SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-24, 01:35 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprav View Post
Yeappp! T'was Awesome! Unforgettable experience!
3 days down the Bystraja crystal blue river in Kamchatka! Met 28 bears, fishing along their trail.
(God forbid you camping on a Big Effraim's way like us, careless fools. Just DON'T.
Or else the best it might be - waiting at dying fire till dawn praying Almighty that would never happen again.
The worst.. thank God it never did..)

Great Beautiful Virgin Land! A mystery one can never tame!
Gorgeous looking country. Are any of the volcanoes in the area still active? There are several places in the US that have fantastic white-water rafting and canoeing. Not so many with bears, thankfully... I've been on several, and we had a trip years ago where we camped on an island (the usual stopover location for the tour company), but it rained heavily overnight, and we got flooded out. It was still a fun trip, other than the 2 or 3 hours of sheer terror in the lightning, thunder and heavy rain...

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-24, 10:38 PM   #17
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

nimesha02!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-24, 06:51 PM   #18
Poprav
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Icon7

Quote:
Gorgeous looking country. Are any of the volcanoes in the area still active? There are several places in the US that have fantastic white-water rafting and canoeing. Not so many with bears, thankfully... I've been on several, and we had a trip years ago where we camped on an island (the usual stopover location for the tour company), but it rained heavily overnight, and we got flooded out. It was still a fun trip, other than the 2 or 3 hours of sheer terror in the lightning, thunder and heavy rain...
Prase the Lord! Back onboard with you, guys!
It's good you got a pile of hiking trips in the pocket of your own, Proppy! No, it's just great! Especialy when you're not somewhere out in the river or the ocean flooded out but here with us in Radio Room

Well, the issue matter comes to the next one.
About the LifeGuard duties.
Was ordered an area (blue circle) to search downed pilots. The message said they would be there within a day or two... But.. no sign of anyone above the surface. Spent a couple of weeks running through out the area and the patrole green circle at that. ... still no one to rescue (assuming a blue square with slow speed and direction is a pilot {single or a group raft} on nav map). Occasionly spotted some blue triangles (very fast speed, SE direction) stable on map but.. invisible in life.

Popped up beyond the search circles on a certain direction (some of them close enough) to Saipan/ Tinian air bases.

Guess somone spotted the homebound bombers after imperial Island mission and sent a report or... it's my guess only???

Useless looking for friendlies (like a needle in the haystack or a flee on a dog ) 24/7 and night kamikaze group fighting for weeks was all I succeeded. (enemy rafts and drowning fliers present yet)

COMSUBS radios gave me some relief telling there're other rescue teams it the region and I was free to hunt elsewhere. But the rescue mission star still remained yellow never fading to grey... And eventually the final end patrole list comfirmed my failure.

What I did wrong//??? Guide me, please!!!

Last edited by Poprav; 09-04-24 at 07:16 PM.
Poprav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 10:22 AM   #19
Poprav
Swabbie

Exclamation

Permission to say, Commander Captns!
I bet you noticed dozens of the game... squirrelyness:, as Aktunbby says . The one finely tested as follows. When time compression exceeds 4 (8+ actually) a downed pilot flare starts to... fly..(pilot aswell)!!! Speeding up like a torpedo boat (32 knts awesome!!!) always in one direction (225 bearing). Constantly. Unlike the Life Boat with the crew on board to recover. Which is always stable. No matter what TC is.

Sometimes it's a nice glitch . For instance you're trying to rescue a pilot downed somewhere deep inland. Anywhere ashore. Wait for him, running through the jungle like Bear Grills to hopefully reach your boat in some hidden and calm bay. Or pick up some flyers to come through a zone heavily shelled while in action. But it's too bad for those unlucky dragging into a boat some half a mile away (or closer) from a Battleship that nailed their bird in the air raid...
Old 09-05-24, 03:41 PM   #20
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Gone to Texas. No More Kleptocratic Government for me!
Downloads: 440
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Permission to say, Commander Captns!
I bet you noticed dozens of the game... squirrelyness:, as Aktunbby says . The one finely tested as follows. When time compression exceeds 4 (8+ actually) a downed pilot flare starts to... fly..(pilot aswell)!!! Speeding up like a torpedo boat (32 knts awesome!!!) always in one direction (225 bearing). Constantly. Unlike the Life Boat with the crew on board to recover. Which is always stable. No matter what TC is.

Sometimes it's a nice glitch . For instance you're trying to rescue a pilot downed somewhere deep inland. Anywhere ashore. Wait for him, running through the jungle like Bear Grills to hopefully reach your boat in some hidden and calm bay. Or pick up some flyers to come through a zone heavily shelled while in action. But it's too bad for those unlucky dragging into a boat some half a mile away (or closer) from a Battleship that nailed their bird in the air raid...
hmmm...i'll wager that you like to alt-tab away from SH4 to do other things and then return?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 07:25 PM   #21
Poprav
Swabbie

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hmmm...i'll wager that you like to alt-tab away from SH4 to do other things and then return?
Nope, man. Always running the game with no alt-tabs. (pretty much aware it glitches the process).

And as for the lifeguarding.
The way it goes in Submarine School and in real campaign mission(s) is a ONE GREAT DIFFERENCE ALL RIGHT. (Tested myself today again)

1) At school basic blue squares (assumed stabilized) normally pop up on navigation map when you're within reach. Visible red smoke shows the pilot position. But racing boat speed flyers (TC 8+) present even there. Well, it's a go anyway. Catching up with them at TC4 or real time troubles me not.

2)The Campaign Lifeguarding is QUITE THE OTHER THING.: ABSOLUTELY!!!
Once tried to rescue three dudes north east off the Luzone. Received a nightly with their coordinates. Happily found one, hoped for another two. Plowed the entire water area up 'n' down but... NOTHING.

Next repeat was a year or two later (game time) south east off Davao. With the same outcome. With one man rescued.

And finally this. Blue Triangle(s) appear on nav map. Stabilized but with "speed - very fast/ direction - SE {in my case}" inscription.
(Normally they move on the same map at very fast speed as the plane in visibility). Trying to approach. A couple of bomber figures (grey coloured beyond the visibility) proceeding down their way appears on the map and... vanishes a minute later. Further searches yielded no results. For weeks.

What the///

P.S. No Alt-Tabs. By the way. Each game reload from desktop. No game menue.
The original (stock) game rescue missions were one of my favorites. Always lucky with plenty of saved may-day boys.
Can't say that at present day... Mission Uncomplishable!
Guess I'm in distress now myself... Please, Help!!!

Last edited by Poprav; 09-05-24 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-05-24, 07:59 PM   #22
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Gone to Texas. No More Kleptocratic Government for me!
Downloads: 440
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Nope, man. Always running the game with no alt-tabs. (pretty much aware it glitches the process).

The way it goes in Submarine School and in real campaign mission(s) is a ONE GREAT DIFFERENCE ALL RIGHT. (Tested myself today again)

1) At school basic blue squares (assumed stabilized) normally pop up on navigation map when you're within reach. Visible red smoke shows the pilot position. But racing boat speed flyers (TC 8+) present even there. Well, it's a go anyway. Catching up with them at TC4 or real time troubles me not.

Once tried to rescue three dudes north east off the Luzone. Received a nightly with their coordinates. Happily found one, hoped for another two. Plowed the entire water area up 'n' down but... NOTHING.

Next repeat was a year or two later (game time) south east off Davao. With the same outcome. With one man rescued.

And finally this. Blue Triangle(s) appear on nav map. Stabilized but with "speed - very fast/ direction - SE {in my case}" inscription.
(Normally they move on the same map at very fast speed as the plane in visibility). Trying to approach. A couple of bomber figures (grey coloured beyond the visibility) proceeding down their way appears on the map and... vanishes a minute later. Further searches yielded no results.

What the///

The original game rescue missions were one of my favorites. Always lucky with plenty of saved may-day boys.

it would be instructive to know which mission you are executing, from the CareerTrack.upc.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 09:44 PM   #23
propbeanie

Quote:

(Normally they move on the same map at very fast speed as the plane in visibility). Trying to approach. A couple of bomber figures (grey coloured beyond the visibility) proceeding down their way appears on the map and... vanishes a minute later. Further searches yielded no results. For weeks.

What the///

The original (stock) game rescue missions were one of my favorites. Always lucky with plenty of saved may-day boys.
Lifeguarding in SH4 is NOT real life, of course, but in FotRSU, we attempted to set the missions up to be slightly closer to "real life", in that most submarines did not pick-up but a few zoomie flyboys, so unless you get a mission off of Truk, or some of the other scenarios where there are a lot of "survivors", you most often won't get any of them. There were boats sent out on lifeguard that went days without a single airplane being shot down, hence no pilots to pick-up. Unfortunately, there is no way in the SH4 game to "complete" a lifeguard mission based upon "time", so when you end up with a mission calling for your boat to do Standby Lifeguard Duty, and there are no pilot survivors to pickup, it does not give you a completed mission. There are also instances where the survivors drift (as you've seen), and they can and do drift outside of the designated pickup "zone", and those do not count toward the lifeguard Objective, in spite of you actually rescuing them, which is another SH4 failing. We have attempted a slight re-working of the "logic" used in building some of the Lifeguard missions in the next version, but it is still unsatisfactory. We will keep trying to make the missions better though. Have you noticed that the more Time Compression you use, the faster the survivors drift?? 32xTC, and they'll be over the horizon before you can blink... Also, be aware that with some of the missions, there will be enemy planes that can and will attack you, but there will also sometimes be simulated SCAP (Submarine Combat Air Patrol) and sometimes "Dumbo" planes, which might be a B-17, PB4Y-1 or -2, or B-29 (yellow stripes on the 17 & 29 tails), so you definitely want to identify the airplanes as soon as possible... Also, look in the "Support \ExtraInfo" folder for a "SS05 InsertionRescueTraining.pdf" file with a bit more info on the task...

Old 09-06-24, 12:20 AM   #24
Poprav
Swabbie

Icon11

GUYS! Propbeanie! Aktungbby! Marco! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! AND I MEAN IT!!!
FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

I must confess. The idea that zoomers rescue is not a piece of cake came to me once or twice. But (oh! these butts) the wish to be a hero of every mission pushed it out of my arrogant 'n' boastful mind every time Thanks for dragging me back down on Mother Earth from shaky Stairway to Heaven

Proppie, You're the BEST! As the others too!
Old 09-06-24, 02:57 AM   #25
Poprav
Swabbie

gear

As for the Blue "Bermuda" Triangle
to whom it may concern
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/KfAdLnGkiVG2rg
__________________________________________________ _____________

Wolves of the Pacific v1.3 + U-Boat Add-On v.1.5 (Cloud download)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Windows 10 Pro
Old 09-06-24, 01:53 PM   #26
propbeanie

The best thing to do when an objective fails to finish for you, is to find a ship or two, and sink them, which is what you did there...