all sorts of scenarios, and cannot find a levitating Corvette of any Class. Looking through the files, I'd suspect something from the 41a_Jap_Convoys.mis file that runs from December 1st, 1941 through at least February 28th, 1942. As an example of what you might find in a group in that layer, most of the convoys are of a "Generic" variety, so the game picks the vessels as it makes the group. There is only one, and one only that goes through Bungo Suido in your time frame, and that's Group023 out of China. It might have as many as 12 vessels in it, with a Corvette and a Destroyer - maybe. There is one Cargo vessel set to generate at a 100% rate. Next would be the Corvette, set to 85%, then it drops all the way down to 2 Cargo for 25% of the time, two more at 11%, one each at 7% and 6%, and then the Destroyer at 5%, 2% for another Cargo, and another Generic Corvette set to 1%. Yes, one percent... This "group", which may have only been the Cargo and Corvette, would have been Northbound near your location. Group007 would be further South, traveling Westbound with 2 Generic Cargoes set to 100% and a Generic Corvette at 100%. So you would have seen at least 3 vessels with that, up to about 10. Group 020 travels near 007, but would be Eastbound, but with a SubChaser, two Cargoes and a Tanker at 100%, so four vessels there, but a Corvette would be way down the list there. There are no other groups in the area that have Corvettes. There are no Corvettes by themselves. If you do not have the 3rd Patch in, then you don't have the "fix" for this particular file, and it does have the two FastMerchant groups in with it, that have ~bad~ vessel calls. They do not come by your location there, but may well be close enough for the machine to have to try to generate them, which may influence it's generating of other groups and vessels around you. That would be my guess for now. Any further details from you? I very much dislike vessels that levitate, which is what the Furutaka used to do when we first started on this. You could NOT outgun it...

Edit 1231hrs: OK, the looping is not an immediate problem. What we do have, if I let the file play for a while (just 4 months of time), is several groups that keep spawning, but the previous iteration is not "dying-off", resulting in a bunch of fishing boats just East of your location (and other locations). By the time I quit running the file from December 1941 until March 1942, there were already 10 fishing vessels following each other around in a circle. Undesireable. There are several Corvettes that spawn along the East coast of Kyushu. It may be one of them that spawned "badly", and then drifted out to your area. Back at it...

Last edited by propbeanie; 12-17-16 at 12:33 PM. Reason: intermediate findings...