Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-20, 09:31 PM   #2086
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
That is usualy the case. Here I am told it is an educated guess and the seasonal flu vaccines (which seniors like myself get free) usually cover the three most likely strains that the experts feel will be present.

Same here in the US; flu shots for seniors are free and the vaccines are base on "best guesses"; there were a couple of years where the strain that did come around weren't on the "best guesses" list, but, fortunately, I didn't get the flu in those years...

Part of the problem with virus vaccines is the fact a lot of viruses do mutate very quickly and it is hard to determine what, if any, formulation will be effective. There is also the fact viruses are the Schrodinger's Cat of infections: they aren't self-viable whole life-forms and they are fully chemical, so they are neither alive or inert and they adapt and mutate so quickly and unpredictably, just when you've got a fix on one strain, its already moved on to another variant; its kind of like trying to pick up mercury with tweezers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Buddahaid and vienna and Aktung could be in this for a long time:

MARCH 19, 2020

CALIFORNIA ISSUES ORDERS FOR RESIDENTS TO STAY HOME

https://www.laweekly.com/california-...all-residents/

The California Governor, Gavin Newsom, has all along been warning the lock-down could be quite lengthy, so its not really big news for us in CA. I don't know about up north, but down here in the south, people seem to, for the most part, be adapting to the new 'real'. As the days have gone by, a sort of organic template seems to have developed for handling the inconveniences and restrictions and I don't think an extension of a lock down will be any different to us now...

I've got to say one thing: Newsom has been a bit of a pleasant surprise; I really didn't expect much of him, but he has been very forthcoming with plain, simple facts, the good and the bad, not filtered through personal or party politics and has been very reassuring for the citizens of the state. I watched his daily Covid-19 briefings and each has been very detailed about the state of the crisis and the efforts being taken to deal with it. He's earning a lot of points for himself without making himself the point...

The same goes for the Mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti, who has taken a similar approach of just plain facts and no filter in his own daily briefings regarding LA's conditions and efforts. I didn't think much of him before, but now I have more respect for him, too...

There is something reassuring about just being told the straight truth in times of uncertainty...

I have been wondering about one thing: I have mentioned before I was laid out with some severe illness that lasted about a month or more just at the start of the year and I recall someone else making reference to some similar lengthy illness as well. My case felt like neither a flu or a cold but seemed to be akin to both and, yet, not the same as either; I wonder if I might not have had a case of the virus back then...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 03-30-20 at 06:21 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-20, 09:36 PM   #2087
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearwater View Post
Something that might be of interest for everyone around here:

I had myself tested yesterday, and it turns out I am positive (i.e. I have the virus).

Basically the only symptom I have was that I lost my sense of smell for a couple of days

This was last Sunday, it's coming back now. It doesn't feel at all like when you can't smell because of a cold, since my nose is completely unobstructed. There was also a slight tingling sensation in and around the nose. Apart from that, I'm feeling fine. I've read that this is not unusual for relatively mild cases.

So - if you're feeling like this, you might want to get tested, if not for yourself, then for those around you.

Stay safe and healthy, and all the best

I saw your post after making my last post...

I also wish you the best in dealing with the virus and hope you make a full recovery. Do you have any idea where you may have come in contact with the virus?...

Again, take care and follow doctor's orders...

<O>
Old 03-30-20, 03:24 AM   #2088
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Sorry to post two of these vids if it offends.
Beau is very hard to pin down, so it makes it tough to trust what he says.
I trust the guy maybe 51%, he's let me down in the past (I'm not into anarchy or social re-alignments).
He just knows how to flesh out a topic.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 05:27 AM   #2089
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Your the first member to contract the virus
That is not certain at all. We all do not know whether we have it or had it. Even ifwe tested negatively, we could hjave gotten it after the test date.

We all must consider ourselves as "compromised".

Hence, the masks.
Old 03-30-20, 06:05 AM   #2090
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Another day, another 20 percent growth in reported cases in Russia, most of those in Moscow. Still on that doubling every 4 days trajectory.
Old 03-30-20, 07:46 AM   #2091
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Prince Charles 'in good health' and out of self-isolation.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to go into quarantine after a close aide tested positive for coronavirus.

Spain's Foreign Minister, Arancha González, has told the BBC the country's latest national figures show the virus’s upwards curve appears to be flattening out.
The Spanish authorities have confirmed 6,398 more cases of coronavirus. This brings the total to 85,195 - higher than that of China, where the outbreak began.
Another 812 deaths have also been reported. The national total now stands at 7,340, making Spain the worst-affected country in the world behind Italy.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 09:28 AM   #2092
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

https://translate.google.ru/translat...2Fnews%2F63084

Big conference of regional executive branch people with Putin, you can see where the wind is blowing from here. To sum it up - the idea is to flatten the curve and to support the regular people through those measures.
Old 03-30-20, 09:40 AM   #2093
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

World Useless Organization once again displayed its uselessness by claiming again Covid-19 cannot be transmitted via air, and 1m social distancing being enough. Well, they are really worth for nothing, arent they. The MIT meanwhile reports this: it has found that "viral droplets expelled in coughs and sneezes can travel in a moist, warm atmosphere at speeds of 10-30 meters per second, creating a cloud that can span approximately 8-10 meters".

They also warn of droplets hanging in and floating around in the air for hours.

You know what I say now, guys, don't you.

Wear your f###ing face masks!!!

especially when entering closed rooms like supermarkets, offices. Czech Republic since 10 days or so has a law demanding you must wear a face mask when moving in public spaces. Austria has ruled that froim Wednesday on you must wear a face masks when wantign to enter a supermarket. 2 bn Asians are wondering why Westerners are too stupid and too dumb to wear face masks.

I go even further again and say you should not feel save even when walking on the street behind somebody else who is 10 or 15 meters ahead of you. In a few seconds you will pass through the space he has just walked through and breathed out into, and you then inhale that aerosole he has exhaled. The windier the weather, the better for you, the less wind and the more stale the air stands in the streets, the higher the risk. Man, this is plain thinking, this is healthy reason, why must such obvious, self-explanatory things even be explained or debated about...? And if you talk to somebody, you want the wind not in your face, but in your rear, at least from the side - but not in your face.

This episode has good information on how to sterilize a used face mask. I now, its not not poerfect to even consider that, but the time saare not poefretc either and N95 and FFP masks are in sort supply and very expebnsive currently. We need to work with what is avialable, and we want to make it lasting as long as possible. Pefections we can have on an other day. Not now.

"Letting the mask cooling down in sunlight for some days" - the video says 9 days, but if the virus lasts on steel and plastic for just 3-4 days, and on cardbox for 24 hours, I do not see why it should last 9 days in and on a N95 or FFP2/3 filter material.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-30-20 at 10:16 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 10:06 AM   #2094
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-30-20, 11:24 AM   #2095
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

President Trump says a new, rapid test will come out next week.

Study suggests 59,000 lives have been saved across 11 European countries due to government curbs.

The Hungarian government has been granted the power to rule by decree, prompting an outcry from human rights groups.

New dates for the Tokyo Olympics have been announced: 23 July to 8 August 2021.

In the UK, some 20,000 former NHS staff have returned to work.

There are now more than 730,000 infections globally and almost 35,000 deaths.

Old 03-30-20, 01:43 PM   #2096
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

There are now more than 730,000 infections globally and almost 35,000 deaths.
So given that death rate.
Say there are 7.5 Billion people on Earth and we should expect 1+ billion to die.

Given that things go from bad to worse looting and roaming Gangs start?
That number could easily triple. If not higher.
Jeff-Groves is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 02:06 PM   #2097
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
So given that death rate.
Say there are 7.5 Billion people on Earth and we should expect 1+ billion to die.

Given that things go from bad to worse looting and roaming Gangs start?
That number could easily triple. If not higher.
I might soon be coming over to Ohio because all I have is a baseball bat and a samurai sword

Old 03-30-20, 02:11 PM   #2098
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I might soon be coming over to Ohio because all I have is a baseball bat and a samurai sword
Where's your narwhal tusk?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 02:25 PM   #2099
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

1. Trump expect up to x-millions American will die from this Corona virus-the expert disagree.

2. Here in Denmark they are not only going to expand the test on people, they will also start testing people to see if these have developed anti-something and if so they can return to work.
(I'm not a doctor, so I don't know what that mean)

Someone said:
There are citizens who have some kind of immunity against Corona.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-20, 02:41 PM   #2100
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Where's your narwhal tusk?
I left that on London Bridge.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan