Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-24, 10:37 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

As I've been snacking on my supplies over the last few years and testing what it tastes like, it was time to fill the gaps left by the stolen bags. I have enough of these for 5 weeks, so just over 3 dozen. Plus several kilos of millet, then lots of tinned fish, other tinned food with rations of less flavorful quality than these bagged meals. A few kilos of rice and oats are probably also lying around canned somewhere. Normally rationed, I can last a quarter of a year with one warm main meal a day, and something secondary per day. Stretched out, even longer.

The bags that were delivered today contain 600 grams, or 300 grams as pure meat only. Shelf life until summer and fall 2033! Can be eaten cold or heated, in the microwave, in a pot, in a water bath. No water is added, these are meals ready to eat. Also good for trekking, hiking, day trips, camping.

As for the price, that's just the way it is these days, and certain ideologues want to use the price as a means of conditioning people to not eat meat or eggs or butter at all. But by way of comparison, if I buy a 300-330g Entrecote steak pre-packed in the supermarket, I currently pay around ten euros for it. A ribeye steak of Argentinian beef from the Maredo brand also costs 10 euros - per 200 grams - in the local supermarket - and there is only one source for both in the whole city, I must launch an expedition once a week to get there, its on the other side of the town. I do it, to keep costs "affordable". At the butcher's counter in the supermarket, the fillet steak and rump steak, which are more common in this country, both cost far too much. When I ask for RibEye or Entrecote, they just stare at me. We only have meat counters in supermarkets left, as well as meat from the fridge (more and more supermarkets over here sort out frozen meats, too) all butchers we once had have shut down years ago.

At the meat counter in the supermarket, the more common fillet steak and rump steak in this country, both much too lean for my taste, cost considerably more, and I would even pay up to three times as much for organic quality (I don't do that, the costs are insane). I used to buy locally here (from a farmer who raises lifestock and butchers himself) when I didn't eat it regularly every day - but that meat was even more expensive.

However, Expresmenü offers, among other things, 300g beef, pre-cooked and only sautéed, with a pure meat weight of 300g, also for 10 euros, which corresponds to the entrecote. It's just not quite the same fatty meat quality (for those who don't know, entrecote is the same as ribeye, only cut according to French instead of American cutting pattern. The meat contains no tendons or gristle, but a juicy fat content, which is desirable. I avoid fillet steak, it's far too lean - and then it's also more expensive). Many think its best meat. To me, its quite inferior meat.

For Gulasch - simply take the cheapest beef meat you can get! No peppers - onions only.

From this point of view, since we are talking about stockpiling for emergencies, these pure canned meats are highly recommended for carnivores' needs and are no more expensive than meat consumption is anyway. Note that the proportion of meat in the complete menus of 600 g is one third to one half, the remainder being vegetables, side dishes and sauces. The pure canned meat is only beef, pork or chicken, unflavored, only salted, pre-cooked. Put them in the Dutch oven or cast iron pan on the rocket stove, add some ketjap manis and sherry and roasted sesame oil, some pre-cooked millet - et voila. But you can also use a pot.
image host

My golden recipe: a perennial favorite: cut meat of any kind into thin slices and sear. Mix separately in a small bowl or cup: a few shot glasses of ketjap manis, a few tablespoons of sherry, a little extra sweetness, chili powder to taste, a tablespoon of caraway seeds (yes you read that right: Kümmel, Caraway seeds, no mistake from my side), a few dashes of roasted sesame oil, mix with sauce thickener, then add to the pan, let it thicken and enjoy! Every child can do it, and it's quick. Also works with minced meat, very well in fact. If you like, add a few mushroom halves, some Chinese cabbage and a chopped pepper to the meat.

BTW, I am serious about the caraway seeds. Its that "secret ingredient".

It's a shame that ketjap manis has so much sugar, I always have to hold back on it.

Sesame oil only from Yeoh's (Singapore), because it's the best.Quality of Ketjap Manis can vary dramatically, only accept Conimex (Dutch) or Wan Kwai (German)

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival