SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-10, 09:54 PM   #16
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

Aaaahhh! Now I see it!! Yes, it's a flaw!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-10, 10:20 PM   #17
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

And an extremely minor one at that. With so much else to work on with this game, someone has to zero in, focus, and start a new thread about an object clipping through a flagpole and wire? Really? Seriously?!

I know! Let's use up some system resources by festooning the submarine and weapon models with umpteen hundred collision sphere's to fix these minor clipping issues! It may bring the game's performance down to a crawl, and burn up manhours that could be better used elsewhere, but hey this is important!
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 04:18 AM   #18
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Hmmm, I just had an idea to cosmetically fix the underwater crew bug. Now, if I can find the motivation and the time to do it...
Old 07-09-10, 07:03 AM   #19
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541

itsy bitsy things can be overlooked, look guys you've all come together to have fun with this sim and you've put together the finest of the worlds diesel subs and warships for us to enjoy and i for one am very grateful

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 09:40 AM   #20
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Only been playing SHIV for 4 months. Best sim I've played. I don't look for flaws, just enjoying the play. Just started with TMO 2.0. Wow! Thank you Ducimus.
Old 07-09-10, 12:50 PM   #21
ancient46
Officer

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 1

I must have missed that day at sub school. I thought the guns were decorations, vestigial parts to appease the surface admirals notion of what a ship should be. I never thought you could use them.

Since I use torpedoes on ships, I never use the guns and never spend any renown on upgrades. When I see planes my reaction is to dive, not do battle with a popgun. When I see ships I think torpedoes and big explosions, not tiny gun and tiny explosions. Attacking armed ships with guns is suicide. They never miss and you can't hit them enough to matter.

Thankfully the modern navy has reduced the drag on subs and have eliminated guns and their platforms.
ancient46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-10, 06:05 PM   #22
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient46 View Post
I must have missed that day at sub school. I thought the guns were decorations, vestigial parts to appease the surface admirals notion of what a ship should be. I never thought you could use them.

Since I use torpedoes on ships, I never use the guns and never spend any renown on upgrades. When I see planes my reaction is to dive, not do battle with a popgun. When I see ships I think torpedoes and big explosions, not tiny gun and tiny explosions. Attacking armed ships with guns is suicide. They never miss and you can't hit them enough to matter.

Thankfully the modern navy has reduced the drag on subs and have eliminated guns and their platforms.
Yes,
it is suicide, I just take on sampans and fishing vessel with my AA gun? Why can't we reprogram the AI to sink Sampans and Fishing vessels with the AA gun when in fact they did in the real war?
It would be nice if they could do that. A 40mm bofors is extremely powerful against a sampan and sinks it in 6 shots. I know, I sank one with a 40mm bofors once.

They do a nice job against merchant ships, though.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 08:34 PM   #23
green_abobo
Sparky

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
The stuck planes is caused by surfacing with TC higher than 1... afaik

forgive my ignorance,but since we on the subject of nit-picking it, what is implied by TC? thanks for clarifying. i'm starring at it and it's not "sinking' in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral8Q View Post
The submerged crew bug is prevented by not hitting alt-tab while in game.
let us not forget the silent running not working either as a direct result of the aforementioned.

green_abobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-10, 09:06 PM   #24
rein1705
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 541

well if were nit picking i just want to confess that i've always had the urge to sock my Officer Of the Deck for eyeballing me every time im in the control room. It's just creepy.

"Diesel Pig"

Not so long ago...
rein1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 12:12 AM   #25
WarlordATF
Frogman

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_abobo View Post
forgive my ignorance,but since we on the subject of nit-picking it, what is implied by TC? thanks for clarifying. i'm starring at it and it's not "sinking' in.
TC = Time Compression. I have also gotten the Jammed Planes bug from loading a save that was made while submerged.
Old 07-11-10, 06:03 PM   #26
Admiral8Q
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein1705 View Post
well if were nit picking i just want to confess that i've always had the urge to sock my Officer Of the Deck for eyeballing me every time im in the control room. It's just creepy.
Mwahahahahahaha!!!

Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-10, 06:59 PM   #27
WhiteKnight77
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
I noticed the clipping of the AA gun myself earlier today. What made me laugh was after I finally returned to Pearl from a 3 month long cruise to Japan and Iwo (refit at Midway), I start running the entrance to Pearl and find this.

I have no idea what they were running from to end up that high on the beach.

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion
WhiteKnight77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 10:34 AM   #28
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

I have a bug - well, it bugs me. The PAC or Fox news items, admittedly a bit tongue in cheek and I suspect strongly that they are not genuine BUT.....

The RAF today bombed XXXX and actually HIT something.

Can I just tell you submariners out there of all nationalities that the RAF were quite accurate, it was the USAAF that carpet bombed areas in the HOPE of hitting something, a practice they carried over to Korea and Vietnam. The RAF had a very efficient pathfinder force that illuminated our targets for us with low level incendiaries, not carpet bombs from 40,000 feet!!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 11:10 AM   #29
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Can I just tell you submariners out there of all nationalities that the RAF were quite accurate, it was the USAAF that carpet bombed areas in the HOPE of hitting something, a practice they carried over to Korea and Vietnam. The RAF had a very efficient pathfinder force that illuminated our targets for us with low level incendiaries, not carpet bombs from 40,000 feet!!!
You can tell us that, but you'll be way off base. First, US carpet bombing was carried out over Japan, but not over Europe, and US carpet bombing of Tokyo was carried out at 7000 feet or less, and at night, and was every bit as "accurate" as RAF night bombing.

US day bombing over Europe was not carpet bombing, but precision bombing of a single target. I'll agree that our "precision" bombing was not very precise, because they defined the target as a single factory and 64 planes dropping at once have a problem hitting anything that precisely. Also the altitude was 25,000 feet. While some fighters could reach 40,000 feet, a fully loaded bomber of that era never could.

On the other hand, RAF night-bombing was carried out at lower altitudes, and the target was defined as "within the city limits", as it had to be when bombing at night. It's hard to miss a whole city.
Old 07-13-10, 11:13 AM   #30
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein1705 View Post
Nisgeis fixed that more than a year ago.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149948

Tags
40mm, aaa, barrel, bofors, gun