SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-10, 09:19 AM   #181
Heretic
Commodore

Downloads: 240
Uploads: 2

That's inconsistant with the other commands. The 'dive' command triggers its script and the command.cfg key entry for it is 'Key0=0x56,C,"V"'. I'll have to do more testing when I get home this evening.
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 10:50 AM   #182
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Well, hmmm...
Do me a favor and look in data\Submarine\NSS_UboatXX (the one that matches the boat you tested with), and pull up crew_commands.txt and tell me what the line beginning Set_depth says

*edit* and to clairify, this is what you did?

I did the same change and it worked for my with VIIA
The set_depth command looks like this:

Set_depth 1 1 1 ( CR_CHIEF = setd_CHIEF )
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 11:08 AM   #183
Heretic
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtag View Post
I did the same change and it worked for my with VIIA
The set_depth command looks like this:

Set_depth 1 1 1 ( CR_CHIEF = setd_CHIEF )
Thanks. That's definitely not the override version. I thought I might have screwed up and included it in the main mod. I wonder if I made the edit to command.cfg incorrectly when I tested it?

I'd love to get rid of the override option. The problem with including a custom commands.cfg is it'd conflict with all the other mods that use it, the UI mods and command key mods.
Old 03-23-10, 11:18 AM   #184
blechritter
Watch

Downloads: 94
Default Trigger of crash_dive script

Apologies everybody! There was a lack of precision in my testing...

Now what I did next, and that finally appears to work (please verify)

1. Dive and crash_dive and a couple of other depth changing commands are configured to belong to the CommandClass=Depth

According to the documentation, those commands would then override each other, so only the last in sequence would actually be triggering any scripts. Thats why I kept hearing the sounds provided in set_depth.aix

2. So I removed the CommandClass=Depth line for the crash_dive command, which becomes Generic and will not be overwritten by set_depth. And here we go!

If you can verify that observation, then we would have some breakthru I believe.

In commands.cfg
[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x56,Cs,"V"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes
Sound_0=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_CHIEF_33
Sound_1=ELO_Helm,MC_QRF_WATCH_29

Last edited by blechritter; 03-23-10 at 11:56 AM.
blechritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 11:35 AM   #185
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 1

Will this key detection conflict with other key mapping mods ?
johan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 11:40 AM   #186
blechritter
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan_d View Post
Will this key detection conflict with other key mapping mods ?

As a matter of fact, if that finding proves to be valid, then a merge of mods appears to be necessary.
Old 03-23-10, 12:06 PM   #187
Heretic
Commodore

Set_depth always gets triggered after each of the depth commands. That's how my override worked. I had set_depth triggering the crash_dive scripts. If surfaced, you got the crash dive routine, otherwise just hydroplane orders.

So are you saying with the line CommandClass=Depth removed, the crash dive command triggers the crash_dive scripts?

The dive and crash dive scripts are very similar. The differences are the Chief uses the tension voice sounds in crash dive and the normal voice in dive. The men coming down the ladder have a jarring animation in crash dive. That's where one of the guys falls down. Regular dive, they come down in less of a hurry.
Old 03-23-10, 12:10 PM   #188
blechritter
Watch

Quote:
Set_depth always gets triggered after each of the depth commands. That's how my override worked. I had set_depth triggering the crash_dive scripts. If surfaced, you got the crash dive routine, otherwise just hydroplane orders.

So are you saying with the line CommandClass=Depth removed, the crash dive command triggers the crash_dive scripts?

The dive and crash dive scripts are very similar. The differences are the Chief uses the tension voice sounds in crash dave and the normal voice in dive. The men coming down the ladder have a jarring animation in crash dive. That's where one of the guys falls down. Regular dive, they come down in less of a hurry.
Oh yes, and now I hear all you have intended. From the immediate Diesel engine stop (in crash_dive.aix) to the very last Hydroplane command from set_depth.aix and men in a hurry...

Now that should provide for a more complete understanding of the inner mechanisms on how scripts are utilized.

If this could only be firmly proved by you I should have a good nights rest...
Old 03-23-10, 12:14 PM   #189
Heretic
Commodore

Yeah. I suppose removing the Depth tag means you can't overide it once you enter it. What happens if you issue a surface command right afterwards?
Old 03-23-10, 12:42 PM   #190
silversurfer
Seaman

Downloads: 70

Tried the mod again tonight with no probs at all. working beautifully.
silversurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 02:04 PM   #191
Heretic
Commodore

Well, 1.2.1 seems stable. What should I do for 1.3?

I've worked a bit more with adding crewmen. I can get a new guy to appear on the sub, but he doesn't react to the script I made for him. I assume I need to add him in somewhere else too, probably the UPC files. The problem is I can't figure out what to do with him. I've experimented with moving exisiting crewmen to likely spots as a test, but there just doesn't seem to be waypoint/animation combos that work. I can't put more guys in the torpedo room or the deck gun or even on the bunks. Adding crewmen also breaks savegame compatability. So, I'm going to shelve that for now.
  • Add crewmen to sub. Tried and gave up.
  • Add crewmen to torpedo room. Tried and gave up.
  • Add crewmen to the deck gun. Tried and gave up.
Testing 1.2.1, I got into combat for the first time, other than the tutorial. Like others have noted, the crew's lack of concern with what's going on, especially when damaged, is a big let down. Flooding and sparks and water spraying everywhere doesn't seem to concern them at all. This seems a good area to improve. The necessary infrastructure seems to all be there. The devs included damage control animations. There appear to be the necessary triggers, tho I don't fully understand them yet. I think I can utilize the gun crews, who are the guys on the bunks incidently, as a DC party. I can also jazz up the close explosion and damage reactions, add yells, curses, screams when injured, that sort of stuff.

I keep coming back to the Chief since he's the most important crew member. When the planesmen go up on watch, the Chief needs to find something else to do. Standing there directing guys who aren't there is kinda lame. I'll maybe have him wander on back to the engine room or something. It might be nice to have the bosun go on walkabout occasionally too.

Whattayathink?

Last edited by Heretic; 03-23-10 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 03-23-10, 02:09 PM   #192
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

Quote:
Yeah. I suppose removing the Depth tag means you can't overide it once you enter it. What happens if you issue a surface command right afterwards?
I just tried it with these settings in commands.cfg

[Cmd201]
Name=Crash_dive
Contexts=1
MnID=0x3F230002
StringID=1035
Key0=0x56,Cs,"V"
HasDelayedExecution=Yes
Sound_0=ELO_Helm,MC_CR_CHIEF_33
Sound_1=ELO_Helm,MC_QRF_WATCH_29

Crash dive script worked fine. Override also worked fine. I could change depth by setting depth on the bar and by using shortcuts F,V and S+V.

Seems like you solved the problem unless there is more to it

UPDATE: Seems like it introduced a new problem. After diving and re-surfacing the game seems to think that the u-boat is still under water. Crew is not going back to bridge and CO2 shows up after awhile.
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 02:09 PM   #193
Barso
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I like the way you're thinking Heretic.
Those sounds like fantastic ideas.
Old 03-23-10, 02:17 PM   #194
Heretic
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtag View Post
UPDATE: Seems like it introduced a new problem. After diving and re-surfacing the game seems to think that the u-boat is still under water. Crew is not going back to bridge and CO2 shows up after awhile.
That's what I was worried about. We just don't know the full implications of removing that tag.
Old 03-23-10, 02:24 PM   #195
Will-Rommel
Chief

Downloads: 81

Sweet project.

Tags
favorite