SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-24, 12:10 AM   #1
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Exclamation turntable tracks?

Hello, I have Klaus Doldinger's Das Boot records and want to play it around the boat to set the mood for my sailors. Any pointers on how to do this? Thanks
Old 09-17-24, 10:21 AM   #2
Fidd
Commander

Downloads: 10

Unfortunately it's not possible because of copyright issues?
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-24, 01:08 AM   #3
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

what copyright issues? I am not asking to include the Das Boot tracks with the game. I am asking if I own the files to add them to the turntable tracks available. Non-copyrighted music shouldn't be a problem and those are many. For reference I am talking about this image

like is there a directory in the steam folder to add my mp3 tracks to it to be listed on this list?
Old 09-18-24, 09:22 PM   #4
Fidd
Commander

Technically, if you own copyrighted music, and most is, then you don't have the right to broadcast to it more than one user- you! Obviously playing a radio in a crowded park, gives some wriggle room legally, as it's the broadcaster, not you, making the transmission. The problem is that playing copyrighted music within a game to others would mean paying greater music royalties than your personal "fair use" ability to play music would technically allow. Whilst I would not expect us playing copyrighted music in this way would ever result in a court-case against us, it just might if the music were stored and or downloaded from the game, with the devs being sued. That's my understanding. I imagine they'd be keen to avoid that. One possible answer would be to allow any given player to play any music they wish, but have no other player able to hear what that individual played. As I never wish to ever hear "It's a long way" ever ever again, this would seem a possible way around the problem? The problem is that even this would be a technical breach as you'd be breaking the usual rules that disallow uploading copyrighted music to an electronic device.
Old 09-21-24, 01:53 AM   #5
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Support

my friend, and I hope I can call you my friend, I just want to play the tracks for me on my own 'hidden' private server while enjoying the game. Simple! Now is there a way to do so, without the legal aspect of the thread, to which I hope I could find an answer to. What I mean is, go to folder X in Wolfpack directory, paste the MP3 files there and they should appear on the turntable tracks. It is a very simple request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidd View Post
Technically, if you own copyrighted music, and most is, then you don't have the right to broadcast to it more than one user- you! Obviously playing a radio in a crowded park, gives some wriggle room legally, as it's the broadcaster, not you, making the transmission. The problem is that playing copyrighted music within a game to others would mean paying greater music royalties than your personal "fair use" ability to play music would technically allow. Whilst I would not expect us playing copyrighted music in this way would ever result in a court-case against us, it just might if the music were stored and or downloaded from the game, with the devs being sued. That's my understanding. I imagine they'd be keen to avoid that. One possible answer would be to allow any given player to play any music they wish, but have no other player able to hear what that individual played. As I never wish to ever hear "It's a long way" ever ever again, this would seem a possible way around the problem? The problem is that even this would be a technical breach as you'd be breaking the usual rules that disallow uploading copyrighted music to an electronic device.
Old 09-22-24, 06:28 PM   #6
Fidd
Commander

Copyright law hasn't really caught up with technology. You'd think it would be simple, and I totally get being able to play music of your own might be cool, within the game, ie not playing it to others. The difficulty may be that you're playing it via someone else's software. I've no idea if legally speaking, that could create difficulties for, or expenses for, the devs. Then there's the issue that every state around the world has it's own copyright laws. I suspect it's just too much trouble and work for too little return. Even if it was easy to allow any music to be broadcast throughout the boat, then there's the very different laws on Nazi era songs, which is a whole new rats-nest of problems. I imagine most modern Germans would be appalled to hear the Horst Wessel song played, but many players around the world likely would not recognise it as an offensive song. So player controlled music playing on the boat is just a potential minefield for the devs. In my opinion of course! Only being able to hear your own music would help. I suppose you could leave discord on and use ingame comms for speech, use discord to play the music?