SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-24, 01:54 AM   #1
Snake Play's
Swabbie

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 Saves

Hi!

Quick question. (Tried to google)
I am SH5 veteran, so i know how you save games in sh5 twos campaign.
BUT I'm about to start sh4 FOTRS soon. I know only that there is missions like "Patrol 10 days in X area". Can i make save inside the area whenever i want without affecting the mission? Or is it like in SH5 where it is not recommended to save inside patrol area or it starts the patrol hours all over again.

Does SH4 FOTRS have that same save recommendation or can i just go how i seem fit and save before 10 days are completed?

Also everytime i load save game i hear torpedo launching sound, started when i sunk 1 ship.

Stock game problem? (doesn't annoy, just curious)
Snake Play's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-24, 09:04 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

The Save system of SH4 is better than SH3's, and better than SH5's apparently. It was one reason I quit trying to play SH5 as much - that and the fact that I cannot move about the boat very well, especially getting through the hatch and down the ladder if we have to crash dive...

However, if you would, please clarify if you will be using FOTRS ("Fall of the Rising Sun" from the AOTD_MadMax team), or FotRSU ("Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate", which is a re-working of all versions of AOTD_MadMax's mod into one, with updates). The original mod does have some issues with Save games after the mid-1943 timeframe, which is due in part to several groups of DD that roam the ocean without termination. There was an unauthorized patch for that mod somewhere, and if I find it, I'll try to re-post it. If instead you are using FotRSU, then those issues have been eliminated for the most part.

Either way though, unlike the work-arounds necessary in SH5, the SH4 game is not restricted by the Save system. You can Save in the middle of just about any situation, exit the game, and come back later to load the Save, and continue where you left off. It is still recommended though, to Save at as quiet of a point in time as you can. It is also usually recommended to Save when at Periscope Depth (or deeper) to minimize any possible time clock versus daylight / night time issues that SH4 is infamous for. Do NOT save in the middle of a crash dive especially, but it is also recommended to already be straight and level when you save. As always with Silent Hunter, do not Save under any Time Compression, but be at 1x TC.

The "sound" system in the game is still basically the SH3 engine (as is the SH5 game's), and you will hear certain sounds re-introduced as a Save game loads, such as the sound of a torpedo launching, or a repeated radio broadcast, explosions, and sometimes the sound of the anti-submarine net if you're close to one, or hit one earlier. That sound by itself can cause a person to jump from their seat in horror, as they think their boat is being destroyed, which it is not (usually). Also of note is that if your boat is damaged in any way, and you save and exit the game in the middle of repairs for said damage, when you re-enter the scenario from the Load, your repairs will be back to the beginning. That time clock, and others that use it, will re-set. Your elapsed mission patrol time, should not though.

Edit: One significant thing to remember about the Silent Hunter "Save" scheme though, is that the "randomness" of some situations can be reapplied after loading a Save, such that if you Save and exit a game with a ship that you damaged and is sinking at the time of the Save - you might find that it is re-floated, or perhaps "gone", but you won't have credit for its sinking. Or, perhaps another ship of the same class will appear shortly, and you sink it, but do not receive credit for that ship, since the game seems to think it's the same ship you already sank earlier... these and other strange things can be encountered in any of the Silent Hunter games...

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-07-24 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Additional Comment...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-24, 10:40 AM   #3
Snake Play's
Swabbie

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Thank you! Appreciate your effort! That was total complete 10/10 answer and yes, i have now installed Fall of the rising sun Ultimate. =)

I can handle any those other "symptoms" but if patrolling time is not resetting evry time middle of a save that is awesome. Cause theres alot of things that very often happens that interrupts my play for a longer time and it is pretty nice that you dont have to always start the counter again.

Thank you very much!
Snake Play's is offline   Reply With Quote