Old 12-21-20, 11:53 AM   #136
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I could be wrong.

Buying survival kits is only a smaller part of surviving a disaster. The biggest thing is the mental and psychological side of it.

The world(society) has collapsed many of your family and friends are gone-would you have the psychological and mental strength to coup with these facts ?

Markus
You are not wrong at all. Equipment is nothing wiothout the routine gained how to use it, so: train with it. And mental preparedness additionally to the needed knowledge also is a must, you are absolutely right there. Every trainer in self-defence courses knows that: that people who have taken such courses, women especially, often nevertheless become victims although they could have escaped or drive their attacker away - if only they would have been better prepared to use physical violence themselves. This must be trained, its part of good self defence courses. If it is not, the course is not worth the money. Battle cries serve this purpose, too, to loosen and overcome such inhibitions. Thats why a martial arts teacher wants you to shout, yell, during a push, kick, whatever. Well, its not the only reason, but another good one. As my past mentor and trainer used to say: if you ever end up in a serious brawl, forget all what I taught you and forget martial arts, but switch to enjoy being a rabit dog. Martial arts master versus criminal scum used to mean street violance and cheats and tricks, looses. Always. It only works in the movies. If in serious trouble : be mean and unfair, or run, if you can. Don'T try to be a martial arts master, you will most likely end up pretty badly as long as you are no real Shaolin monk. And even a monk will not dodge a bullet, or a knife in his back.

There is no fairness in fighting. When there is fairness in it, its called a sport.
Old 12-21-20, 09:50 PM   #137
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Here's some my kit. A 15 degree down sleeping bag. Over a down filled sleeping pad rated r-value of 5 and underneath it I sometimes use thermarest foam pad r-value 2 offers even more insulation but more importantly the foamy helps protect the inflatable pad against punctures.

I stole my wifes cotton facial wipes which already come in a plastic wrap. They catch fire very quickly with the Bushcraft firestick. I also carry matches. Got my Optimus cook stove, comes with cups and stuff sack can even find gas cans small enough to stow inside the cups, pretty convieniant.

There's a pack of Hoo-ahhs (dude wipes) for cleaning up in the field. Extra pair of skivvies and socks, Sawyer water filter, two bottles of waters (I reuse the bottles). Ontario Knife Company survival knife, lensatic compass, toothbrush and paste, small plastic garden trowel for digging catholes, and a frogg-togg rain poncho.

I use a two person MountainSmith tent. Rain fly is optional during clear warm nights. I like the two person because I can take all my gear inside with me and still have plenty of room inside. It rolls up nicely and weighs only four pounds.

All of the above fits inside a 40 liter Osprey back pack. With room for five days worth of dehydrated food. When I go to the Appalacians for a few days I pack a book that indentifies edible plants for the region.

Set up at Osceola National Forest where I stayed a few nights ago

Sailors beware. Thar be alligators 'ere.

Heading home for the holiday

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 12-22-20 at 06:28 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 09:35 AM   #138
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Nice kit for a clearly defined holiday scenario! I prefer thermarest for sleepign equipment, too, some of their stuff is really very good, light and warm.

I envy you in those nations where you can just go into the green, and camp. In Sweden you can do like this, too, as far as I know. In Germany, it simply is forbidden in state forests, you may camp over the day, but not over the night: then it is no longer a temporary rest; and in private forests you need to ask the owner'S permission (which probably is also the case anyhwere else, and even is okay, I mean after all its private property).

If you do wildcamping in Germany, stay hidden, keep low profile, and arrange your place in such a way that any observer - the ranger for example - can easily see the intention to not do damage and leave garbage behind. Therefore, be especially careful with open fires, and in much of sporing and over the summer and again much of autumn I would consider fire in forests to be a total no go. If you get found by a ranger, you depend on his good will, ylu have no legal claim whatever (althioguh you pay texes to the state and thus shoudkl be seen as co-owner of the public forests, and the ranger being your employee...) . He is authorized to even have you being carried away by the police (he has policing power), and getting sued. But he can also decide to tolerate your stay if he is in the mood and sees you being of good willingness to leave no footprint behind in the nature of the place you are in. It depends on the place, the chemistry between you and him, and the man himself. From a legal standpoint however the case is always clear: its illegal.

Chances to get caught by a ranger in germany I assume to be higher than in North america. Everythign is so small and tiny over here...
Old 12-22-20, 09:40 AM   #139
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Heading home for the holiday
Thanks for the tips and the picts Rockstar

I've been following you for years and didn't know you looked like a mountain man
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 12:27 PM   #140
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Nice kit for a clearly defined holiday scenario! I prefer thermarest for sleepign equipment, too, some of their stuff is really very good, light and warm.

I envy you in those nations where you can just go into the green, and camp. In Sweden you can do like this, too, as far as I know. In Germany, it simply is forbidden in state forests, you may camp over the day, but not over the night: then it is no longer a temporary rest; and in private forests you need to ask the owner'S permission (which probably is also the case anyhwere else, and even is okay, I mean after all its private property).

If you do wildcamping in Germany, stay hidden, keep low profile, and arrange your place in such a way that any observer - the ranger for example - can easily see the intention to not do damage and leave garbage behind. Therefore, be especially careful with open fires, and in much of sporing and over the summer and again much of autumn I would consider fire in forests to be a total no go. If you get found by a ranger, you depend on his good will, ylu have no legal claim whatever (althioguh you pay texes to the state and thus shoudkl be seen as co-owner of the public forests, and the ranger being your employee...) . He is authorized to even have you being carried away by the police (he has policing power), and getting sued. But he can also decide to tolerate your stay if he is in the mood and sees you being of good willingness to leave no footprint behind in the nature of the place you are in. It depends on the place, the chemistry between you and him, and the man himself. From a legal standpoint however the case is always clear: its illegal.

Chances to get caught by a ranger in germany I assume to be higher than in North america. Everythign is so small and tiny over here...
Similar issues here only some our National Forests allow someone to blaze a new trail to set up camp. Just dont use a bear trail and you'll be fine . Still, such things are frowned upon by rangers and campers alike because it does cause damage to the enviroment, especially with the recent influx of new visitors. Myself I make a point to use established man made trails and clearings. I always pack out everything I pack in and take a large contractor trash bag with me to pick up after those inconsiderate slobs. You know I have a fire starter and cotton balls to start a campfire but like my survival knife I seldom use them. Had'em for years but they look brand new. Mostly just use a match to light my stove cook a meal from time to time and thats it. There are some Appalachian Trail (APT) through hikers on youtube who share some good recipes for no cook 'survival' meals. I also dehydrate and vacuum seal my own food, so much less expensive and still very light weight I can pack foid for many days and I can always find water to rehydrate it.

Oh, Mr. Quatro. when I get my hair slicked back in a ponytail and look at you. Others have said I look closer to Rasputin than a mountain man

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 01:33 PM   #141
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Oh, Mr. Quatro. when I get my hair slicked back in a ponytail and look at you. Others have said I look closer to Rasputin than a mountain man
I was thinking more like Big Foot, but I didn't want to upset you
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 02:20 PM   #142
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Rockstar,
thanks for the photos, wishing you a good time and Merry Christmas

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-20, 04:30 AM   #143
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I've been following you for years and didn't know you looked like a mountain man

No offense meant - and I might be showing my age here - but that's a phrase that I truly never would have expected to hear in my lifetime.
Old 12-24-20, 05:26 PM   #144
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Have just seen Greenland together with my Mom.

While watching this action disaster movie I was thinking.

If this happen a earth killer of an asteroid should hit us. I don't think all these survival kits one may have is useable..if the person doesn't know a basement very, very deep underground(and of course not near the impact zone)

I came to the conclusion it would be better to have a................................

Heck of a end of the world party and party until the end.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 08:44 PM   #145
August
Wayfaring Stranger

This is how i roll in the woods.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-20, 12:21 AM   #146
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

What? No satellite TV dish?
Old 12-25-20, 01:01 PM   #147
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
What? No satellite TV dish?

Basic "campsite vision" has but two channels:

1. The campfire and the friends sitting around it.

2. The starry night sky.

But i'll take those any day over the best TV service no matter how many channels it has.

Old 12-26-20, 01:59 PM   #148
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ - ^^^ I like that.

I always wondered if those ATVs are easy to maintain and repair

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 07:33 PM   #149
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ - ^^^ I like that.

I always wondered if those ATVs are easy to maintain and repair

Easy enough I guess. I've had that one since y2k.

Old 12-27-20, 09:08 AM   #150
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

That's a beautiful setup, August, plus you seem to live near the woods, you will have the added responsibility to repopulate the world.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival