SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-13, 02:10 PM   #136
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

The Germans did in 1918 at least up to the snail drum magazine.Remember think 100 year old technology back then that was pretty un-cumbersome by the standards of the time.That would have been nice a quick in a trench.In fact I believe that the snail drum was actually produced for the MP-18 so German soldiers where actually making the uber P08 on their own.The stock was a common feature with pistols back then.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 08:54 PM   #137
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Cool video a friend sent me.

Old 10-06-13, 09:27 PM   #138
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

DANG! That was way more than cool. Now I'm hooked, and I'm going to have to watch all of his videos.

I've always heard that bullets don't travel very far underwater, but watching it go from 2300 feet/sec to zero in just six feet was pretty sobering. This has implications for underwater shell hits in ship combat. Of course the shell in that case is a lot heavier with a lot more energy, but the principle is the same - it's going to hit the hull of the target with a lot less force.

Something else that video should help us understand is depth charges. It's commonly pointed out that a depth charge must go off within 25 feet of the submarine's hull go crack the pressure hull, and that anything outside of about 75 feet isn't likely to do any serious damage. The whole bubble explanation shows why that is so. Even though water doesn't compress, the shock bubble can only sustain itself for a very short distance.

I also liked the way the bubble vented upward very quickly and burst into the air, also much like what happens with a depth charge.

Thanks for posting that!
Old 10-06-13, 09:44 PM   #139
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
DANG! That was way more than cool. Now I'm hooked, and I'm going to have to watch all of his videos.

I've always heard that bullets don't travel very far underwater, but watching it go from 2300 feet/sec to zero in just six feet was pretty sobering. This has implications for underwater shell hits in ship combat. Of course the shell in that case is a lot heavier with a lot more energy, but the principle is the same - it's going to hit the hull of the target with a lot less force.

Something else that video should help us understand is depth charges. It's commonly pointed out that a depth charge must go off within 25 feet of the submarine's hull go crack the pressure hull, and that anything outside of about 75 feet isn't likely to do any serious damage. The whole bubble explanation shows why that is so. Even though water doesn't compress, the shock bubble can only sustain itself for a very short distance.

I also liked the way the bubble vented upward very quickly and burst into the air, also much like what happens with a depth charge.

Thanks for posting that!

Another channel you might like is The Slow Mo guys that he has help him in that video.

They do all kinds of stuff in very slow motion.

It's cool stuff...yes. I have to agree with you.

EDIT:

Here's some of their other videos that I like

Old 10-07-13, 08:09 AM   #140
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Steve, Nice M1903 rifle.

I just remembered something I heard awhile go, and thought i'd pass it along as a general FYI:

There are some 1903's that are considered unsafe to fire. I tried to find some links to support that, and this is the best i can find at the moment:

In short:
Quote:
any rifle below 800,000 for Springfield Armory and 286,506 for Rock Island Armory. The reason these rifles are considered unsafe to fire is due to improper heat treatment when they were manufactured

1903/A3/A4 rifles manufactured by Remington and 1903A3 rifles manufactured by Smith Corona are not affected and are considered safe to fire as long as they are inspected by a competent gunsmith as they should still be checked for proper headspace, bolt setback etc.

If an individual is considering buying a low numbered Springfield or Rock Island 1903 do so knowing that it is not a shooter and IT SHOULD NOT BE FIRED!
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...03-rifles.html

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Okay, that's it, I've had it up to HERE! I am SICK of you anti-American losers showing off your furrin' guns! I'm here to show you what's what by presenting an all-American weapon of distinction!

So there!

Actually I was planning on waiting until next month until I purchased a replacement bolt. I lived in a bad neighborhood for awhile and thought that if someone broke in and stole the gun they wouldn't be able to use it if I hid the bolt somewhere safe. Trouble is I hid it so well I haven't found it in the fifteen years since, and it's probably lost forever. I hate not having the original, but a replacement is better than no bolt at all, and I've found some good prices online.

You guys showing off your stuff got me too excited, so I can't wait anymore.

My '03 Springfield, license-built by Remington, now 71 years old:

The Rifle

The Date Stamp (Remington Arms, February 1942)

The Rear Sight

Original Strap (as far as I know)

Butt Plate (needs a little cleaning)

Business End with Front Sight

Manufacturer's Stamp

Oh, and a note: The first time somebody wrote "Luger P08" I did a double-take. I thought he had written "Luger POS", and I thought "Is it really that bad?"
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 02:43 AM   #141
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Nice article Ducimus.

Years ago I read about this, but it was thought the defects were due to wartime manufacture and worker inexperience. Anyway, good article.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 12:08 PM   #142
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

I saw a real interesting article in this months issue of American Rifleman.

I had no idea, but apparently Winchester didn't think too highly of the M1 Garand, and in fact had a competing rifle in the works. I think it's called the "Winchester SemiAutomatic Rifle G30"

I found an electronic version of the same magazine so you can read the article yourself. I'm trying to find more info about it, but info is incredibly scarce. Personally, I had no idea this rifle ever existed.

Anyway, here's the article, it should start you at page 87.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/...php?startid=87

Looks a little like an M14. From a historical standpoint, I can't help but wonder what difference this rifle could have made in WW2 being a semi-auto, box magazine feed rifle, instead of the enbloc clip.
Old 10-23-13, 09:06 PM   #143
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

I actually got to look at and handle some nice weapons this last weekend.

Didn't get to fire any of them...but man...

I looked at some nice M1A's (*Want*) and some special edition M1911's and there was a K98 that was taken off of a German Sniper in WW2...

There was another K98 that was supposedly taken off the battlefield, but I don't know. It had Russian markings so I wasn't completely convinced on that one.
Old 10-23-13, 09:16 PM   #144
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

I'd like to get a Garand someday.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-13, 09:49 PM   #145
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I'd like to get a Garand someday.
+1

They're beautiful rifles.
Old 10-23-13, 10:30 PM   #146
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Interesting article. I'll have to let it digest a bit.

Old 10-29-13, 02:16 PM   #147
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Learn something new everyday.

It's so simple and logical, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not knowing this before.

EDIT:
Here's a second video demonstrating the same method:
Old 10-29-13, 03:00 PM   #148
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

A bullet never lies good thing to keep in mind no matter what zero method you use.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 05:56 PM   #149
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post

It's so simple and logical, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not knowing this before.
I shot 18 the other day with my dad and a friend just trying to get on paper.

The rings are a bit high for the scope....so I'll have to find some different ones.
Old 10-30-13, 10:50 PM   #150
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post

I like it, very economical.

It occurs to me, that you can do the same thing without someone to adjust the sights:
Fire one shot holding dead on. Lets say it goes low to the right. Then adjust say 5 clicks up and 5 left. Fire a second shot, same hold. It will be high and left of the first shot. Now when you go to the target and measure it, the vertical change in POI/ 5 gives you the vertical adjustment value. The horizontal change in POI/ 5 gives you the horizontal adjustment value. Adjust as needed from the second shot.

Quote:
I shot 18 the other day with my dad and a friend just trying to get on paper.
When you have a new rifle/scope or such, it is advisable to fire for a close range zero, first. Otherwise, it is hard to know where the rounds might go.

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles