Closed Thread

Old 03-16-22, 10:09 AM   #2311
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
“How did he miscalculate so badly”, are they kidding? It’s an interesting take alright when some are already talking like it’s over when Russian troops are still in Ukraine. From what I’m seeing things are far from over and appear to still be escalating.

Let’s keep on mind Putin did make it very clear he had considered all possibilities and was prepared for them. Not only do I think that referred to the use of WMD but sanctions as well.
Politically and regarding politicla and military reputation, its a Russian total defeat already now.

Militarily they cannot acchieve their claimed objectives. What they can do instead is to destroy targets that are defenceless - civilians, and civilian housing. Destroying what they cannot conquer and keep.

Scorched Earth policies.

Still, I cannot see them maintaining this endlessly, not with their logistical performance seen so far. And their supply situation can only get worse, not better.

Then their offensive must come to a full stop. And then they sit in the middle of a hostile country where they get fired upon from all directions at any time, all time long.

What did the Ukrainian commander in chief Salushny say before the invasion when asked what the Russians await in the Ukraine if they would invade? - "Welcome to hell". Ukraine says the Russians have - according to Ukrainian estimations - lost 40% of their units. That does not mean 40% of troops killed, it means that 40% of their units are no longer existent as combat-capable cohesive formations.

Lets keep them in good supply of ATGMs and MANPADs. No Ukrainian unit should save a single shot just because it has no more shots left.
Old 03-16-22, 10:24 AM   #2312
Skybird
Soaring

Negotiations between Ukraine and Russia on ending the war are apparently becoming more concrete. Documents are being drawn up for possible direct talks between Head of State Voloymyr Selenskyy and Russian President Vladimir Putin, Russian state agency Ria Novosti quoted Ukrainian presidential adviser Mychaylo Podolyak as saying in an interview with U.S. broadcaster PBS on Wednesday.

"The only way to end this war is direct talks between the two presidents. That is what we are working on in these negotiations," Podolyak reportedly said. Currently, he said, these documents are being drafted, which the heads of state can then agree on and sign. "This could happen soon."

Selenskyj had repeatedly offered to meet with Putin, but Moscow always responded with extreme reluctance.

According to the Financial Times newspaper, both sides are working on a 15-point plan. First and foremost are the neutrality and demilitarization of Ukraine demanded by Russia and the withdrawal of Russian troops demanded by Kiev. Territorial disputes were to be discussed later, according to the plan.

This agreement would mean that Kiev would abandon its NATO accession plans and thus also renounce maintaining foreign military bases in the country. Russian as well as Ukrainian negotiators had elicited such an agreement in full for the first time on Monday

FOCUS - Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

------------------

According to the Hamburg legal scholar Otto Luchterhandt, the Russian army is committing genocide with the way it waged war against the port city of Mariupol. This was reported by Berlin's "Tagesspiegel" on Wednesday, citing a corresponding expert opinion. Russian President Vladimir Putin, Defense Minister Sergei Shoygu and Chief of the General Staff Valery Gerasimov "belong before the International Criminal Court in The Hague," the expert demands.

According to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court, they are perpetrators of crimes against humanity, war crimes, and crimes of aggression, "but also of the most serious crime known to international criminal law since 1948 - genocide," Luchterhandt said.

The legal scholar judged on the basis of six criteria of the UN Anti-genocide Convention. With the action to encircle and destroy the major city in eastern Ukraine, "the objective facts of the crime of genocide on the part of Russia's armed forces were fulfilled."

The jurist also considers the "subjective elements of the crime," the intention to destroy a population group, to be proven. The Russian army acted with "genocidal destructive intent" against "the citizenry of the city in its entirety" and not only against individual citizens who happen to be victims.

Proving genocidal intent "has long been considered an Achilles heel" in the practice of jurisprudence, he noted. International jurisprudence on ethnic cleansing in the Bosnian war has fleshed out the legal criteria for proving intent, he said.

Accordingly, they apply to the situation in Mariupol. "The situation of the citizens trapped in the destroyed, wintry Mariupol, cut off from the supply of essential, subsistence goods, temporarily vegetating in basements of ruins without electricity, water and heating, and exposed to constant shelling for weeks, is the proverbial 'hell' according to all the news leaking out of the city."

FOCUS - Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Old 03-16-22, 10:28 AM   #2313
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Russia's state TV hit by stream of resignations

When Marina Ovsyannikova burst into Russian living rooms on Monday's nightly news, denouncing the war in Ukraine and propaganda around it, her protest highlighted a quiet but steady stream of resignations from Russia's tightly controlled state-run TV.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60763494

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 03-16-22, 10:57 AM   #2314
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Russia's state TV hit by stream of resignations

When Marina Ovsyannikova burst into Russian living rooms on Monday's nightly news, denouncing the war in Ukraine and propaganda around it, her protest highlighted a quiet but steady stream of resignations from Russia's tightly controlled state-run TV.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60763494

It has been reported that Marina Ovsyannikova has been fined the equivalent of £215 for her actions. Her release from incarceration was on the news yesterday. Marina reported she had been interrogated for 14 hours after her actions. Marina is one brave lady for her opposition to this stupid incursion into the Ukraine. Apparently, Marina feels a sense of obligation to journalism and reporting things accurately.

To be honest, when Marina was picked up by Putin's henchmen, I never thought to see her again. I was very happy to see she was physically alright.
Old 03-16-22, 10:57 AM   #2315
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

!!?? So I read Skybirds latest comment about the positive process in the ongoing negotiation between Ukraine and Russia.

Then I got a link and read this Ca 30 minutes ago-Makes one wonder if the right hand know what their left hand is doing.

Quote:
President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday that Russia would achieve its goals in Ukraine and would not submit to what he called a Western attempt to achieve global dominance and dismember Russia.
https://www.reuters.com/world/putin-...il-2022-03-16/

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 03-16-22, 11:09 AM   #2316
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It has been reported that Marina Ovsyannikova has been fined the equivalent of £215 for her actions. Her release from incarceration was on the news yesterday. Marina reported she had been interrogated for 14 hours after her actions. Marina is one brave lady for her opposition to this stupid incursion into the Ukraine. Apparently, Marina feels a sense of obligation to journalism and reporting things accurately.

To be honest, when Marina was picked up by Putin's henchmen, I never thought to see her again. I was very happy to see she was physically alright.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=2255

Jimbuna is online  
Old 03-16-22, 11:21 AM   #2317
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=2263
You are too early there. That fine is just for calling to demonstrate in another video that she prepared separately in social media.

State attorney still "considers" whether or not to sue her by that new media law for using the word "war" which is under ban in the USSR now (also, you are not allowed to mention "aggression" and "invasion" in context with the Ukraine war. The law fully affects foreigners/visitors in the country as well, including correspondents). And for that she can get a maximum penalty of 15 years in labour camp.

Her only hope is that they want to play down the affair and not attract further attention to it. If they decide instead for executing an example, she is done.
Old 03-16-22, 11:28 AM   #2318
Skybird
Soaring

From low to lower: it gets reported that then Russians have taken hostage a hospital in Mariupol, hold 400 patients and doctors as hostage there, next installed artillery on the hospital campus and started shelling from there. Any Ukrainian counter battery fire would hit the hospital as well.

If true, this scum hides behind patients, civilians, doctors now. Like the Hamas did in the Lebanon war when it hindered civilians with weapons to escape into safety and hid behind them.
Old 03-16-22, 11:31 AM   #2319
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
From low to lower: it gets reported that then Russians have taken hostage a hospital in Mariupol, hold 400 patients and doctors as hostage there, next installed artillery on the hospital campus and started shelling form there. And Ukrainian counter battery fire would hit the hospital as well.

If true, this scum hides behind patients, civilians, doctors now. Like the Hamas did in the Lebanon war when it hindered civilians with weapons to escape into safety and hid behind them.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=2306

Jimbuna is online  
Old 03-16-22, 11:48 AM   #2320
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
The point is they seem to have turned the hospital campus into an artillery site to evade Ukrainian counter battery fire.
Old 03-16-22, 11:52 AM   #2321
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:

Didn't see that. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=2263
You are too early there. That fine is just for calling to demonstrate in another video that she prepared separately in social media.

State attorney still "considers" whether or not to sue her by that new media law for using the word "war" which is under ban in the USSR now (also, you are not allowed to mention "aggression" and "invasion" in context with the Ukraine war. The law fully affects foreigners/visitors in the country as well, including correspondents). And for that she can get a maximum penalty of 15 years in labour camp.

Her only hope is that they want to play down the affair and not attract further attention to it. If they decide instead for executing an example, she is done.

I agree with your assessment . I hope that doesn't happen either.
Old 03-16-22, 11:53 AM   #2322
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Now there will be peace in Ukraine

Quote:
"The Russian Federation shall immediately suspend the military operations that it commenced on Feb 24, 2022 on the territory of Ukraine," judges at the United Nations' highest court said in a 13-2 decision
(And of course Putin will right as I write this-give order to ceasefire......NOT)

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...se-2022-03-16/

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 03-16-22, 12:17 PM   #2323
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

There are no military operations! That's a false news story!
The building fell down by themselves! There are no troops in Ukraine!
It's a humanitarian exercise. Nazi's!

Take your pick.

Fact is the Russian forces are getting their arses handed to them an a way that makes their Afghanistan episode look like a massive success!
Old 03-16-22, 12:23 PM   #2324
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Take a step back, take a deep breath, clear your mind

What's Really Happening? Ukraine Fog of War

Old 03-16-22, 12:26 PM   #2325
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Didn't see that. My bad.
Not a problem matey...was meant tongue-in-cheek anyway

Jimbuna is online  
Closed Thread