SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-10, 05:10 AM   #2566
Mescator
Soundman

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Have you tried here on SubSim? In the Download area? Seems to work for me...
I had a look there before i posted of course

Could only go back to 08 in the downloads and the thread was around in 07, so i was unable to find it.
Mescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 06:33 AM   #2567
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
Every source I've seen (not just Wikipedia!) quotes a fleetboat range of 'something miles @ 10 knots'.
All patrol reports I've read this far mentions 12 and 15 kts as "standard" speeds - with loads of high speed chases at +17 kts.
At the end of each patrol report is a summary of fuel spent and mileage travelled... Great reads, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescator View Post
I had a look there before i posted of course
There's no such thing as "of course" around here!

Release thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123467

RSRDC_TMO_V502.7z for TMO 1.8/2.0: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1414

RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1459

Having no trouble downloading the files here, so what's happening at your end?
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 06:52 AM   #2568
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
All patrol reports I've read this far mentions 12 and 15 kts as "standard" speeds
I wasn't disputing the standard cruising speed at all.
Just theorising as to why we may have been using the 10 knot figure for so long.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 07:29 AM   #2569
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
I wasn't disputing the standard cruising speed at all.
Just theorising as to why we may have been using the 10 knot figure for so long.
No disputing here neither - just butting in

Forgot the Reports-link: http://wwiiarchives.net/
Old 08-03-10, 07:42 AM   #2570
Mescator
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
There's no such thing as "of course" around here!

Release thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123467

RSRDC_TMO_V502.7z for TMO 1.8/2.0: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1414

RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1459

Having no trouble downloading the files here, so what's happening at your end?
You misunderstand me. I have TMO and RSRD already, they are fine, however the planes act as they do in Stock. The previous link you sent me was to a thread which contained a standalone mod which recreated the TMO Behaviour. This is what i can't download.

Regardless, i've reinstalled so i'll go out on Patrol and check once i finish learning this Radar thing.
Mescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 08:06 AM   #2571
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
No disputing here neither - just butting in
Ok mate, no worries
Thanks for the reports link, I'll do some reading this afternoon.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 10:59 AM   #2572
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescator View Post
You misunderstand me. I have TMO and RSRD already, they are fine, however the planes act as they do in Stock. The previous link you sent me was to a thread which contained a standalone mod which recreated the TMO Behaviour. This is what i can't download.

Regardless, i've reinstalled so i'll go out on Patrol and check once i finish learning this Radar thing.
Ahh! Yes, I'm good at misunderstanding stuff!
That Ducimus' thread was more meant as a guide to what and how to adjust the AI's behaviour.

Happy Hunting!
Old 08-03-10, 11:59 AM   #2573
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Maybe that's not the only reason 10 knots has become the most commonly accepted figure for good fuel efficiency.
Every source I've seen (not just Wikipedia!) quotes a fleetboat range of 'something miles @ 10 knots'.
The mileage varies a little, depending on which source you are looking at, but they all consistently quote the 10 knots figure.
Maybe that's where we got the 10 knots magic number from?

Having said that, I am looking forward to cruising around the PTO with a bit more dash.
Out of interest, what sort of range are we going to be getting at 15 knots?

About commonly accepted figures and sources. Yeah i know. The thing is they are ALL a little too general and a little too vague. As stated elsewhere, the acutal cruising speed ranged from 12 to 15 knots if you look at patrol reports. To give credit where it's due, the changes were inspired by this thread:
http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1620

I just finally got around to , thinking outside the "@ 10 knot box".
Basically here's how i did this.

I made these telegraph changes:
Quote:
AllStop=0.00
AheadSlow=0.25
AheadOneThird=0.50
AheadStandard=0.75
AheadFull=0.90
AheadFlank=1.00
At 2/3rds your doing 10 knots. At standard your doing... 15ish nots, and full your doing 18 knots, and at flank your doing 19 to 20 knots.
Underwater, ahead slow gives you a 2 knot turn, 2/3rds will give you 4 knots, etc etc. It all works out logically, and the speeds seem to be what i've read in various readings.

Now the thing about the range setting in particular. I custom matched the cruising speed according to the top speed of each boat.

For instance, a Gato has a top speed of 20.25 knots.

Ahead standard is 75% of that speed.

So 20.25 * 0.75 = 15.1875

I rounded this number to the nearest tenth. So the acutal range in the submarine sim files will be 15.19 @ 14138.4 .

Which is about what the navigator will report as being your maximum range at current speed when cruising.

The 14138.4 i forgot how i arrived at that, but it involves accounting for the flat map. This flat map makes things about 25% longer in distances then they are in real life.

So each boats cruising speed WILL be different, and they'll be no need to click around the speed dial trying to get it at EXACTLY whatever cruising speed you think is the most economical. I've already done that internally. Just hit ahead standard and off you go. (besides it is humanly impossible to manually set a speed of 15.19 knots. )

I do realize that at 2/3r'ds the navagator is going to report ALOT more range then what you probably should have, but i figure in thise case, if someones going to cheat, then they'll going to cheat. I don't want to curb cruising speed for the "honest" players because of it. Kinda like ubisoft punishing honest players with their stupid DRM.

And i have a hang over. I need more coffee.

EDIT:

BTW, before i forget, here's how the battery fix will work out.

Test results for underwater endurance:
Traveling at 1/3rd bell which equated to 2 knots under water, i covered a distance of 97.3 Nautical miles. I had used 90/100 of my oxygen, and had 11/100 remaining on the battery. (Note how even the battery and O2 usage ratio is)

Battery recharge test results:
- At 0/5 telegraph, it took 4 hours and 27 minutes to recharge the batteries from 11% to 100%.
- At 3/5 telegraph, (15 kts) it took 8 hours recharge from 11% to 100%.
- At 4/4 and 5/5 telegraph, it took 15 hours and 17 minutes to recharge from 11% to 100%.

As an aside, yes, right now if you sit still at an all stop, your batteries will recharge faster. I never realized that until i tested it.

Last edited by Ducimus; 08-03-10 at 12:22 PM.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 12:38 PM   #2574
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
And it will depend on waves. If you ask your navigator for max range, it'll drop dramatically if you're in 15 m/s waves.
yup i know. Your talking to a guy who had this as a forum sig SH3 and drove type 9's exclusively.

Quote:
Usually "we" here on the Silversides set cruising speed depending on weather.
2/3r'ds telegraph is a viable option. That will bring you down to 10 knots, and you'll have an assload of range reported by the navigator. That's the "cheatin" part to this adjustment, but in context of rough weather... not really cheating i suppose.
Old 08-03-10, 02:57 PM   #2575
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Granted you could get more range by going at 10 knots, but since fleet boats cruised faster then 10 knots, and the pacific is the worlds largest ocean, 10 knots sucks balls, quite frankly.

10 kts/hr is the normal in-port speed so your wake doesn't damage moored boats. It always seemed a little slow for patroling. Ducimus is right - the Pacific is a BIG ocean.
Old 08-04-10, 01:11 PM   #2576
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I finally got around to writing a change log. No version number yet, nothing's being released for awhile yet, and it will probably see more changes, I'm working on conjunction with Captain America, and the only reason i started, was so i'd be ready to go when hes done with his interiors. As usual however, i got carried away in my preparatory work. No ETA on him either. He's working at his own pace, and he can take as long as he wants as far as im concerned.

Quote:

//JP airpower changes
- adjusted planes so they don't crash in the ocean when attacking

- Adjusted crew numbers and survival chances.

- changed basic loadout to include bombs/depthcharges as applicable.

- altered visual sensors to disallow underwater detection for most units until october 1944

- Visual sensor that allows underwate detection changed to that of a psuedo MAD. Comes into play in october 1944, and only on planes that would have had MAD.

- changed air traffic spawning frequency. You should now see the fewest planes in the beginning of the war, with more planes spawning in the later war years as Japan steps up its ASW effort. (previously I had it where you saw the most planes at the beginning of the war and the fewest in later years, the premise being to illustrate japans loss of air assets). In both early and late war years you should see substantially less air then in stock.

- changed airbase compositions.
* Large airbases spawn: betty's, Mavis's, Emily's,kates, Lorna's, and Pete's.
* Normal Airbases spawn: Mavis's, emily's, and pete's
* Small airbases spawn: pete's, zero's, and Lorna's

End result is you'll see mostly flying boats, and rarely, maybe never, any zero's.

- Recolored aircraft bomb textures from rusty to gray.

- AirS, and AirB visual sensors surface factor set to 0.

- Created MAD_Visual with surface factor set to -2.5

// Player crew
- Increased variation of possible clothing. I removed the officer shorts from normal wear, and also brought back some long sleeve shirts.

- watch crew will be wearing wet weather head gear more often when it rains now.

- AA and deck gun crews now wear M1 helmet. Also Cleaned up M1 helmet.

- Diving officer of 3rd watch now comes with a vital skill as part of the fix to battery recharge times. DO NOT LOSE HIM, or place him anywhere he might get killed. I also increased his hitpoints to 500, just in case.

// Player Sub

- Pretty sure i fixed issue with SJ radar not working correctly after getting a refit from the 1st early war conning tower, to the 2nd conning tower. This bug effected the Porpoise, salmon, and sargo.

- Changed forward telegraph settings for all boats to be more true to life.
* Ahead 1/3rd is 25% of your engines
* Ahead 2/3rds is 50% of your engines
* Ahead standard is 75%
* Ahead Full is 90%
* Ahead Flank is 100% (Extreme speed ahead anyone?)

- Fixed long recharge times and underwater endurance for fleet boats.
* Traveling at 1/3rd bell which equated to 2 knots under water, a distance of 97.3 Nautical miles is possible, but you'll have used 90% of your oxygen, have 11% remaining on your battery.

* Battery recharge times will vary according to your speed. From all top to 2/3rds it will take roughly 4.5 hours to recharge your batteries. From ahead standard, 8 hours, and from ahead full to ahead flank, 15 and a half hours.

- Increased cruising speed for all fleet boats. Cruising speed now varies by boat type, and is 75% of the boats top speed. (telegraph setting is ahead standard, you do NOT need to try and get the exact speed yourself, the game will do that for you).

* Narwhal now cruises at 12.75 knots
* Porpoise now cruises at 13.5 knots
* Salmon now cruises at 12.75 knots
* Sargo now cruises at 15 knots.
* Tambor/Gar now cruises at 15 knots.
* Gato, Balao, and Tench now cruises at 15.19 knots

No longer do you have to cruise around the worlds largest oceans at what's tantamount to a harbor speed, though you can if you want.

- Fixed visual effect for exahust on fleet boats.

- Fixed sound played by 20MM and 40MM AA guns. They no longer share the same sound.

- Removed "Hogans alley", and added "After battery" to the normal watch rotation. This area serves the same purpose, it's just moved to a different location. Dials will no longer obscure AA gun access at lower resolution. Lower resolution players will however experience some overlap in watch rotations in the crew screen. All crewmembers remain accessible regardless of monitor resolution.

- Moved After battery from the engine room, to the "After battery" compartment.

//Environmental changes

- decreased water transparency.
- increased underwater fog.

// Campaign changes
- Fixed truk harbor lag.

- Fixed naval mines by adding a collesion sphere. (where as before, you had to practiclly drive your boat right through it before it would explode)

- Fixed pearl harbor "In harbor' starting location. You now start where the sub base acutally was, because theirs a sub base there now. No more hooking that big U turn leaving port.
Old 08-04-10, 09:22 PM   #2577
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281

Ducimus - have you considered reducing the crew numbers for the torpedo rooms? Based on the ship rosters I've seen (and I think Luke found the same thing) there were generally about six sailors assigned to each compartment.

Just wondering. Can't wait for the updated release - glad you are still tinkering.

PS: And thank you for fixing the speed settings.
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 09:39 PM   #2578
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualpender View Post
Ducimus - have you considered reducing the crew numbers for the torpedo rooms?
Yeah I have, but only for the purpose of using those crewman elsewhere. (I'd like to keep the crew at around 80 ) If i could, id put in a forward battery compartment, manuevering room, and radio room along with the after battery.

But I can't. Well... i could.. but I can't because i'm keeping compatibilty with lower resolution settings in mind. If I put in everything that i wanted, id have a whole lot of funky things going on in the crew config screen at the lowest resolution. Truncation, overlapping, that sort of thing. If everyone used the highest resolution, or had wide screen monitors this wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The core cause of this is the way the UI is layed out.

The area on the left is what the showstopper is, It has to go somewhere. I don't know how, but i suppose if it could be made to be flush with the top of the character info in the middle, it would be a great help.

But then there's still this screen to deal with:

Not sure how that could be handled, though i think there is some room there to be used judging by the icon spacing. Then again, this screen is at max resolution at a 4:3 ratio.

The UI is a little bit on the poor side in design when one considers adding correct compartments.
Old 08-05-10, 06:17 PM   #2579
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

In other news, i finally figured out how to create normal/bump maps in GIMP. Since the player subs can have that, but don't... that's my current project. I've already done the Gato, Tambor and Gar's hull. Doing the hulls first, then the conning towers. Textures won't look as flat anymore. Not exactly as spiffy as 3d modeling, but it's an improvement, and come to find it, its fairly easy to do!
Old 08-06-10, 03:01 AM   #2580
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Can yooouuuuuuuu tell the difference?!

Large pics:

Gar class submarine

MS09 without normal map:
MS02 WITH Normal Map:
MS32 without normal map:
MS32 WITH normal map:

I can tell, i think its obvious, but im a little freaking lite right now. so maybe im waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy out in space somewhere and there isnt any difference at all. Anywho, i think there's a big differece. Unfortuantly, it doesnt look like i can apply normal maps to conning towers or guns. BAH.