SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-28-14, 04:33 PM   #2221
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonschk View Post
Hello TheDarkWraith , please can you suggest me an example path for me to open with your GR2 Editor/Viewer ? LNK@ paths ? , with my poor knowledge about this, at the moment I am not able to open anything, thank you
Any sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
In other words, does it works likewise dat format files, where mesh position follows node position?
No. The bone bindings (bones) are controlling (actually providing an offset) where the bounding box is positioned on the mesh. I'm not sure how bounding boxes and DMG_col nodes go together (if at all) Actually I'm not sure of the purpose of the bounding boxes at all.

Someone should try editing the bounding box for something and make it really small and located way above the object and see if it effects whether the object gets collided with (via a shell/another object).
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 07:47 PM   #2222
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Fixed the code to account for this new discovery I made. Now the bounding boxes and bounding spheres are part of the bone binding class.

Accounting for the bone binding's bone's position now renders the bounding box in the correct position in 3D space:

Looks just like Granny Viewer Gotta love it...

Moving the bone binding's bone's position also moves the bounding box associated with it.

Also fixed a problem I found when you move individual vertices of a mesh using the mouse.
Old 01-28-14, 08:03 PM   #2223
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.1.424.1. released. See post #1

- Fixed problem when moving individual vertices of a mesh with the mouse
- Started coding in new Feature: File-->Clean. This will clean the GR2 file of unneeded entries and objects. Currently only removes 'filler' found between embedded strings. I would strongly suggest only using this right after you load a file. If the 'cleaner' encounters an exception and it has modified the file then it will close the file to protect it (thus you lose everything if you didn't save it before).
- Fixed problem in renderer where it was using the incorrect shininess strength value
- Adjusted code to account for discovery made of how bounding boxes are controlled via bone binding's bone (they provide an offset)
- Added code for any lights defined to be rendered in 3D space. You can render the light's position and it's name. Selecting the light in the lights treeview will cause the rendered 'spot' to double in size. Selecting the same light again in the lights treeview will render the 'spot' normal size. This makes it easy to find the light. You can also set the render color for the lights.
- Enhanced the importers so that if they encounter a Ks value > 1.0 in the MTL file then they will scale it to 0.0-1.0 range (so it's compatible with Granny) - this fixes the problem gap was having with the barrage balloon
Old 01-29-14, 03:36 AM   #2224
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0

Hi there, I try to open any sub but I cannot figure out how to open

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Any sub

tonschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-14, 10:27 PM   #2225
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Hi there, I try to open any sub but I cannot figure out how to open
You need to set the install path to your \Silent Hunter 5 folder.
Now all you need to do is click File-->Open and select the GR2 file you want to open

v1.1.427.1 released. See post #1

Fixed rendering problem with some units (a part or parts of the unit would not render)
Did some optimizations to make the loading/saving faster
Old 01-29-14, 11:55 PM   #2226
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v.1.1.428.1 released. See post #1

More optimizations done to make the loading process faster
Optimizations done to make the moving/rotation of a mesh or moving of it's vertices faster
Fixed rendering problem with the bounding spheres (they were rendering in incorrect positions)
Old 01-30-14, 02:21 AM   #2227
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
v1.1.424.1. released.
Quote:
v1.1.427.1 released.
Quote:
v.1.1.428.1 released.
Sorry for not reporting lately, I have been quite busy during the last few days, and thank you for your great work.

Maybe this is a banal question, but seeing how fast you are progressing with your application, I wonder how far are we from the possibility to add new meshes to a granny file (or delete them), as you mentioned in another thread. Together with animations, that is probably one of the most important features needed for creating 'complex' units, i.e. composed by many independent parts, without having to carefully select the GR2 template that we start importing our meshes in
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 03:30 AM   #2228
tonschk
Admiral

Quote:
and thank you for your great work.
Old 01-30-14, 07:19 AM   #2229
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Maybe this is a banal question, but seeing how fast you are progressing with your application, I wonder how far are we from the possibility to add new meshes to a granny file (or delete them), as you mentioned in another thread. Together with animations, that is probably one of the most important features needed for creating 'complex' units, i.e. composed by many independent parts, without having to carefully select the GR2 template that we start importing our meshes in
In time it will come
Old 01-31-14, 05:31 PM   #2230
tonschk
Admiral

Thank you for the help, finally I was able to load something, when I try to close the application, the viewer ask me if I want to save the modification made by the viewer itself to be able to open the GR2 file (I didnt do anything)

Quote:
You need to set the install path to your \Silent Hunter 5 folder.
Now all you need to do is click File-->Open and select the GR2 file you want to open

Old 01-31-14, 05:50 PM   #2231
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thank you for the help, finally I was able to load something, when I try to close the application, the viewer ask me if I want to save the modification made by the viewer itself to be able to open the GR2 file (I didnt do anything)
You said yes to add missing embedded strings. That is why it's asking if you want to save the changes.
Old 02-01-14, 08:23 AM   #2232
tonschk
Admiral

Are those "missing embedded strings" modifications gonna negatively or positively affect the SH5 simulator if I click "yes save changes" ?, thank you for your help

Quote:
You said yes to add missing embedded strings. That is why it's asking if you want to save the changes.
Old 02-01-14, 08:42 PM   #2233
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Are those "missing embedded strings" modifications gonna negatively or positively affect the SH5 simulator if I click "yes save changes" ?, thank you for your help
Neither. If you start modifying the file then you will need them.

Fixed the texture coordinate rendering problem I found when rendering gap's barrage balloon's uvs. All his uvs were in the range of 0.0-1.0 but the app still tiled them 2X2. What I changed was where the app was getting the uvs from. Before I was taking them straight from the mesh. I found that when dumping the DirectX internal data structures it 'optimizes' the uvs and other data so they are not 'original' anymore. Now the app takes the uv data from the vertices in the mesh's PrimaryVertexData class.

Also did some more optimizations on the loading to decrease the loading time even further. I'll never attain Granny Viewer speed but every little bit helps

Also fixed problem of bounding box(s) not being recomputed when importing
Old 02-02-14, 02:41 AM   #2234
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Fixed the texture coordinate rendering problem I found when rendering gap's barrage balloon's uvs.

Also did some more optimizations on the loading to decrease the loading time even further. I'll never attain Granny Viewer speed but every little bit helps

Have you looked into why, once imported with your application, the baloon gets so many 'redundand' vertices? Looking in its UV map, I have spotted a few unwelded vertices which can be optimized before importing, but they evidently can't be the one reason for the many tangents/binormals displayed by your application for each vertex.

Useless to say that the lesser the vertices, the smaller the file size (on disc and in memory), the smoother the rendering of units in game

P.S: what is the exact meaning of the 'calculate' button in the meshes tab? IIRC, it says something about normals, but clicking on it does nothing apparently...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 05:21 AM   #2235
tonschk
Admiral

Every little bit helps

Quote: