SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-13, 12:12 AM   #3151
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsangel View Post
guys sorry for asking another question but...why i cant see lifeboats at all ! ?
have got experience solved problems i had before...but even with sinking 100 thousand tonnes not one lifeboat stock or sh3 ships : ( ?

thanks in advance
I have been wondering where the lifeboats are myself.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:43 AM   #3152
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
I have been wondering where the lifeboats are myself.

I see them from time to time.They do not show up as often though I find that a bit more realistic.I tend to see them appear after a gradual sinking and in typically more calm seas.I never notice them in very rough seas or during storms or after a more violent and rapid sinking.

I sank a little US Coast Guard cutter the other day only 330 tons and some of the crew managed to get into a raft.I think it is more or less random but the likely hood is lower for a raft or boat to appear.I'd rather know that they all died quickly anyway if they get into a raft they are just going to suffer.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 11:43 AM   #3153
airsangel
Loader

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I see them from time to time.They do not show up as often though I find that a bit more realistic.I tend to see them appear after a gradual sinking and in typically more calm seas.I never notice them in very rough seas or during storms or after a more violent and rapid sinking.

I sank a little US Coast Guard cutter the other day only 330 tons and some of the crew managed to get into a raft.I think it is more or less random but the likely hood is lower for a raft or boat to appear.I'd rather know that they all died quickly anyway if they get into a raft they are just going to suffer.
well it adds to the eye candy....well i did sink alot in calm seas from huge passenger ship to small coastal bessels no luck in seeing any...
is there a mod to make them spawn more often
airsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-13, 07:40 AM   #3154
airsangel
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torres84 View Post
Well if you waste all of the ship's HP with a good salvo or a critical hit they wouldn't have any time to reach the lifeboats, the ship will sink in minutes, but I would "blame it" on the insertion of new ship models and maybe no assigning such thing as lifeboats, but this is just me wondering.

I do tend to see more lifeboats when I just have bad luck, fire a salvo and all my torpedoes go dud except for one or two... it takes like 2 hours to sink and then when it finally goes down I usually see the lifeboats.

@GlobalExplorer: I saw that Kiub mod but I didn't install it because I don't know what it does, there is no readme and on the first page there's only a reference to it being translated to english. Sooo... what does it do? anyone? Thanks in advance.

Good point
Old 06-15-13, 03:52 PM   #3155
Stealhead
Navy Seal

I was thinking that it might have the same effects as Torres84 mentioned as for me usually I see life boats or rafts when the ship went down slowly.Of course the CG cutter that i sank that was an instant kill and one raft was in the sea.

It may have something to do with the different ship models.Of course this mod has tons of very impressive details so if the cost for that it has is less common appearances of life boats that is fine with me.

I think that each individual ship model has a file that effects the appearance likelihood of life boat/raft spawning and the damage circumstances have some effect and OM has at least 60 or 70 ships that would require a lot of work.

Lurker did a ton of work on this mod and the detail in many places is rich hell he made a type VII and a type II as well so with all the other detail present if the one thing "skimped" was less life boats appearing I feel that this choice was a good compromise.

If you want more boats to spawn airsangle you will have to tweak the files yourself as that detail is not very high on most players wish lists so from a modder standpoint they do not want to spend much time on it.It would not be too hard to do this with the more common ships.I do not know what you need to tweak though I have seen screen shots players have made where they tweaked the file so that a ridiculous amount of life boats appear.

Last edited by Stealhead; 06-15-13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-16-13, 07:54 AM   #3156
airsangel
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
I was thinking that it might have the same effects as Torres84 mentioned as for me usually I see life boats or rafts when the ship went down slowly.Of course the CG cutter that i sank that was an instant kill and one raft was in the sea.

It may have something to do with the different ship models.Of course this mod has tons of very impressive details so if the cost for that it has is less common appearances of life boats that is fine with me.

I think that each individual ship model has a file that effects the appearance likelihood of life boat/raft spawning and the damage circumstances have some effect and OM has at least 60 or 70 ships that would require a lot of work.

Lurker did a ton of work on this mod and the detail in many places is rich hell he made a type VII and a type II as well so with all the other detail present if the one thing "skimped" was less life boats appearing I feel that this choice was a good compromise.

If you want more boats to spawn airsangle you will have to tweak the files yourself as that detail is not very high on most players wish lists so from a modder standpoint they do not want to spend much time on it.It would not be too hard to do this with the more common ships.I do not know what you need to tweak though I have seen screen shots players have made where they tweaked the file so that a ridiculous amount of life boats appear.

thanks for replying...and for all the great work lurker did the hell with lifeboats then : )...hope they all sink once hit !
Old 06-16-13, 10:09 PM   #3157
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Well some stuff in OM where originally separate mods that others did or that Lurker did that where later complied into OM.I think Lurker did do most of the ships though.You would have to look into the readmes to find out.
Old 06-17-13, 10:06 PM   #3158
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Sh*t! I've just learned through the forum that both type XXI and XXIII have incorrect submerged ranges and there's nothing it can be done to fix it... it's an error that comes with SH4.

Goodbye to my dreams of having the perfect raid on Scapa, I can't barely get in and out before my power dies (no "that's what she said" jokes allowed ¬¬ lol)

Well what are the ranges in game and what should the correct ones be?
Old 06-18-13, 12:46 PM   #3159
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
@AdmiralHalsey, well in most internet sites you can see at least type XXI could travel underwater at 5 kn for almost 3 DAYS before having to recharge.

In game... well I didn't measure the exact distance but I entered Scapa from the West and proceeded to the harbor at low speed silent running, by the time I was there my battery was down to 45%.

I think that distance was like... 150 km? a little bit more maybe.

And you can't use the schnorkel radar even though its present in the 3D model, so I usually get spotted by any aircraft and bombed without even knowing there were enemies in the sky.

As it seems they can detect my schnorkel as it was historically but my antenna doesn't work :/
Did you remember to raise the antenna?
Old 06-18-13, 05:26 PM   #3160
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
@AdmiralHalsey What? Oh man I sound like a total incompetent! is there a command to raise the antena once the schnorkel is above sealine? I'll check on the commands.cfg as it seems I was expecting it to be like SH3.

If I remember correctly it worked without having to raise the antena once you reached the date, activated the improved antennas mod and had it above the water.

Thanks though, you kind of made me want to play again with that XXI even if it comes with the worst underwater range ever.

EDIT:
Ok I have no clue how to raise the schnorkel antenna... can someone tell me? All I see in the forums is people asking about it because supposedly it can't be done :/
It should be under the radar command.
Old 06-19-13, 01:50 PM   #3161
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
I give up I'm reinstalling SH3, this game was great but SH4 isn't its true successor.

It's a real shame this game didn't get the attention or work SH3 had from its devs... it would have been perfect.

Just one final question, out of curiosity, how would I have stopped my sub crew from being automatically promoted? by 1945 I had LOTS of officers and almost no seamen... it was... scary, a submarine full of lieutenants zur see.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to thank u all for all the help.
The automatically get promoted until the rank of petty officer or its equivalent and you can't turn it off.
Old 06-22-13, 11:38 AM   #3162
baronfrost
Watch

Downloads: 95
Default SH4 ship damage graphics

Why do the ship damage graphics change from the Sh4 graphics, and is there a way to change them back. I liked seeing the holes in the ships from torp damage.
baronfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 03:16 PM   #3163
airsangel
Loader

so is it final that there is no playable XVIII like old sh4 + ubm originally started ?

wanted to try that beast....what is the full list of all german playable subs in OM

also i added debris with bodies and lifeboats from pe4///could it be playing with damage models...and that i cant see any torpedo holes in any of the ships ??

only small destroyers and patrol boats look realistic when hit with holes and high pressure explosions ....while bih ships and almost all merchants take the hit and i cant review the damage coz i see no effects ..
Old 06-26-13, 01:39 AM   #3164
Railgun
Watch

Downloads: 63
Default A few observations

Hi everyone.

Ive finally managed to get OM Omegu working , using the Kiub wheels etc.

Great mod !

I found though that compared to TMO 2, my torpedoes when they do explode appear more damaging than the mk 14'S I was using in my Salmon Class Boat in the Pacific.

Not in any way a critiscism, just an observation. Well done all modders out there

RG
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 10:19 PM   #3165
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I found though that compared to TMO 2, my torpedoes when they do explode appear more damaging than the mk 14'S I was using in my Salmon Class Boat in the Pacific.
That would be because the German torpedoes had a more powerful warhead than the American torpedoes.

The Ga7 and Ge7 had 617lbs of Hexanite the Mk14 had 507lbs of TNT.Neither where on par with the Japanese sub launched torpedo which had 893lbs of explosives a later war IJN torpedo had 1213lbs of bang juice.

The dud issues for the contact exploders was completely opposite the German exploders tended to fail if the hit was glancing and required as close to a 90 degree angle go off.The US exploders tended to fail at perfect angles and required a more glancing hit to go off.