SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Comments to SUBSIM Review
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-10, 11:03 AM   #136
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
BTW, what is the advantage of school uniforms? I can't think of any.
They make it much harder for kids to use clothes as status symbols for the purposes of excluding, bullying, ridiculing other kids who don't wear the preferred styles, brand names, etc. They remove "what everybody else is wearing" as a subject of focus and concern and encourage kids to come up with other, more clever ways of expressing their individuality (which, if they wish, they can still do via clothing when they are "off the clock" anyway).

They can save parents a great deal of time, money, and hassle, since buying school clothes becomes a relatively simple matter and one that is less likely to be accompanied by sounds of whining, begging, sulking, and adolescent threats of "If I can't have [x] I'll just die!"

From an adult point of view, where I work I didn't have to wear a "medical office" uniform when I started since I'm not a member of the medical staff. A few years into it they brought up the idea of having all the staff dress to the same standard and offered to purchase the first set of approved clothing for us.

I was dead set against it, not for "individuality" reasons but because when I took the job I'd spent a good bit of my own money buying the appropriate "business casual" wardrobe that was required at the time, which I would have no use for if I didn't wear it to work.

The majority wanted the uniforms, though, and that's what we went with. It wasn't long before I came around and I wouldn't go back now if I could. Putting together an outfit five mornings a week no longer requires the kind of thought and planning that it used to and instead of making a weekly trip to the drycleaners, everything I wear to work now goes in the washer/dryer with the rest of my stuff. Over the long run it has saved me a lot of time, energy, and money. Even if I buy my own uniforms to supplement what my employer provided, it's still much cheaper than keeping a business casual wardrobe together.
Old 12-08-10, 12:15 PM   #137
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

There are no real advantages to having a school uniform. Those who think "it will put an end to bullying" are just naive. What do you think that just because your high school has a uniform everyone loves each other and nobody will ever say or do anything that is inappropriate?

edit
Would you rather have someone say "your shirt is so 2009, get with the times" or "you're a ****ing faggot who..." and say things that are actually hurtful and cause you serious emotional distress and possibly depression (and along with it more teen suicides)? Thank god school uniforms aren't used in America (except in some private schools).

Old 12-08-10, 12:20 PM   #138
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
There are no real advantages to having a school uniform. Those who think "it will put an end to bullying" are just naive. What do you think that just because your high school has a uniform everyone loves each other and nobody will ever say or do anything that is inappropriate?
Nobody claimed it would put an end to bullying. That's a strawman argument. It removes clothes as status symbols and a basis for bullying in an environment where distractions like who's wearing what should be minimized. You're there to learn, not to take part in a fashion show.

There are no disadvantages to requiring uniforms.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 12-08-10, 12:27 PM   #139
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Nobody claimed it would put an end to bullying. That's a strawman argument. It removes clothes as status symbols and a basis for bullying in an environment where distractions like who's wearing what should be minimized. You're there to learn, not to take part in a fashion show.

High school isn't really about learning. It's about:
-Discovering who you are and what you want to do with your life after high school.
-Chillin with friends.
-Dating.
-Sports (if you're a jock).
-Sex.
-Learning about society.

Sure, mathematics may be useful to an extent, but they teach one-sided versions of history and most of their science information is totally outdated. Did you know they still teach that there are only 9 primary objects in the solar system? What the ****? I mean there are 8 known planets and 5 known dwarf planets, with several other dwarf planets which are unconfirmed but the evidence supports they exist. Half the stuff they teach in both social and physical science classes is either biased or wrong.

Old 12-08-10, 12:28 PM   #140
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

Nobody would agree to use school uniforms in the USA. It would be unenforced and everyone would just do what they have been doing.

Old 12-08-10, 12:30 PM   #141
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
High school isn't really about learning. It's about:
-Discovering who you are and what you want to do with your life after high school.
-Chillin with friends.
-Dating.
-Sports (if you're a jock).
-Sex.
-Learning about society.
Wow. Your priorities are completely screwy.

Quote:
Nobody would agree to use school uniforms in the USA. It would be unenforced and everyone would just do what they have been doing.
What about the numerous school districts that already require them?

Quote:
In 2007–08, about 18 percent of public school principals reported that their school required students to wear uniforms. In 1999–2000, the percentage of principals who reported that their school required students to wear uniforms was 12 percent.

Also, in 2007–08, approximately 55 percent of public school principals reported that their school enforced a strict dress code, an increase from 47 percent in 1999-2000.

SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2009). Indicators of School Crime and Safety: 2009 (NCES 2010-012), Table 20.1.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 12-08-10, 12:32 PM   #142
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

There's only like 1 and that's in Illinois. There are several reason 99% of all schools don't have them.

Old 12-08-10, 12:34 PM   #143
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

Dress codes are different, but those actually make some sense to prevent teens from coming to school almost naked.

Old 12-08-10, 12:34 PM   #144
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Quote:
There's only like 1 and that's in Illinois. There are several reason 99% of all schools don't have them.
95% of New Orleans’ public schools require uniforms
85% of Cleveland’s public schools require uniforms
80% of Chicago’s public schools require uniforms
65% of Boston’s public schools require uniforms
60% of Miami’s public schools require uniforms
50% of Cincinnati’s public schools require uniforms

Old 12-08-10, 12:36 PM   #145
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
95% of New Orleans’ public schools require uniforms
85% of Cleveland’s public schools require uniforms
80% of Chicago’s public schools require uniforms
65% of Boston’s public schools require uniforms
60% of Miami’s public schools require uniforms
50% of Cincinnati’s public schools require uniforms
You listed urban schools. City schools are completely different from rural and suburban schools. Most people who live in cities come from very low class African American families. You know, the 'hood.

Old 12-08-10, 12:38 PM   #146
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

We did a poll at my school to see how people would feel about school uniforms. Every single person said that they would hate it and it wouldn't work.

Old 12-08-10, 12:44 PM   #147
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Kid, you're 18. You don't know everything, you just think you do. Things are a lot different in the real world than they are in the world in your head.

That's why we don't let 13-17 year olds vote and sign contracts.
Old 12-08-10, 12:46 PM   #148
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post

Kid, you're 18. You don't know everything, you just think you do. Things are a lot different in the real world than they are in the world in your head.

That's why we don't let 13-17 year olds vote and sign contracts.
But we do let them join forums and so they can join and participate in this VERY DISCUSSION, and I can only imagine that they'd pick my side.

Old 12-08-10, 12:47 PM   #149
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
You listed urban schools. City schools are completely different from rural and suburban schools. Most people who live in cities come from very low class African American families. You know, the 'hood.

And how does this affect your argument/the arguments of anyone else?
Old 12-08-10, 12:48 PM   #150
Solace
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb View Post
And how does this affect your argument/the arguments of anyone else?
I'm just saying, you can't compare the poor to the middle and upper classes. Just like you can't compare the middle to the upper class.

Closed Thread