Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-20, 11:25 AM   #2881
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

It's to early

The curve of who many is in the hospital and who have died indirectly from this Corona virus have had a down going spiral the last 7-10 days here in Denmark.

This have made the government more optimistic and have decided that beside the kids even 27000 more can go back to their jobs.

I have a fear that in the middle or in the end of May this curve will go straight up instead of down.

Then Denmark will be back on square one again.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 11:52 AM   #2882
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 11:53 AM   #2883
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 11:58 AM   #2884
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab says the country's lockdown will continue for at least three more weeks.

"Now is not the moment to give the coronavirus a second chance," he says.

5.25m more Americans file jobless claims with the economy reeling from the coronavirus outbreak.

Since mid-March the US has lost more than 20m jobs, the worst run on record
New York extends its restrictions until 15 May.

Old 04-16-20, 12:10 PM   #2885
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
5.25m more Americans file jobless claims with the economy reeling from the coronavirus outbreak.

Since mid-March the US has lost more than 20m jobs, the worst run on record
New York extends its restrictions until 15 May.
So like our great great grandparents remember the depression years of the 1930's

Our generation will remember the 2020's

"You mean you had to stay at home and not go any where grandpa"?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 12:21 PM   #2886
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
So like our great great grandparents remember the depression years of the 1930's

I sincerely hope not.

Old 04-16-20, 01:27 PM   #2887
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
I sincerely hope not.
I want one

or achievement

Old 04-16-20, 02:00 PM   #2888
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

The ghosts of my great grandparents, who lived not only the great depression but through the Spanish flu and both world wars (6 out of 8 anyways) would be snorting at derision at the most horrific 2020's tale we could conjure up.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:02 PM   #2889
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
This is all good and well. But nationalism, egoism and capitalism create a barrier between man and those ideals. Not hat they are new, not that they are wrong. Edward Abbey anyone?
But it will all go on like before on this sh!thole they call "earth". No one has ever learned from the past, humans do not live long enogh, they still "elect" (if you believe that crap) idiots to rule the world.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:19 PM   #2890
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
I want one

Put me down for one as well.
My old Navy ball caps are getting really old. On the Barbel, we were able to order some really nice caps for the decommissioning made of felt. I haven't seen felt boat caps in something like 20 years.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:33 PM   #2891
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:

What a leaked Homeland Security report tells us about coronavirus

Could COVID be more prevalent — but less deadly — than we initially thought?

Ross Clark

Have we been vastly underestimating the number of people who have been infected with COVID-19 and correspondingly overestimating its mortality? No one knows because we don’t know just how widespread this infection is in the population at large. But a leaked document from the Department of Homeland Security suggests that the government, at least, is working on the assumption that the virus is a lot harder to contain — but a lot less deadly — than is widely assumed.
The document compares the likely outcome of two scenarios: one in which the outbreak is ‘unmitigated’ — i.e. life carries on as normal — and one in which the government imposes a 30-day ‘shelter in place’ order followed by further mitigation measures. In the first scenario, it concludes that 195 million people – i.e. over half the US population — would become infected and 300,000 people would die. If that sounds frightening, then look at the mitigation scenario. In that case, believes the Department of Homeland Security, 160 million people would become infected and 200,000 would die. In other words, the kind of lockdown measures being employed in the US and around the world could help to cut the death toll by a third, but would only cut the number of infections by around a sixth.
More remarkably still is the mortality rate that these figures imply. In the unmitigated scenario, the mortality rate would be 0.15 percent and in the mitigated scenario, it would be 0.125 percent. This is far lower than has been suggested elsewhere. Imperial College London, for example, first estimated the mortality rate at 0.9 percent and has more recently revised that down to 0.66 percent. (The 3.2 percent figure that the World Health Organization foolishly put out in early March can be dismissed — it was a simple division of reported deaths by reported cases, ignoring the large number of mild cases which have gone unreported). The US figures would put COVID-19 much in the same bracket as ordinary seasonal flu — whose mortality rate is around 0.1 percent and which the Centers for Disease Control estimates kills between 290,000 and 650,000 globally every year.
It is not clear how the Department for Homeland Security calculated its figures, only that it came from their data and analytics team and that the document is marked ‘for official use only’. But it opens up a new side to the debate over the lockdown, which President Trump has been very keen to lift and Dr Anthony Fauci has been adamant must stay in place. If lockdown is only going to reduce the numbers of infections by a sixth, then why are we destroying the economy in order to impose it?
https://spectator.us/leaked-homeland...t-coronavirus/
Old 04-16-20, 03:37 PM   #2892
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
This is all good and well. But nationalism, egoism and capitalism create a barrier between man and those ideals. Not hat they are new, not that they are wrong. Edward Abbey anyone?
But it will all go on like before on this sh!thole they call "earth". No one has ever learned from the past, humans do not live long enogh, they still "elect" (if you believe that crap) idiots to rule the world.

"...There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."— Carl Sagan

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-20, 03:44 PM   #2893
August
Wayfaring Stranger

It can't be said enough:

"Flattening the curve" means spreading the infection rate out over time to prevent our hospitals from getting overwhelmed with too many patients all at once. It is NOT meant to keep us from getting the virus at all and it won't achieve that. Get it now, next week or 3 months from now we will all get exposed to it eventually.
Old 04-16-20, 04:15 PM   #2894
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Check my brain Lord ... The news media at least on CNN is right now saying we should stay at home (which I also believe, but I don't have anything to lose) and Uncle Sam is saying lets open the economy back up this month with restrictions.

Here's the rub "What if Uncle Sam was saying lets stay at home and continue this shut down for thirty (30) more days" Would the news media (again at least CNN) then say "No no lets open up all of the businesses we have to get back to work"

Just something I'm going through I guess
or achievement

Old 04-16-20, 04:37 PM   #2895
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
It can't be said enough:

"Flattening the curve" means spreading the infection rate out over time to prevent our hospitals from getting overwhelmed with too many patients all at once. It is NOT meant to keep us from getting the virus at all and it won't achieve that. Get it now, next week or 3 months from now we will all get exposed to it eventually.

Any other plan is vanity just like the idea that humans can alter climate change when they can't even clean poop off the streets.

Last edited by em2nought; 04-16-20 at 04:38 PM. Reason: global warming changed to climate change
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan