Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-03-19, 12:29 PM   #2761
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

cool

We are currently in Bavaria, and the weather forecast has been wrong.. despite telling us it will rain and storm with thunderbolts all over, temperature has been between 23 an 30 degrees C. and sunny with some rare clouds since 2+ weeks

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 06:09 AM   #2762
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Neighbour is away atm and at 4am her house alarm was activated so up I got and entered her property using the front door key she has entrusted us with for just such an occasion.

Everything seemed in order so I reset the alarm and secured the property them promptly retired back into bed.

A courier called this morning with a large box of chocolates and an attached thank you note.

A lovely gesture but without wishing to sound ungrateful, surely a bottle of rum or a case of beer would have been cheaper

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 06:34 AM   #2763
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

I was not aware beer is cheaper than chocolates.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-19, 06:47 AM   #2764
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/...late-large-box
£12.99

I'm currently paying £10 for cases of Carling and Carlsberg.

Old 09-04-19, 06:59 AM   #2765
STEED
Lucky Jack

Well I never....

Off to work later, another big crowd in tonight. Blown my weekend with over time but hey it pays well just as well its a pain in the rear. I will be glad when we get back to normal.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 09-04-19, 11:55 AM   #2766
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Neighbour is away atm and at 4am her house alarm was activated so up I got and entered her property using the front door key she has entrusted us with for just such an occasion.

Everything seemed in order so I reset the alarm and secured the property them promptly retired back into bed.

A courier called this morning with a large box of chocolates and an attached thank you note.

A lovely gesture but without wishing to sound ungrateful, surely a bottle of rum or a case of beer would have been cheaper
I trust you brought your Webley Watson; I do the same for my boat captain two doors down when he travels(and vice-versa) and, as the 'hood's only professional security type, anyone else on the street who has left the garage up after dark in crime-ridden Napa. I'm contemplating a $90ish camera /doorbell system that my wife's cellphone can monitior. My captain has one and can spot visitors from anywhere on it That'll solve the FEDEX delivery problem, recently discussed in another thread as well, most of which are the wife's knitting yarn deliveries anyhow. My front door has never had a doorbell in the 30 years I've been here..so time to join the 21 century methinks.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-19, 06:40 AM   #2767
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I trust you brought your Webley Watson; I do the same for my boat captain two doors down when he travels(and vice-versa) and, as the 'hood's only professional security type, anyone else on the street who has left the garage up after dark in crime-ridden Napa. I'm contemplating a $90ish camera /doorbell system that my wife's cellphone can monitior. My captain has one and can spot visitors from anywhere on it That'll solve the FEDEX delivery problem, recently discussed in another thread as well, most of which are the wife's knitting yarn deliveries anyhow. My front door has never had a doorbell in the 30 years I've been here..so time to join the 21 century methinks.
We have a dog and he is our audible warning of anyone approaching, even before they can activate the doorbell....provided we're in the house of course.

Old 09-06-19, 12:49 PM   #2768
STEED
Lucky Jack

Two thirds though my over time and I am shagged out, thank goodness it's the weekend.

Old 09-07-19, 12:36 PM   #2769
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Getting ready for the tropical storm that was Hurricane Dorian to slide through the Maritimes today and overnight. Should be fun.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca.../charlottetown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 01:38 PM   #2770
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

do you keep sheet plywood storm windows for these 'battendown' occasions?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 01:58 PM   #2771
u crank

No. It never gets that bad. There was a lot of activity though yesterday down at the local yacht club. There could be wind gusts of 75 mph, a lot of rain and a storm surge. We are up pretty high so that's not a problem. Might lose power which would be a problem for the sump pump but it's been very dry here so the water table is low.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 09-08-19, 06:22 AM   #2772
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Getting ready for the tropical storm that was Hurricane Dorian to slide through the Maritimes today and overnight. Should be fun.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca.../charlottetown
Stay safe Marcel

Old 09-08-19, 06:53 AM   #2773
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Great North Run day today and lovely weather it is for it too.

Living so close to the finish line and most of the roads in the immediate area being closed until 4pm usually sees the wife and I sitting in the rear garden watching the Red Arrows performing but sadly they aren't appearing this year so we have had to make do with watching the Press and Police helicopters instead.

Congratulations to Mo Farah who has just won for the sixth time, a new record.

Old 09-08-19, 06:56 AM   #2774
u crank

Thanks Jim. The worst is over and we did ok. Lots of people have no power but ours stayed on. It was a scary event. As the system approched Nova Scotia it was supposed to downgrade to a tropical storm. Instead it remained a cat 1 and almost reached cat 2 status. My son who lives in Halifax has been without power now since yesterday. A tree in his backyard fell on the fence I built. Dang. They are all safe so that's all that matters. He just texted his Mom and said he was cooking breakfast on the BBQ. Boy's gotta eat.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 09-08-19, 06:59 AM   #2775
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
A tree in his backyard fell on the fence I built. Dang.
Now that made me laugh