Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-10, 04:57 AM   #1
GMU
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Compatibilities, Compatibilities, Compatibilities..

Folks, I wonder when will the individual modders would stop pulling the string each to his side and would start cooperating to solve the problems of incompatibilities between mods ? I understand the mind of modder - each one struggles to make something better than one made it already previously. But seeing let's say ~5 versions of mods that slightly changes the look of one and only stuff is ridiculous. Or when one mod already includes partial already existing feature from another mod is also bad. Freedom of choice works without issues when you actually can choose without being forced to use one or another mod that does not make CTDs or weird behavour/looks of modded stuff.

Old 07-15-10, 06:45 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You say that you understand the mind of the modder, but the rest of your post indicates that you do not.

Most modders start out as regular players who either see something they thing could be better or have an idea they would like to see implemented. They know nothing of how things work, but they go at it and they learn how to do the things they want done.

This means that they make the mods they want, not the ones we want. Some of them just like to mod, and do offer to try to do what people request, but the only criterion is their own desire to do something that appeals to them.

This also means that criticizing the lack of diversity you think you see might make them less responsive, not more. The best reply I can think of is, why don't you decide what you want to see done and start learning how to do it, instead of insisting that creative people do things your way?
Old 07-15-10, 08:17 AM   #3
GMU
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Are you always like that tattling around and missing the point ? All I ever stated about was incompatibilities between mods! Not a word from me as if I don't like the way moders make their mods or somethin. Problem is that if you find two good mods but they are not compatible between each other then it is a big sucker cuz you are forced to choose one of them. To be outspoken in one's critisism about a lack of cooperation between some moders to narrow quantity of incomatibilities is not a bad thing to talk about as you're probably keen to interpret this your own way. And no I don;t want to start becoming modder myself because I will deffinetly lose the excitement of play.

Old 07-15-10, 10:01 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Maybe it's a misunderstanding because of language problems. If so, I apologize.

What you said was:

Quote:
Folks, I wonder when will the individual modders would stop pulling the string each to his side and would start cooperating to solve the problems of incompatibilities between mods ?
You addressed the general population here, not the modders themselves. It sounds like you're trying to get people to agree with you that the modders should not make the mods they want to, but spend their time making their mods compatible just for you.

Quote:
I understand the mind of modder - each one struggles to make something better than one made it already previously.
Can you show where that is true?

Quote:
But seeing let's say ~5 versions of mods that slightly changes the look of one and only stuff is ridiculous.
Which modders are doing that?

Quote:
Or when one mod already includes partial already existing feature from another mod is also bad.
Which mods do that?

Quote:
Freedom of choice works without issues when you actually can choose without being forced to use one or another mod that does not make CTDs or weird behavour/looks of modded stuff.
Modders make mods. They can make their mods compatible with others if they feel like it. You could have requested compatability between certain mods, but instead you said that what they're doing is "ridiculous", and "bad", and you cited "freedom of choice". You have the freedom to choose not to use mods that don't work together, and the freedom to ask politely if someone would fix certain compatibility issues.

If the modders were working together as a team, then they would have testers whose sole job was to point out conflicts and problems. But they're not. They work alone on what they want to work on.

In my opinion what you should have done was ask if anyone could make 'X' mod work with 'Y' mod, "please". You might have gotten a better response that way.
Old 07-15-10, 10:07 AM   #5
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

I'll also add that with JSGME activating and then deactivating mods is a breeze. So it's not really hard to choose the mods that work together.
Old 07-15-10, 10:13 AM   #6
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
Or when one mod already includes partial already existing feature from another mod is also bad.
What do you mean by this statement, how could including and perhaps IMPROVING on another person's work be bad. If someone wishes to make a mod, and part of what they want done has already been done by someone else, why not save the time of redoing it?

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
Old 07-15-10, 03:24 PM   #7
lostsm
Sailor man

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
I understand the mind of modder - each one struggles to make something better than one made it already previously.
why is this line of thought found everywhere with games? in other words you're just saying people mod to get famous on a internet forum
Old 07-15-10, 03:33 PM   #8
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsm View Post
why is this line of thought found everywhere with games? in other words you're just saying people mod to get famous on a internet forum
I do it to get the ladieeeeeeez . It hasn't worked yet though .
Old 07-15-10, 03:37 PM   #9
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Poor OP.

Old 07-15-10, 03:49 PM   #10
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post

Old 07-15-10, 04:27 PM   #11
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisgeis View Post
i do it to get the ladieeeeeeez . It hasn't worked yet though .
Be more aggressive
Old 07-15-10, 05:18 PM   #12
lostsm
Sailor man

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
use more flowers and pink stuff
Old 07-15-10, 05:35 PM   #13
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsm View Post
use more flowers and pink stuff
That's it! I will make a ladies man interior mod.

Old 07-15-10, 05:52 PM   #14
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
That's it! I will make a ladies man interior mod.
With a round turntable bed and satin sheets?
Old 07-15-10, 06:02 PM   #15
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Most modders start out as regular players who either see something they thing could be better or have an idea they would like to see implemented. They know nothing of how things work, but they go at it and they learn how to do the things they want done.

This means that they make the mods they want, not the ones we want. Some of them just like to mod, and do offer to try to do what people request, but the only criterion is their own desire to do something that appeals to them.
This.
Closed Thread