Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Texas and Louisiana are kind of odd neighbors

Texas has 1,731 confirmed cases to Louisiana's 2,746 confirmed cases

Texas has 23 deaths recorded while Louisiana has 119 deaths recorded

Louisiana is much smaller than Texas as you all know and has refused to blame the Mardi Gras
held in February for the covid-19 sickness in their state.

Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" and is a religious holiday in Louisiana

I was there for Mardi Gras. Attendance was lower than last year but that could also have been because the weather was questionable.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 10:13 PM   #1982
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Some dozen patients form italy, France and Spain have been transported to Germn hospoitals
I saw that in the news, but on local TV they showed the hospitals in Spain with patients sleeping in the hall ways on the other side of a warning line for hospital beds coming through and they were full.

Spain and Italy are a lot alike being very old, living quarters very close to each other and a bar (usually just wine and some food) on every corner.

Very easy to transfer the virus in those situations also did you hear that early on before China announced how severe the problem of the virus had become that they had direct flights from Wuhan to Italy something about the garment factories and the designers would travel directly to Italy before the travel was stopped.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 10:22 PM   #1983
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Well then chill out Chick! Like I said the numbers in your chart just do not compare. The regular flu, which you say you never had, remains far more dangerous than WuHan virus or Covid or whatever else you want to call this latest pox upon humanity.

I quote:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182
Maybe so but you don't get situations like in Italy and Spain where the hospitals are being extremely overtaxed in such a short span of time with the seasonal flu viruses we normally deal with. I hope you're right but I seriously doubt it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-20, 10:47 PM   #1984
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Maybe so but you don't get situations like in Italy and Spain where the hospitals are being extremely overtaxed in such a short span of time with the seasonal flu viruses we normally deal with. I hope you're right but I seriously doubt it.
That's' because covid-19 is ten times more contagious than Flu A and B
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 02:57 AM   #1985
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Well, it looks like the conspiracy theorist's assertions Covid-19 is the product of a mysterious Chinese biological warfare lab in Wuhan has bitten the dust. A study report has been published detailing findings by actual scientists (not politicians hoping to score points, or talk radio host hoping to boost ratings, or the guy at the end of the bar) and they have found, surprise, surprise, Covid-19 has a natural genesis and no evidence of human manipulation has been found:

Sorry, conspiracy theorists. Study concludes COVID-19 'is not a laboratory construct' --

https://news.yahoo.com/sorry-conspir...opstories.html

Here is a link to the actual report:

The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 --

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

This caught my eye since it flies in the face of the what the administration has said about their awareness and response to the Covid-19 crisis as it developed and seems to reinforce what some have said here as being "too little, too late":

Senator says White House turned down emergency coronavirus funding in early February --

https://news.yahoo.com/senator-says-...003319950.html

Murphy's tweet dated 5 Feb 2020:

Quote:

Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren't taking this seriously enough.

Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now.

Its that old thing about "what was known, and when did they know it"...

Hopefully, whoever takes over next will learn from the gross errors of the current situation and the US will not have to needlessly suffer in the future due to bureaucratic bungling...

<O>
Old 03-28-20, 03:14 AM   #1986
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Hopefully, whoever takes over next

I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait five more years. Maybe you'll find someone viable by that time.
Old 03-28-20, 03:52 AM   #1987
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I'm afraid you're gonna have to wait five more years. Maybe you'll find someone viable by that time.

Well, you're right. Lets see: we've got less than one year to suffer through Trump The Chump; then Biden will be a place holder for the next four years (he has already indicated he really doesn't want to serve more than one term); then, I guess you'll have to come up with better candidate than a washed-up reality TV star with bad ethics, bad grasp of honesty, bad judgement, bad hair, and overly gullible followers...

See if y'all can work on that in the next five years; maybe a Kardashian will be available...

<O>
Old 03-28-20, 04:33 AM   #1988
vienna
Navy Seal

Why 'Death Rates' From Coronavirus Can Be Deceiving --

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...n-be-deceiving

How The Novel Coronavirus And The Flu Are Alike ... And Different --

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-and-different

...and for Skybird...

Why Germany's Coronavirus Death Rate Is Far Lower Than In Other Countries --

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/82059...ther-countries

<O>
Old 03-28-20, 05:42 AM   #1989
vienna
Navy Seal

A lengthy, detailed interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci where he addresses myths and misinformation about Covid-19 (if you want to skip the overly hyper opening by the host, the interview, itself, begins about 2:00 into the video):

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/antho...b6cb9dc1a0d481

<O>
Old 03-28-20, 06:50 AM   #1990
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
...and for Skybird...

Why Germany's Coronavirus Death Rate Is Far Lower Than In Other Countries --

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/82059...ther-countries

<O>
If standardizing it against population size, nobody in the western world tests as much and aggressively as Germany, it is policy here to follow the example set by the Koreans as best as we can, and they even want to double capacities at least, it was recently said. You cannot fight an enemy you do not see. Also, the Germans started to be alarmed earlier than anyone else in the West. But they also made decisions that made me shaking my head. For exmaple that until very late aircraft fro iran and China were let in, and passengers deboarded withut any controls at all. And plenty of time was additonally wasted in plltical processes. That way, quite some of the advanatges we had, had been traded away without compensation.

Its a federalist system over here.

However, the low death rate so far is giving reaso to wonder since long. explanations are tried, but nothign is certain. Maybe the German testing regime simply works well, like in Korea. Maybe the known cases caught by testing are mostly younger people with stronger resistence, and not as many old as in Italy. And we have many beds and ICUs. Nowhere else in the world, ICUs make up for such a big share of total hospital beds (population 83 million, 500,000 beds, of which 28,000 are ICUs, 75-80% of beds/ICUs usually in use at any time). Until here, maybe the German treatment maybe indeed still is better. Also, we have experienced good men in our virology league. What we desperately lack, are nurses. We need nurses, nurses, nurses, urgently. And masks and protective gear. Some houses are down to 4 days of reserves. And the wave has not even arrived here.

We do not know the reaosns of the low fatality rate for sure. Not yet.

On the Robert Koch Institute, its number updates on new cases suffer form the federalist nature of the German state. The numbers are delayed, they lag behind 2-5 days. We have I think over 400 counties (I am not certain on that number), who report their daily numbers hopefully on the sam eday (but not always) to the health mnistries of there federal states, and these mionstries report their numbers hopefully, but not always, o the sam eday to the federla health mnistry and the Robert Koch Institute.

Its a slow moving system. Federalism.

We now try to double the number of ICUs. With the Dräger Werke, we have the market leader for quality equipment and especially the all decisive control and steering software of such ventilators, they have doubled the produciton capacity in the past months already, and now build new factories to quadruple them another time. However, Mr. Dräger, the owner and leader of the company, said, that the globe'S total production of ventilators currently is around 100,000. That puts a sobering view to the demands of all nations to get ventilators by the high tens and hundreds of thousands. These cannot be produced just on assemby lines, but must be hand.-tuned and hand-.callibrated, and staff must get trained to use them correctly. As he put it: you cannot have a baby in one month by impregnating nine women (I liked that, mental note made for later reference).Also, many components depend on intact internatioton supply chains. if these break down, then that was it with the production of ventilators.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-28-20 at 07:08 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 07:07 AM   #1991
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Well the news here gets bleaker, rec'd info on some of the smaller supermarkets they are almost out of food!

I also noticed people are not giving a toss about the spacing rule!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 07:08 AM   #1992
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^^ +1 for cleverness

So now nations are hoarding? Looks we will be back in the middle ages again, when international cooperation is all that really matters now

The ban on export of personal protection means went into effect in Russia on the 2nd of March. The exceptions are things like humanitarian aid. I wish I had something other than the GP-21U gasmask at home sometimes for the events like this.

Fortunately we have significant civil defence stocks of masks for the medics and other such services but those are not available to the general population. The military is building field hospitals ahead of the surge, we are deploying extra beds in normal hospitals etc.
Old 03-28-20, 07:13 AM   #1993
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I was at Aldi yetserday, first time out after three days locked in. Wanted fresh fruits and vegetableNo hoarding anymore, but the spacing rules are not taken care of by anybody. But fewer customers around. Hoarding is exahsutive, they are all sleeping now, I guess.

I was the onyl one wearing a mask (I put it on ebfore entering shops, and off when being in the wild and on my bicycle again, the filter makes breathing more difficult). A woman dared to attack me over it. I gave a her very short, harsh and uncompromised crashcourse on the BS she was talking. Stupid woman. Man, i cannot stand stupid people these days anymore.No patience I have there, but a zero tolerance policy in place. Stupid stupids many people still are.

I also found that at ebay, simpel face maks (surgical maks) as well as FFP2 and FFP3 masks slowly become availabl again, and not with shipping from China, but from stocks in Germany. Sometimes the prices are criminal, sometimes they are within what you need to expect with market logics in palce and high demand/low supply. It pays off to look often and scan for acceptable offers, the flucutation in poffrings is very huge and quick-changing.

I wish we would follow the Czech exmaple. They got this one right. Legal obligation for anyone to wear somethign before his face when moving around int he publci space. Thats the way to go.
Old 03-28-20, 07:14 AM   #1994
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
then Biden will be a place holder for the next four years (he has already indicated he really doesn't want to serve more than one term) ...
Have made a comment on this in US politics thread.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-20, 07:18 AM   #1995
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I was at Aldi yetserday, first time out after three day slcoked in. No hoarding anymore, but the spacing rules are not taken care of by anybody. But fewer customers around. Hoarding is exahsutive, they are all sleeping now, I guess.

I was the onyl one wearing a mask. A woman dared to attack me over it. I gave a her very short, harsh and uncompromised crashcourse on the BS she was talking. Stupid woman. Man, i cannot stand stupid people these days anymore.No patience I have there, but a zero tolerance policy in place. Stupid stupids many people still are.

Good to see no hoarding.

What did she say?

Sadly I only have a gasmask (which does have an A1B1E1K1HgSXP3D filter) and ran out of FFP2/3 halfmasks (only have medical masks and the like left).

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan