SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-30-07, 06:28 PM   #1
SteminDemon13
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Where Can I find the Yamato?

Hi all,
It is 1944, In my entire career I have only met the Yamato once. I have been looking all over, I see a task force on the screen, run it down and it winds up being four cans and 2 damn merchants, some task force. I really want to find the Yamato, where would be the best spots to find the ole Yam Toe? I have been in and out of the shipping lanes and even went into some ports but no luck. Can anyone help? Thanks.
SteminDemon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 07:32 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Realistically she should be tough to find. There were only two: Yamato and her sister Musashi...unless you count the stillborn Shinano. Plus, the real Yamato spent most of 1943 swinging idly at anchor in Truk Lagoon. She really didn't start seeing a lot of fleet combat action until 1944. If you do come across her consider yourself lucky.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 07:45 PM   #3
SteminDemon13
Sparky

Thanks for the help torp. I guess that one time when I got a glimpse and let 4 go is probably the last , although I hope not.
Old 10-30-07, 07:54 PM   #4
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Here's a site that lists most of the movements of the Yamato thoughout her ill-starred career.

http://www.battleshipyamato.info/battles.html

Looks like the only US subs which had brushes with her were the Skate, Harder, Halibut, Batfish, Darter and Dace, and the Threadfish. Apparently, she was such a high prestige target/oil hog that the Japanese didn't like moving her about anymore than they had too.

--Mobilis in Mobili--

Last edited by Torplexed; 10-30-07 at 08:08 PM.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 09:26 PM   #5
Neptune#1
Bosun

Downloads: 112

There is a 6 part documentary on u-tube that is all about the Yamato it was quite interesting.
Neptune#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 11:09 PM   #6
DeepSix
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 5

In the game I've come across two juicy task forces in a single career. One was in 1942 just outside of Surabaya and contained a Yamato, a Fuso, and an Ise-class along with 4 or 5 cruisers and 4 or 5 destroyers. The other was a Taiho-centered task force and that was near Manila in late '43 or early '44. Think there was a Hiryu-class or two in there also.

I don't know about other players, but this is one area where I think the game does pretty well. It's good to run into occasional opportunities to sink a "pride-of-the-fleet" target, but it's also good that it doesn't happen on every patrol. It's an appropriately rare thing in the game - or has been for me. This is also true of other things like landing forces or troop ships. This career I haven't seen one single troop ship - last career I ran into 2 or 3.

Jack's happy days will soon be gone,
To return again, oh never!
For they've raised his pay five cents a day,
But they've stopped his grog forever.
For tonight we'll merry, merry be,
But tomorrow we'll be sober.
- "Farewell to Grog"

DeepSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 11:19 PM   #7
SteminDemon13
Sparky

I've seen the 6 part video, amazing. Thanks for the link, the picture never loaded up though.
Today I was out patrolling when I spotted an allied task force and was steaming right along with the North Carolina. I followed them quite a distance hoping they were gonna turn for enemy territory, (AI ships do a good job of avoiding collisions with you and each other) but they took a turn for home, so I broke off and went up to my objective. I have some shots of the task force I was steaming with, just have to motivate myself to convert them to JPG's host them on image shack and then put them up here somewhere.
Old 07-13-24, 02:51 PM   #8
DeadlyAirForce
Swabbie

Downloads: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteminDemon13 View Post
Hi all,
It is 1944, In my entire career I have only met the Yamato once. I have been looking all over, I see a task force on the screen, run it down and it winds up being four cans and 2 damn merchants, some task force. I really want to find the Yamato, where would be the best spots to find the ole Yam Toe? I have been in and out of the shipping lanes and even went into some ports but no luck. Can anyone help? Thanks.
I have occasionally run into her sitting at either Hatsukaichi, Hiroshima, Tsukumo, Kure, or at Kobe Harbor it just depends on time of day it is from my experience but she doesnt always spawn tho, getting to Tsukumo is very risky and tight because of all the shore batteries and the small channel that goes to Tsuumo.
DeadlyAirForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-24, 04:37 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAirForce View Post
occasionally
... respnding to a thread after 17 years is certainly the very epitomy of occasionalness!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-24, 10:06 AM   #10
Angel4532
Swabbie

Downloads: 257

Late October 1944 I have run into them northeast of Samar on their way to attack Taffy 3. around Oct 25th I believe.
Angel4532 is offline   Reply With Quote