SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-16, 05:39 PM   #16
siege00
Officer

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 0

If you want to try a high resolution mod that I've found so far to be compatible with LSH2015 is http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215433 (Ahnenerbe's 1920x1080 widescreen mod.) I've replaced the OLC mod GUI with it, even though I actually love the OLC GUI, for the resolution increase.

Also, if you're brave and have an abundance of patience, play with manual targeting. It's much more rewarding to compute solutions yourself than to have them handed to you and both the OLC GUI and the widescreen GUI are setup for successful manual attacks (OLC is a little better in this regard) - in my opinion. If you start off with manual TDC, expect some frustrations, be willing to analyze what went wrong with your last shot(s), and try again. Learning to ride, so to speak, without the training wheels (again this is my opinion) will set you up for a more immersive adventure. Especially when there can be much time spent without enemy contact, having more to do in those moments makes them even richer.

Also, one of the nice things about the UI mods, is you can usually swap them in and out without much heartache. Usually.

Also, if you haven't removed GWX yet, just copy the directory to another location before uninstalling so you have a working copy of it for the next time you want to try it. I think many of us have tried and played multiple mods. There's even an application called MultiSH3 that helps you keep multiple installs side by side with separated saves. Also (there's a lot of also's lol) next time you install, copy the clean installation to another folder, which will save you time later on if a mod fails to install correctly, you want to try another mod, etc.

Welcome to the addictive world of SH3. None of us ever really quits playing it, we just go on vacation. lol
siege00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 06:41 PM   #17
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi Alfa
It is not advisable to add any mods other than those that come with the mega mod.
The default 'wide screen' mod will give you a manual targeting solution icon as well as the identify icon from your WE officer.
The 'OLC wide screen' mod does not give you the solution icon only the identify icon.
As you are starting out it useful when you do your own solutions to then use the solutions icon and you can then compare how accurate you were.
Neither of these versions offer you a separate stopwatch though, so if you want to take manual target speeds from the map you will need a separate timing device.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new captain introduction, questions