SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-04-16, 06:01 PM   #2971
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

My Gato had some kind of upgrade concerning something about a lower profile on the AA gun, note to self, I must take more notice of these things.

Anyway, after the upgrade I messed around with the deck gun placement, apparently you can't put a bow deck gun on the boat or it refuses to appear, hmmmm I seem to remember this was a game bug and not just a bug of this mod, am I remembering right or am I imagining this.

Nothing else to report which is good.
Old 12-04-16, 06:54 PM   #2972
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Okay, I checked out the sounds. They all work, hydrophones, including background noise and own propellers, periscope up and down sounds. Battlestation sounds and secure from battlestations sounds all work as advertised.

Are you working with the 4 GB patch applied to SH4.exe? Do you have 64-bit Windows? Is your desktop shortcut pointing to SH4.exe, NOT gu.exe? Failure to have any of the three can cause you to have problems running anything as big as FOTRS Ultimate. We're pushing the envelope here.
I've got all that covered RR. Maybe its got something to do with my settings. In sound settings what do you normally set the 3d sound channel slider too. I have a creative labs 5.1 set-up. What do you recommend? That is weird that I can't hear the boatswains whistle or the scopes powering up or down. And I can still hear the U-boat style alarm bell when crash diving.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 07:34 PM   #2973
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I haven't touched the 3d settings from stock. I'm running 5.1 but it's all Linux stuff so it has little in common with what you're running. I'm using ALSA and PulseAudio. Just checking I am using stereo output and not 5.1 for SH4. You might try that.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 07:35 PM   #2974
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Agreed those messages could be cut by 2/3, or the game could be set up not to throttle down the TC when they happen. Note to the 3 Horsemen of the Apocalypse: could we put those reports back into German so at least they'd be mysterious?

I actually like those messages, kind of wish there was more!

It creates better immersion for me, makes me feel like I'm not alone out there, like there is a real world continuing to go on.

Maybe a candidate for future plugin!
Old 12-04-16, 07:35 PM   #2975
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
My Gato had some kind of upgrade concerning something about a lower profile on the AA gun, note to self, I must take more notice of these things.

Anyway, after the upgrade I messed around with the deck gun placement, apparently you can't put a bow deck gun on the boat or it refuses to appear, hmmmm I seem to remember this was a game bug and not just a bug of this mod, am I remembering right or am I imagining this.
You remember right. Ducimus had some kind of patch that allowed you to switch the position of the deck gun for TMO, but I don't remember much about it.
Old 12-04-16, 08:09 PM   #2976
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1815

Quote:
I haven't touched the 3d settings from stock. I'm running 5.1 but it's all Linux stuff so it has little in common with what you're running. I'm using ALSA and PulseAudio. Just checking I am using stereo output and not 5.1 for SH4. You might try that.
I'll give a go old boy. I have never had trouble with the sound before. Very strange.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 10:19 PM   #2977
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default TEC] Thermal Layers (how things work) By Peto

Was panning through some older post and found this maybe it will help out.....
I think this was during TMO 1.7.6
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ight=TMO+patch

Deck gun changed in FLAVOR TO TASTE 2.3 in April 2007

I know this is pre-curser to TMO maybe RR has copies or another member??

[Tec ] AI Settings in TM 1.4 by Ducimus

Fith

Last edited by fithah4; 12-04-16 at 10:37 PM.
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-16, 11:41 PM   #2978
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default Deck gun placement

Ok scratch the link of Flavor to Taste I believe the TMO_Hotfix_041709 for TMO 1.7 is a starting point to investigate.........

Fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 05:32 AM   #2979
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
Ok scratch the link of Flavor to Taste I believe the TMO_Hotfix_041709 for TMO 1.7 is a starting point to investigate.........

Fith
Thank you. I'm on the same course of investigation, with a spreadsheet of the changlogs from Flavored to Taste through all the versions of TM and TMO.

I've been looking for those posts you referenced but hadn't found the one I was looking for, Ducimus' post on AI Settings In TM 1.4. Thanks!

Our battle plan is to ratchet back the viciousness of the core mod. Then when we get into the plugin phase, we will have three or four additional enemy AI plugin mods so players can select their own level of enemy bloodthirstiness.

Because what you see is not what you're going to end up with. Our goal is nothing short of changing the way Silent Hunter 4 is played from now on. We'll put the player in charge of his own supermod with a wide-ranging selection of Certified FOTRSU Plugin Mods, which will be a bit like an options list for a new automobile. We'll have a system where players can avoid mod conflicts, know exactly what order to install the plugins and can remix their recipe at will. Right now it looks like we're working on an ambitious but garden variety supermod. But the true end of our evil plan is the Certified FOTRSU Plugin Mods. Silent Hunter will never be the same again.

But first we have muchas work to do on the core mod to get it where it needs to be.
Old 12-05-16, 06:38 AM   #2980
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post

Fith
Okay fithah4, I just burned two hours chasing your rabbits. Subsim sure had some dark tunnels 9 years ago, didn't it? That is why my mods always have a readme that states players may use it, abuse it, steal it, borrow it, give credit or not as you think right. Once a mod is out there people will do what they do with it and pretending to be outraged is just selfish and foolish.

Very few mods have been published with as much work behind them as the original FOTRS series, but the AOTD felt the same as I do. Very few mods have as much work behind them as FOTRS Ultimate, but it too is fair game once released. If people want to give us credit that's appreciated. If not, then we most likely won't even notice. We're having a blast creating and nothing can take that away.

Rules have little to do with how people behave. They just make the rancor worse. And in fact, no such rules have ever been universally accepted and no enforcement of any such rules has ever happened. It was a lot of anger and hurt feelings for no gain. Wasted effort and time.

I had a life changing conversation with a cop running a radar trap. There he was standing beside the road. He was visible from a mile away. So I was talking to him. "Wouldn't it be a lot more productive if you were set up behind that sign over there so people couldn't see you?" Seemed like a reasonable question to me. He said "Speeders will speed. They see me. They don't care. I pull 'em over, as many as I can write ticket to, all day right from here."

I own a self-storage business. When I started, we had a damage/security deposit. It was so people would think twice before skipping out on a bill. But I had a wild idea based on the above incident. Was I just punishing our many good customers and having no effect on the bad ones? I killed the deposit. Nothing changed. The good customers were still good. The bad customers skipped in the exact same proportions as before. In my zeal to protect myself I was punishing the people who make my success possible. Smooth move, ex-lax.

Let's make something cool!
Old 12-05-16, 08:11 AM   #2981
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_nix View Post
I actually like those messages, kind of wish there was more!

It creates better immersion for me, makes me feel like I'm not alone out there, like there is a real world continuing to go on.

Maybe a candidate for future plugin!
And a perfect example of why I think plugins are necessary for FOTRS Ultimate.

The old way was "This mod is a personal project that flavors SH4 to my taste." The new way will be "Here's a spice rack. You make it taste the way you like it. How do you want it cooked?" or "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us."
Old 12-05-16, 11:02 AM   #2982
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Have come across something else that should be looked into. In my current career I was patrolling in a Tambor class out of Fremantle. Got three patrols under my belt and was offered a new command, which I accepted. I was transferred to Pearl in command of the USS Kingfish. However my patrol assignment was to drop of guerillas on the east coast of the Philippines. I'm wondering if the patrol objectives can be changed to reflect an assignment more in the area of each command.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 02:25 PM   #2983
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Every person who plays any supermod, TMO, GFO, FOTRS, RFB, FOTRS Ultimate will get what Kapt. Lehmann calls mod soup. That's when your game contains remnants of previously installed and removed mods. JSGME is good but it isn't perfect.

So now your game crashes for no apparent reason. How are you going to diagnose and correct the problem? Usually the answer is a gruelling reinstallation process. Then a redownloading of all your mods and activating all of them.

You will lose your game saves. You will lose your settings. You will lose your temper!

What if I told you none of that needs to be necessary ever again! What if I told you that when you get mod soup you're only ten minutes from just resuming your last saved game as if nothing had ever happened?

Read and watch my "Tutorial: Make an SH4 lockbox and independent game installations" thread. You might want to watch the last video first to see what the payoff is.

You keep all your game saves. You keep all your settings. You don't lose your temper. You never need to reinstall SH4 again. Takes 10 minutes, maximum.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-05-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 02:45 PM   #2984
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511

All that spam messages can give away your pos to enemy guys. Thats a submarine radio not the news. Its dangerous i m been find several times for the radio messages send and received...strange things happen sometime...you send a radio messages, or going to darwin for top fuel before pass malay barrier, and while you pass it, you.met hunter killer groups...several....i never go to darwin indeed since i m been killed several times for both messages and enemy scouts that havent attacked me...(their duty isnt bomb.you. but report your pos....). It s is very possibile that while your going in some passage after report your position the destroyer on service that night is yet waiting for you.... I try to use the radio less possible for that....strange things happened to me.
Once passing malay barrier, i topped my fuel to darwin, and reported my pos to base, and later i met hunter killer groups, one every 10 miles, 4 in all, one in front of the passage, 2 inside, and another on the other side..2 patrol boats and a destroyer for group...in 1942 not on 1945... Strange eh? .. The attacks was vicious and determined, often during night in surface....they was going at sure.hit....seems that they was waiting for me....
You should.be careful and investigate especially by late 43 in empire waters....
Another time passing between new guinea and bismark sea.i attacked 3 sampans. After 5 minutes 3 long range bombers arrived and i m been forced to escape....possibly the sampans gived away.my pos...

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 12-05-16 at 02:57 PM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 06:38 PM   #2985
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
That's when your game contains remnants of previously installed and removed mods. JSGME is good but it isn't perfect.

So now your game crashes for no apparent reason. How are you going to diagnose and correct the problem? Usually the answer is a gruelling reinstallation process. Then a redownloading of all your mods and activating all of them.
I certainly know what a lockup of a computer is while enabling or disabling mods! I had to do a control alt delete to break out and close SH4.
That is how I discovered
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...62&postcount=3

I have been waiting patiently for a public release. Thanks to all for working on FOTRS Ultimate. It brought me back to SH4 since I have not played it since April 2013. I have played GFO, TMO and RSRD and even had them combined and worked pretty good with modiifications for me.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote