SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-16, 01:01 AM   #1
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453
Uploads: 0

Default Ubuntu on Windows 10

According to sources at Canonical, Ubuntu Linux's parent company, and Microsoft, you'll soon be able to run Ubuntu on Windows 10.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...to-windows-10/

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 06:50 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

You've always been able to run Ubuntu on Windows since the XP days with WUBI, a Windows installer which has been on every installation copy of Ubuntu since 2008. It installs Linux as just another program running in Windows. You get none of the security advantages of Linux, it slows down Linux so you would think it was slower than Windows when actually it is more than twice as fast.

They are just defanging Windows enough here that it will tolerate another operating system. Probably an anti-trust move more than anything and I'm not happy that Canonical went for it. Windows needs to be attacked, not coddled and encouraged in its monopolistic jihad.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-30-16 at 04:04 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-16, 12:01 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Where Microsoft tries to get into touch with Linux, only disaster for Linux can follow. I wish the Linux would go to lightspeed whenever the see ;Microsoft approaching on the horizon. I have zero sympathy for MS and Linux trying to "cooperate". Microsoft will not let this opportunity pass by unused in a bid for trying to corrupt Linux.The only winning move for Linux is to not play with Microsoft at all.
Old 03-31-16, 08:03 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

To be absolutely fair, WUBI in 2008 was my first foray into investigating Linux with Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. Yikes! What an unfinished work that was. But you could see the potential and I've been a fan ever since. It also began my fascination with the Konquerer web/file browser. It's also a Swiss army knife for opening just about any file on earth. It's precisely the kind of project that would never come our of Microsoft and demonstrates the superiority of the Linux community.

WUBI led me to a true Linux installation. I don't think I'm alone there.
Old 03-31-16, 06:03 PM   #5
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

"Even Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth, who has battled Microsoft forever, was stoked. Shuttleworth said: "The native availability of a full Ubuntu environment on Windows, without virtualization or emulation, is a milestone that defies convention.""

http://="http://www.zdnet.com/articl...n-hell/"<br />

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-16, 08:01 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
"Even Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth, who has battled Microsoft forever, was stoked. Shuttleworth said: "The native availability of a full Ubuntu environment on Windows, without virtualization or emulation, is a milestone that defies convention.""

="http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-cozies-up-to-ubuntu-as-developers-welcome-cold-day-in-hell/"
That is a most curious quote, as WUBI has been doing just that for nine years! Wonder what's got into that man?

WUBI even has a transparent mode where Ubuntu and Windows appear to run on the same desktop and you don't care whether an application belongs to Windows or Linux. WUBI does slow Linux down about to the extent that a virtual machine does, but you can cut and paste between Linux and Windows programs even. It's pretty darned good, but it wakes up curiosity to see how Linux runs wide open and you end up installing Ubuntu by itself so it's not safely held in the slowing arms of Windows.

WUBI is on every Ubuntu installation disk as a primary option that you MUST see, not buried in some little seen sub-menu.

So what Shuttleworth must be smoking is really interesting.