SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-20, 10:04 AM   #2011
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Liked the comment about politician's world wide.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 10:09 AM   #2012
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Where do you get your info from? On worldometers, Russia seems to have a low # of cases, so far. Has Moscow started talking about lockdown?

Yes, only 1264 cases reporting but 817 of those are in Moscow are we have seen +228 cases today (out of 1264 cases) so we are looking at the begining of the rapid growth phase most likely now that the infection spreads within Russia rather than being delivered here from elsewhere. The real figures may also be higher due to the finite testing, as it is elsewhere.

There is a soft self isolation order for the vulnerable groups (ie elderly), there is a mandatory 7 day holiday with calls to stay at home during it. Major parks, shopping centers etc are closed down, only important places are still open ie groceries and pharmacies. There is a discussion for complete lock down of the inter city travel and such but none of those measures were implimented yet.
Old 03-28-20, 10:28 AM   #2013
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Maybe so but you don't get situations like in Italy and Spain where the hospitals are being extremely overtaxed in such a short span of time with the seasonal flu viruses we normally deal with. I hope you're right but I seriously doubt it.

Remember those are our numbers not Italy or Spain's. There are many differences between our cultures that will (hopefully) contribute to different results, most of which have already been mentioned here.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 10:30 AM   #2014
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 10:32 AM   #2015
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Reece is the expert on farting matters.

Over to Reece...

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-28-20, 10:34 AM   #2016
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I thought that chemical weapons were illegal?
Old 03-28-20, 10:36 AM   #2017
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
I thought that chemical weapons were illegal?
Reece has a special licence.

Old 03-28-20, 10:42 AM   #2018
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Russia I see as one of those countries in this Corona crisis whose official numbers are not worth the paper they are printed on. Putin terribly failed this time, comign to late to start, and having announced too short a lock down (from what i recall from two dys ago).

I think Moscow is running the Swedish course, enforcing fast herd-immunity by struict infeciton no matter the price to be paid by population.

But maybe I am wrong and Russian are just tougher than this virus. BTW, Vodka is not sufficient for desinfecting from Corona virus, its alcohol is not high enough. You need 65 or 70% minimum, the Vodka on the shelves here in Germany usually has around 37.5 to 49.5%, some of these brands being direct imports.
Old 03-28-20, 10:59 AM   #2019
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Hey! Stop bad mouthing Russia they must be doing something right

They only have four (4) reported dead from Covid-19
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 11:14 AM   #2020
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
That nurse and many others since many years and all their job life make the experience that their working cinditons get cut bACK, that they are not beign cared for, are expected to function in the background silently, are invisble, are beign underpayed and polticians make big shows and get greta incomes form havign tlak show after talkshow about how their situation must improve and that more staff shoukld be sent in and that wages should be risen to even standard levels. And year after year, nothign happens and thign sget worse and worse and worse instead.

You ar wrong. Many people unite on their balconies because they are about their own mood and self-perception, it gives THEM a good feeling and they feel morally lifted. For the staff fighting at the friont in hipsitals under in parts already unimaginable conditions, this does NOTHING.

You ant to show your appreciation? Do not forget them once again. Do not tlak well about a terribly bright down heakth system (like some weeks ago you would not beleive that the NHS comoares bad in international comparison), but mailbomb your politicians, vote only for those who indeed get their payments up sifngicantly, who indeed stop the drianing of institutions,.

But stop just clapping your hands. That is the cheapest and most cost-reducing measurement, yes. And it makes nio difference.

Dont oyu find it cyncial yourself that you applaude those you send intot heir self-sacriice while they march into the arena day after day? This is not the Hunger Games. This is real.

Today I saw a video from the Netherlands, one team of hostial staff outside an isolated station apllauded their collegaues on the aoher side of the shielding, and sang You never wlk alone" fo them. that si something difefrent. that is one team in hospital cheering up another team in hosptial, people they know, people whose miserbale working cidnitons thy share, and with whom they sit in the same boat.

If you know care workers in your social vicinity, give them presents, money, anything that really maks a difference. A food basket if they have no time to care for their own household. And do not dare to let thme down again once this is over, by not caring if politicians do not put their deeds where their mouths were. Applauding heroes and workers and icons of social engagement potlicians do all the time, becasue it costs no oeny and allows them to get away with just staging a show. The big charm of this trick is: it costs no money.

And if you cared for those doing their jobs now and forced that thei situaiton really impoves susbtantiall y- then you have th eright next time desaster strikes to applaude them and sing songs for them. Until then, its just about your own well-feeling.

No, I veto what you say. Mybe becasue I got a little insight, a brief short glance into the hosital world myself long time agai, and already then the staff situation and underpaykment was bad. Thats twenty years ago and more and the situation has constantly declined since then. Many nurses at the end of their job life, end in poverty, as social wellfare receivers.
I'll say this.....The world you live in and how you perceive it is certainly different to mine and much of my perception is based on nearly two decades of occasionally finding myself in harms way and not having an easy option out. Many is the time my loved ones knowing via news feed would pray I'd return home at the end of a shift and that memory alone makes me grateful for what other folk do to protect us via any means possible.

I for one am proud of my past and have never allowed myself to become bitter and twisted or blinkered for that matter.

You obviously have the right to reply but being the moderator here abouts I am informing you that should you decide to reply then that will be the end of the matter and I will not be replying further.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 11:41 AM   #2021
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Remember those are our numbers not Italy or Spain's. There are many differences between our cultures that will (hopefully) contribute to different results, most of which have already been mentioned here.
I'm not forgetting, I am however working in three hospitals and looking at measures being implemented and considered. I know what looks normal during a typical flu season and what he have now is far from normal.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 11:51 AM   #2022
Skybird
Soaring

Buddahaid, I did not know that you are working in hospitals. You have two hellish years ahead or yourself, first the Corona tsunami, and when that is done one day, all the regular medical cases that need to be worked down on the list that has now been delayed and cancelled.

Take care of yourself as best as possible. Good, good luck to you.
Old 03-28-20, 11:55 AM   #2023
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'll say this.....The world you live in and how you perceive it is certainly different to mine and much of my perception is based on nearly two decades of occasionally finding myself in harms way and not having an easy option out. Many is the time my loved ones knowing via news feed would pray I'd return home at the end of a shift and that memory alone makes me grateful for what other folk do to protect us via any means possible.

I for one am proud of my past and have never allowed myself to become bitter and twisted or blinkered for that matter.

You obviously have the right to reply but being the moderator here abouts I am informing you that should you decide to reply then that will be the end of the matter and I will not be replying further.
We must strictly disagree on this then. So be it. As a policeman you had your biography, and that nurse had her biography as a nurse. As far as I am concerned regarding you, beside the momentary fireball, no hard feelings beyond this moment.
Old 03-28-20, 11:57 AM   #2024
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I had never thought of it, until I saw the news earlier today.

So far we have discussed the not-so-exact numbers from China and Iran.

But there's another area, an area who have a high population density and that is Indonesia.

According to the expert Indonesia is not telling the truth on how may of their population have been infected and how many who have died.

There's a lot of countries who are not really interest to give WHO or the rest of the world an exact number of infected or dead.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 12:09 PM   #2025
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
We must strictly disagree on this then. So be it. As a policeman you had your biography, and that nurse had her biography as a nurse. As far as I am concerned regarding you, beside the momentary fireball, no hard feelings beyond this moment.
Likewise.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan