SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-12, 12:06 PM   #256
drEaPer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The idea seems to be that you get people to play by offering the incomplete, unfinishable game to the public in the sure knowledge that a certain number will become addicted and pay the price just so they can keep playing.

Yep, and before it just had a different naming: Demo, Trial, Shareware with restricted access to content and functions.

Unlike World of Warcraft, Eve Online etc. you do not have to pay 60 bucks after a 14day trial and transfer 15 bucks a month to continue playing.

That is really bad, I see...

Quote:
Sounds like a scam to me. No, more like a drug dealer.
You can get alcohol if you want it. It is your decision if you consume it.

Your logic: Games should not be fun, when there is paycontent in it, as fun games can be addictive.
Ban World of Warcraft.
Ban arcade game halls.
Ban poker.
Ban las vegas. Its the biggest drug dealer in the world.

Quote:
A long time ago there was a cartoon strip called The Wizard Of Id. One of the characters once paraphrased Abraham Lincoln, saying "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and that's enough for a good lawyer to make a living."
Blizzard fools over 10 Mio people. They are probably all braindead zombies. I was one of them. And I enjoyed my zombie time. It was a good game, until I got bored and quit. Maybe I am just too drug resistent?

Playing a subscription based game for half a year:

Initial cost: ~60 $, Subscription cost: 15x6 = 90$
-> 150 $

Invest 150 $ in the core unlocks of a western (non asian grinder) F2P and you will have probably unlocked all of the permanent important stuff that you need to fully enjoy the game and even retain some money for those "consumable" things like potions or XP boosts.

Conclusion: You are a doomsayer.
drEaPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 01:50 PM   #257
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
Given your attitude, consumers should not have complained over the problems surrounding Ford Pintos either. :nope
Because when you buy a car you don't sign a damn license agreement that releases the manufacturer of any responsibility if the car is faulty. Seriously, can you try to strawman any harder?
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 02:00 PM   #258
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Seriously, can you try to strawman any harder?
What do you think you have been doing the entire time your weasel-worded argument has supported the gaming companies, hypocrite?

I rest my case.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 02:07 PM   #259
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Whatever, man. It's obvious that you have your beliefs firmly entrenched and are unwilling to look at things with an open mind, so the discussion is moot.
Old 05-10-12, 03:37 PM   #260
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Let us not resort to name calling please.....disagreeing and discussing each others differences is fine but name calling and insults will not be tolerated.

I thank every contributor in advance for their cooperation.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 11:23 PM   #261
JohnnyMacintosh
Watch

Downloads: 62

Sad face.... I was hoping for something more when it came to the next game in the series......

SH3 has GWX but poor graphics, SH4 has nicer graphics but a lesser array of mods, and SH5 was shot in the knee before it ever got out of the gate...

Cant we just have a game thats like GWX with the graphics of SH5 with proper interiors and more than just a skeleton crew?

Oh well... thats the end of my rant.
JohnnyMacintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 01:00 AM   #262
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by drEaPer View Post
Conclusion: You are a doomsayer.
Not at all. All I'm saying is if you have to pay to get the fullest benefit, then no matter how you twist it it's not really free.
Old 05-11-12, 04:50 AM   #263
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Not at all. All I'm saying is if you have to pay to get the fullest benefit, then no matter how you twist it it's not really free.
This is true.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 08:43 AM   #264
drEaPer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 0

Quote:
So its not a drug, thats a step forward.

Also: What you say is true and the case for all commercially
developed games.

So after back and forth, I think we can come to the agreement, that F2P should be called F2T =Free 2 Test/Try. Like a demo with largely reduced scope.
drEaPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 08:52 AM   #265
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by drEaPer View Post
Also: What you say is true and the case for all commercially
developed games.
But they rarely tell you it's free.

Quote:
So after back and forth, I think we can come to the agreement, that F2P should be called F2T =Free 2 Test/Try. Like a demo with largely reduced scope.
So you admit it's not free. That's a step forward for you.
Old 05-11-12, 10:37 AM   #266
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Free to play really is a farce. Actually, i take that back, its marketing genius. Some free to play models are better then others. I personally never tried Free 2 play until:

a.) Age of Conan
This F2P model acted more like an extended trial. Certain features were limited that really aids character progression. For example, in this game, certain areas are needed to progress your character - they happen to be premium only. So you have road blocks set up, that either slow you down, or make it agonizing to play without subscribing. This F2P model is very easy to see through. There's no microtransactions, your just deliberately road blocked at certain key areas. It is in effect an extended trial. You cannot progress at certain key points without subscribing.

b.) Lord of the Rings Online
This model, consists of microtransactions. The game doesnt force via road blocks you can't get around without subscribing, instead you buy access to the area via turbine points. These points are sold in lots that come out to like 5, 10, 20, or 50 US dollars or something like that. If something costs 100 turbine points to access, you have to buy like 500 turbine points, being the lowest increment of points you can buy (or something like that).

Long story short with LOTR, they nickel and dime you via turbine points. Need more backback space? That'll cost you. Want access to certain skills? That'll cost you. They charge via small amounts of turbine pionts, id even say each transaction is a pittance. So it doesn't seem like your spending lots of cash - until you start adding it all up. Over the course of 3 months before i got bored and quit, i had spent the cash equivlant of 6 months premium subscripton in microtransactions. So they got twice the money out of me, for the same time period. Considering i'm stingy with my money, that is absolute genius on their part!

Free 2 play is not free.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 10:59 AM   #267
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

It was never supposed to be free. Like I stated in the other thread, I worked as a developer on a title that made the transition from traditional pay-to-play to free-to-play precisely because it was found that F2P is orders of magnitude more profitable in the long run. Instead of relying on sales you basically get a consistent income and you can stimulate ingame purchases by introducing "new" items that basically take a day or two to implement. While I totally agree that this way of basically reducing the customer to what amounts to a wallet on legs from which you seek to extract money is rather nauseating, you can't really fault corporations for moving to a more profitable businessmodel when their entire reason for existing is to be profitable to their share owners.
Old 05-11-12, 11:04 AM   #268
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

My main beef with "Free 2 play", is that the name used to describe this sales model, is deceptive and misleading. I'd even go as far as to say it is false advertisement.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 12:40 PM   #269
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Well, it is free in the sense that you can download the product and play it for free, as opposed to the traditional model where you buy a disc or download and pay up front.

It's funny how the first proto-MMO's like Warbirds and Aces High were free to download and play offline and only required a paid subscription to play online. If this new SH game used that model I don't think anyone would have complained at all.
Old 05-11-12, 06:00 PM   #270
7thSeal
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeldorKatarn View Post
Guys, you should really learn the difference between publishers and developers. Ubisoft is just paying for this, they are not developing it.
Money is developing it, any way you look at it. Developers respond to those paying them. It doesn't matter how you slice it... money is the knife. Money is spent looking for a quick turn around nowadays. Quality is actually frowned upon as it cost more money for the corporate.
7thSeal is offline   Reply With Quote