SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-24, 08:29 AM   #31
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Yeah, I probably need to see if I can get one done. Any volunteers?
Old 08-27-24, 09:46 AM   #32
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Yeah, I probably need to see if I can get one done. Any volunteers?
I'd simply draft GoldenRivet! His first post in this thread was quite good.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-24, 05:27 PM   #33
Viking_1957
Watch

Downloads: 12
Default UBOAT Review

I'm nearly done one, its been fun getting back into the deep water after those years in SH4 and SH5. I've written many professional reviews but dont know where to publish this one. Here's the opening salvo...

“The only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-Boat peril.”
Winston Churchill

I think it was around 1991, and I bought a box of cereal that contained a CD. On the disk was a game called Silent Hunter. I was running a 386/33 at the time I believe, probably with 2 MB of RAM. It was my first taste of WWII U-boat action, and it was as basic as it gets.

Fast forward to 2005 and Silent Hunter III launched. Gameplay was pretty good and graphics were nearly believable. Silent Hunter IV and V took this further, even with all the bugs. And the modders kept busy from SHIII onward. The worst bugs in SH5 disappeared, and with the big mod packs gameplay became truly hardcore for those who wanted it.

Here we are 14 years after SH5, and U-Boat has been in development for 5 or 6 years. But it has finally come out of beta, and it is the richest gameplay out of the box of any WWII submarine simulation so far. It extends a configurable combat sim with a crew simulation and an economic game played every time you are in port (recruiting, supply, and technology). Mission variety? In spades. As for graphics, yes, also the best yet, as one would expect in 2024! (Sure, Silent Depth 2 looks better but its just an arcade game really.)

Last edited by Viking_1957; 08-28-24 at 05:40 PM.
Viking_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-24, 11:36 AM   #34
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking_1957 View Post
I'm nearly done one, its been fun getting back into the deep water after those years in SH4 and SH5. I've written many professional reviews but dont know where to publish this one. Here's the opening salvo...

“The only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-Boat peril.”
Winston Churchill

I think it was around 1991, and I bought a box of cereal that contained a CD. On the disk was a game called Silent Hunter. I was running a 386/33 at the time I believe, probably with 2 MB of RAM. It was my first taste of WWII U-boat action, and it was as basic as it gets.

Fast forward to 2005 and Silent Hunter III launched. Gameplay was pretty good and graphics were nearly believable. Silent Hunter IV and V took this further, even with all the bugs. And the modders kept busy from SHIII onward. The worst bugs in SH5 disappeared, and with the big mod packs gameplay became truly hardcore for those who wanted it.

Here we are 14 years after SH5, and U-Boat has been in development for 5 or 6 years. But it has finally come out of beta, and it is the richest gameplay out of the box of any WWII submarine simulation so far. It extends a configurable combat sim with a crew simulation and an economic game played every time you are in port (recruiting, supply, and technology). Mission variety? In spades. As for graphics, yes, also the best yet, as one would expect in 2024! (Sure, Silent Depth 2 looks better but its just an arcade game really.)

Look forward to it

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-24, 11:55 AM   #35
Viking_1957
Watch

Downloads: 12
Default UBOAT review

where do I send it?
Viking_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-24, 01:21 PM   #36