Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-22, 03:00 PM   #2701
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Does this mean that countries in the future can't join NATO...because Russia see NATO as an aggressive alliance ?

Ukraine has a long way before they can consider being asked if they wanna join the club. But countries Like Finland, Sweden and Georgia who meets the requirements needed. can't join.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 03-27-22, 03:51 PM   #2702
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Nations can ask to join NATO, and NATO can say Yes or No. The deciison by NAOT mujst be unanimously.

Not more and not less it means. Nobody has a right to demand beign accepted into the club (may it be NATO or the EU).

There are no unwelcomed questions. Only unwelcomed answers.

Russia, because of its invasion and the many war crimes it commits, has forfeited any claim that NATO must abide by self-limiting treaties. That the interest to be able to defend itself against Russia is highly justified: this proof has been given by Russia itself with extreme brutality and consistency. The content of the treaty limiting NATO's presence in the Eastern European member states has become completely invalidated by the Russian invasion.

If Sweden and Finland join NATO, and in principle I have no objections, I think it would be wise if NATO immediately massively AND QUICKLY boosts combat capacities in Finland - just in case that Russia thinks it must react with another invasion to this "provocation".

---------------

Germany considers to buy the Israeli Arrow-3 system. If really pushing for it it could be operational in 2025. It has signficantly longer range and higher reach than the Patriots we still use (older versions of them, AFAIK). It seems Berlin finally (!) realises that the Russians have based short and medium range tactical nuclear missiles in Kaliningrad that could reach Berlin in 4 minutes.

edit. Just looked it up, the Germans seem to use PAC-3 of the Patriot.

Germany since two decades considers, plans, weighs options, talks about, babbles about such a system to develope, with the result that this kind of political surveillance all to often has: none. What I like about the Arrow-3, beside the specs, is that it practically is ready for production and thus: is to be bought off the shelves. Costs: around 2bn.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-27-22 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 04:15 PM   #2703
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
It seems like there are a tendency to substantiate Russian bombing among civilians in Ukraine by saying USA did and do the same in Syria.

I can't remember USA having bombed a hospital on purpose in Syria !

Markus

There was that hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan

But we said we were "sorry"
Old 03-27-22, 04:24 PM   #2704
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post

The question is- did they bomb the hospital on purpose ?

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-27-22, 04:32 PM   #2705
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
C'mon now. 12 persons were removed from command; reparations were paid to WIA/KIA-$3k/$6/k families!?? and $5-million paid to rebuild the facility. It was chalked up as an accident! Now that's at least what I call..."friendly fire"...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 03-27-22, 06:43 PM   #2706
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Sounds familiar.

Looks like a rather obvious ham handed attempt at tying Donald Trump to the Russians to me. What's that make now, failed attempt number 7 or 9 or something?

And I gotta ask, did the boys at the DNC actually make that MRGA hat in the picture or did they just make a lame screenshot of some baseball hat ad offering free lettering. Judging by the lack of light shading i'm guessing it's the latter.

The quality of their memes has really fallen off lately. Just sayin'.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 03-27-22, 08:50 PM   #2707
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I have no idea, August. I thought of it about three days ago and then found it was already a product.

In any case, I can't help seeing how much parallel there is by invoking past glory to motivate a modern base.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 03-27-22, 10:51 PM   #2708
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I have no idea, August. I thought of it about three days ago and then found it was already a product.

In any case, I can't help seeing how much parallel there is by invoking past glory to motivate a modern base.

All politicians and all political movements have always invoked past glories to motivate modern bases. What in particular about Trumps rather innocuous use of the same time honored tactic do you find so distressing as to spend days comparing it with a 21st century Russian strong-mans attempt to revive a dead empire by force?

There is nothing wrong with making America great and it certainly doesn't involve invading other countries or poisoning political opponents so I don't see the parallel. Maybe it's just in your mind.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 03-28-22, 10:52 AM   #2709
Skybird
Soaring

Say what you want - Russia at least stays consistent with it usual methods.

FOCUS writes:

Russian oligarch and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich may have been poisoned during peace talks between Ukraine and Russia. The same is said to have happened to at least two representatives of the Ukrainian side. As reported by the "Wall Street Journal" and the platform "Bellingcat", this allegedly happened during the negotiations on March 3 and 4. It was about "chemical weapons", they say.

The negotiations had taken place in Kiev. Abramovich was part of the delegation of Ukrainian MP Rustem Umerov. He and the two Ukrainian representatives had complained of red and watery eyes. In addition, the skin on his face and hands had peeled off, the Wall Street Journal said, citing negotiating circles.

The Russian side is accused of poisoning the participants and trying to delay the end of the war by sabotaging the talks.

Abramovich was part of the negotiations, according to the "Wall Street Journal," traveling back and forth between Moscow, Lviv and other venues of the peace talks. He is believed to have a role as a mediator. This may have been one of the reasons why Ukrainian President Volodymyr Selensky asked the West not to sanction Abramovich.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Old 03-28-22, 10:59 AM   #2710
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

^ We are discussing this in a stream on yt-where I asked what is the motive and means behind this step-'cause it is Russia no doubt whatsoever who's behind it.

What will the consequences be ?

Edit
Someone wrote:
"Bellingcat investigator says Russia's defense minister Shoigu and other senior officials, possibly including Putin, are residing in nuclear bunkers near Ufa in the Ural mountains (BellingCat)"
End of edit

Can't find any confirmation on this

Markus

mapuc is online  
Old 03-28-22, 11:06 AM   #2711
Skybird
Soaring

Consequences? After 3 more weeks since the "event" the war goes on. As inbtended by Putin. Just today it gets reported that he has refused any compromises alltogether once again.
Old 03-28-22, 12:45 PM   #2712
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-28-22, 12:51 PM   #2713
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning at talks in Kyiv earlier this month, sources close to him confirm.

He has since recovered but experienced symptoms including peeling skin, red eyes, and constant tearing, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Russia is meanwhile developing measures to restrict entry into country for nationals of "unfriendly" countries, its foreign minister says.

The government has previously included the US, UK and EU nations on a list of such states.

Ukraine closed humanitarian corridors from its cities on Monday due to warnings of Russian "provocations" on routes.

The mayor of Mariupol says the besieged port city is on the verge of catastrophe and must be completely evacuated.

The next round of face-to-face negotiations between Ukraine and Russia take place this week in Turkey.

Old 03-28-22, 01:47 PM   #2714
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-28-22, 03:55 PM   #2715
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Armor is on the way out.

Quote:
American-made Javelin and the British-made NLAW. The past month of fighting had demonstrated that the balance of lethality had shifted away from armor, and toward anti-armor weapons.
I just don't see the feasibility, with the performance of these kind of anti-tank weapons, not to mention drones.

Quote:
as Jed put it, “In Afghanistan, I used to feel jealous of those tankers, buttoned up in all that armor. Not anymore.”