SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-11, 01:11 PM   #1576
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
The problem is bandwith, not memory. It's more related to how much activity there is.

Yes... didn't address that before because it's not really a demand I can make, but I'm sure other players would appreciate it if re-logging was kept to a minimum..
Ok, will do.

[EDIT] What sort of datarates are we talking about anyway?
Old 01-30-11, 04:20 PM   #1577
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

I agree IF you can walk around it no need to relog... the issue is once you see one its like somebody opened the flood gates of missing chunk hell.

I've never just walked by a chunk error and not found myself eventually facing a massive crater that I can not cross.

If I die ussually by the time I hit nagy's place the entire section of water north is missing.. so I have to walk to nagy's, reload, and then continue north.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 04:27 PM   #1578
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
[EDIT] What sort of datarates are we talking about anyway?
Limited to 1Mbit up on this end. Server typically takes 60 to 80%, spiking occasionally and briefly to 90%.

The 1 Mb is theoretical, although I know I really get close to it in practice. But it's pushing the limit.

I doubt my ISP is happy with me, but I haven't had any angry letters yet.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 06:39 PM   #1579
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Meanwhile on the server:

Arclight counts down the doomsday clock

And my pit gets turned into a local suicide hotspot...
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 08:02 PM   #1580
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Limited to 1Mbit up on this end. Server typically takes 60 to 80%, spiking occasionally and briefly to 90%.

The 1 Mb is theoretical, although I know I really get close to it in practice. But it's pushing the limit.

I doubt my ISP is happy with me, but I haven't had any angry letters yet.
I noticed network receive spiked upto 64kbyte per second (or whatever 7's Taskmanager keeps for 'normal' interval) when it was loading the world for me. That's half allready!
Old 01-30-11, 10:16 PM   #1581
Drewcifer
Commodore

Downloads: 38

Come see my glass tower, its art I tell you, art that kills.
Drewcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 05:15 AM   #1582
Arclight
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I noticed network receive spiked upto 64kbyte per second (or whatever 7's Taskmanager keeps for 'normal' interval) when it was loading the world for me. That's half allready!
Yeah... you know what? Think I'll upgrade my connection.

Server gets a doubling to 2Mb up and I get a doubling to 16Mb down. Everybody happy.

Have a hearing about an apeal today. If they rule in my favour, those €10,- a month more shouldn't be much of a problem.

Old 01-31-11, 05:39 AM   #1583
Nagy
Watch Officer

Downloads: 0

I forgot to post anything last night. I've started laying out the walls for the spawn. They should be just outside the no-build zone, so please feel free to adjust their locations or leave me a sign to tell me to do it.

You'll see red wool blocks with torches on around the perimeter, those are the potential locations of exits, again feel free to move them or add new ones if there isn't an exit that matched your preferred departure point.

http://tinyurl.com/punchtwits
Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 05:50 AM   #1584
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Have a hearing about an apeal today.
Good luck with that!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 06:28 AM   #1585
Arclight
Navy Seal

I'm gonna kick ass and talk legal matters, and I'm all out of... kick ass... wait.

Old 01-31-11, 06:41 AM   #1586
papa_smurf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Hope it goes well with the appeal

papa_smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 07:00 AM   #1587
Arclight
Navy Seal

Thanks, me too. Would be kinda nice to have income again.

Also, Predators in Minecraft? Not very likely, but it would be pretty awesome: http://kotaku.com/5747554/this-minec...-tyrannosaurus

Old 01-31-11, 07:04 AM   #1588
Pisces
Silent Hunter

For the record, for my hideout I claimed a mountain which is visible in the northeast from the spawnpoint. You should be able to see my windows, and a big V made of torches. We'll see how long they stay stuck on the wall because I had plenty of protests from the locals, organized as the 'Creeper Crib Crashers'. But after I set up some torches a peace-and-tree-loving group calling themselves the 'Farm-fanatics' decided to hold a rally there to keep (dis)order. They did so deep into the night. Thankfully things stayed in place.

Also, the first creeper showed someone already dug a tunnel there with a little further on some empty underground chambers (abandoned?). The tunnel is under what I now consider my front lawn. Please be aware that that soil is just one block of dirt thick! Not creeper-safe by any means until I manage to get me some obsidian.

I also dug a spiral staircase inside all the way to bedrock. I hope I won't run into tunnels of others, or you guys nicked the diamonds under me already. If you think I might be to close to your mineshaft(s) then please give me a PM and we'll talk to settle boundaries. I haven't got any idea where south or north is down there. If someone is willing to lend me a compass to locate Spawnpoint (or come down there) then also please contact me.
Old 01-31-11, 08:32 AM   #1589
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
I'm gonna kick ass and talk legal matters, and I'm all out of... kick ass... wait.

Arc Light - Ace Attorney

Good luck mate.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 09:28 AM   #1590
Arclight
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Arc Light - Ace Attorney

Good luck mate.
Thanks, but the real story is so sad I probably shouldn't mention it any further.

Good lord, seriously... The moment I arrived there and sat down to wait for them to come and collect me from the waiting area I started shivering, didn't stop untill I stepped out of the building again. Definetly the most severe anxiety I've had in my life. The whole experience is a bit of a blur, like a trance.

I mean, I suffered from anxiety the first time I came on Teamspeak to fly with you guys; how the hell am I supposed to undergo an official hearing with any form of dignity?

At the very least I've made it painfully clear why it is that I'm on social security.

I've honestly never been so glad to come home.

Positive thing is that when you file an apeal like that, they are forced to make a new decision. In this case, it's likely that the suspension of income is scrapped and replaced with a 20% reduction over the month Januari, and I'll get my income from December as well. I managed to pay the rent over Januari, but the people I rent from will of course be expecting my rent for Februari up front shortly. My client-manager at social security said that if they press me for the rent before I have the money, I can explain the situation and refer them to him for confirmation. Once a decision is reached, which will take 1-4 weeks, he could also expedite payment for critical expenses like rent untill normal routine is resumed.

Obviously I won't be finding any peace of mind for a while yet, but at least it doesn't seem like I'm gonna end up in the gutter. Thank god I always make sure to have a little money in reserve.

Tags
minecraft