SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-12, 01:29 AM   #1711
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
The file that goes after v33 , is that the right one ? It says v31
Yep it's ok. It's just one file contained in it (to soften up the AI some)
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:43 AM   #1712
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Yep it's ok. It's just one file contained in it (to soften up the AI some)
Installing now sir
I uninstalled the water disturbances to test this in the campaign . Then i will test with it enabled . Regarding the water disturbances , i altered the amun_Bold lifetime from 0.75 to 0.50 . I found that the longer time was too much and enemy dds were having trouble finding me . But this was early in the war when they were suppose to have early war senses .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:53 AM   #1713
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Installing now sir
I uninstalled the water disturbances to test this in the campaign . Then i will test with it enabled . Regarding the water disturbances , i altered the amun_Bold lifetime from 0.75 to 0.50 . I found that the longer time was too much and enemy dds were having trouble finding me . But this was early in the war when they were suppose to have early war senses .
If you think that lifetime is best I'll update the mod with it. Or does it need more tweaking?

I don't think you'll need the water disturbances mod with the new ship AI. They don't have pinpoint accuracy anymore so they kinda hunt around looking for you. Leave the difficulty settings at 1.0 also to test.

The AI subs are vastly improved. They no longer surface when enemies are around. They are also much better at shooting torpedoes, evading, and finding their target.
Old 04-23-12, 02:38 AM   #1714
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Quote:
If you think that lifetime is best I'll update the mod with it. Or does it need more tweaking?

I don't think you'll need the water disturbances mod with the new ship AI. They don't have pinpoint accuracy anymore so they kinda hunt around looking for you. Leave the difficulty settings at 1.0 also to test.

The AI subs are vastly improved. They no longer surface when enemies are around. They are also much better at shooting torpedoes, evading, and finding their target.
Ok , will leave water disturbances out .
Old 04-23-12, 02:47 AM   #1715
misha1967
Commander

Downloads: 78
Uploads: 0

Does this one replace both 0.0.30 and the upgrade to 0.0.31?
Old 04-23-12, 07:24 AM   #1716
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Sounds great TDW
A good test for this would be to silentotto the campaign to TheBlackPit and choose TotWP.
Old 04-23-12, 09:36 AM   #1717
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1967 View Post
Does this one replace both 0.0.30 and the upgrade to 0.0.31?
Yes, it's a complete new version. You can still use the upgrade to 0.0.31 if you want to dumb down the AI more (as this upgrade is just one file).
Old 04-23-12, 11:26 AM   #1718
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:

I've not tested for a while due to RL & other games (sorry!), but I remember when testing the last set of improvements that the Water Disturbances mod basically made me uncatchable and had to be removed. Reducing lifetime/intensity of the disturbance effect would definitely be an improvement

Looking forward to giving the new version a go when I get time!
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:01 PM   #1719
Swat
中国水兵

Downloads: 224

I ran few test rounds. Just to explain the situation. I was sailing with my nephew few days ago, did the Baltic mission, then headed towards Scapa. The atmosphere became so intense during infiltration that I actually forgot the game is most likely gonna crash. And it did. A second before the first torp hit the capital ship.

Anyway I ran few tests right now and here are the findings. When I was playing with pedrobas MMM the game crashed - MMM contains IRAI 0030 and upgrade to IRAI 0031, right?

Now I'm trying sober's megamod - also with IRAI+IRAI Upgrade. Same result as mentioned in the first paragraph. Crash before the impact, trick with staying on the nav map doesn't work for me.

When I disable IRAI Upgrade 0031 and leave just the IRAI 0030 basemod in the game runs flawlessly. I can watch from the bridge the torpedoes decimating the capital ship with all the fireworks etc. Turn around, fire the aft one, hit, explosion, objective completed - escape.

When I put new IRAI 0033 it works the same as stated above. Even when I put 0031 upgrade after 0033 I get no crash so that's a good news I'd say.
So - 0030+0031=CTD on my system, 0033+0031=stable.

However I have to mention that AI is rather passive regardless the IRAI version. Maybe I do something wrong, don't know really, but except some firing when I'm only few hundreds of meters from them I get nothing from them otherwise. When submerged they're shining at me or my periscope, but I never ever get depthcharged. I can do whatever I want around Scapa Flowbut I'd certainly prefer if they take me through hell and force me to fight for my escape.

If there's any adjustment I can change to make AI sharper I'll be happy to learn. Anyway the fact it doesn't crash inside Scapa is a success for me (and I hope for the others too), hope my findings will help to somebody.

Thank you.

First Patrol Of U-21 Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBqInzBaGc
First Patrol Of U-21 Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqyTaomDjM
Swat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 02:34 PM   #1720
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat View Post
I ran few test rounds. Just to explain the situation. I was sailing with my nephew few days ago, did the Baltic mission, then headed towards Scapa. The atmosphere became so intense during infiltration that I actually forgot the game is most likely gonna crash. And it did. A second before the first torp hit the capital ship.

Anyway I ran few tests right now and here are the findings. When I was playing with pedrobas MMM the game crashed - MMM contains IRAI 0030 and upgrade to IRAI 0031, right?

Now I'm trying sober's megamod - also with IRAI+IRAI Upgrade. Same result as mentioned in the first paragraph. Crash before the impact, trick with staying on the nav map doesn't work for me.

When I disable IRAI Upgrade 0031 and leave just the IRAI 0030 basemod in the game runs flawlessly. I can watch from the bridge the torpedoes decimating the capital ship with all the fireworks etc. Turn around, fire the aft one, hit, explosion, objective completed - escape.

When I put new IRAI 0033 it works the same as stated above. Even when I put 0031 upgrade after 0033 I get no crash so that's a good news I'd say.
So - 0030+0031=CTD on my system, 0033+0031=stable.

However I have to mention that AI is rather passive regardless the IRAI version. Maybe I do something wrong, don't know really, but except some firing when I'm only few hundreds of meters from them I get nothing from them otherwise. When submerged they're shining at me or my periscope, but I never ever get depthcharged. I can do whatever I want around Scapa Flowbut I'd certainly prefer if they take me through hell and force me to fight for my escape.

If there's any adjustment I can change to make AI sharper I'll be happy to learn. Anyway the fact it doesn't crash inside Scapa is a success for me (and I hope for the others too), hope my findings will help to somebody.

Thank you.
Good to hear that the new version stops some CTDs - though I don't know why previous version would cause CTD

In regards to passive AI around Scapa the only thing I can do is ask you to send me your saved mission for this so I can run it and see what the AI is doing. I have to do this in-game, it's the only way I can see what's going on.
Old 04-23-12, 03:05 PM   #1721
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

@Swat

Are you close to land when this happens?
The AI ships can get stuck when too close and this may happen in scapa if you are near the shore
Old 04-23-12, 03:54 PM   #1722
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

What I'm really curious to know is what you all think of the new ship AI? Are they too easy to escape from? When they are searching for you do they have pinpoint accuracy or is their search pattern way too large? How are the AI subs behaving?

I'm working on another experimental version that will hopefully cure the docked ships issue (it will also be more optimized to reduce memory requirements)
Old 04-23-12, 04:36 PM   #1723
Swat
中国水兵

Downloads: 224

I think my feedback is not going to be super objective, because I'm concerned by that Scapa raid at the moment which can hardly be called open sea and I do believe AI will behave differently during convoy encounter for example. However for me it is crucial the game don't ctd any more so thank you very much for that.

I've actually noticed that AI around Scapa somehow doesn't bring that search to the next level. They fire at me when they see me on surface which is definitely right. However if I go to periscope depth that's it for them. Few of them carry on with searching, but way too far from my position. Others just stop and remain stationary. Accuracy range of those searching for me is pretty wide - cut the long story short - I can escape Scapa at periscope depth in full speed ahead even cruising in front or behind destroyers - those which are stationary are still stationary and those searching for me they either stop or they're too far away from me.

But again, it's Scapa mission so consider this feedback rather reserved. Maybe Trevally's suggestion might be onto something. I am close to the shore although not that close to not to be able to perform 180° turn on starboard side. By the way torpedo boats are absolutely inert. I went some fifty meters around one on surface and it still remained stationary.

Anyway I'm gonna test this further at the open sea. Thank you TDW.

First Patrol Of U-21 Part 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqBqInzBaGc
First Patrol Of U-21 Part 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWqyTaomDjM
Swat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 04:41 PM   #1724
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Did you un enable water disturbances mod .
Old 04-23-12, 04:58 PM   #1725
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

The upgrade to 31 looks exactly the same file thats in 33 ?