SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-17, 02:36 PM   #1
goldfish716
Sailor man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Thanks for the offer I'll see what I can do. I never thought about the rudder. I may be incorrect on this (and please correct me if I am) by my main reason for not doing the bow-mounted fins is that they were dispensed with by 1968. For most if not all (few exceptions being the Thresher, the 688 VLS and the hypotheticals) they fit either the 1968 or 1984 timeline.
I have no idea of the year. I just saw they were built with them, and later changed. I did it for the fun of changing it.

As for textures, I think all the Russian textures are interchangeable for the most part. You can use Delta IV for black with red bottom. Can use alpha for grey, or Ocsar for dark grey. Some are better matches than others.

You can monitor each change in the unit reference without reloading the game. Just arrow away, then back to the boat in question.

I don't know of a way to do anything lighter than the black we use with the Barbel though. I can do blue and purple... lol.
goldfish716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-17, 06:18 AM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish716 View Post
I have no idea of the year. I just saw they were built with them, and later changed. I did it for the fun of changing it.

As for textures, I think all the Russian textures are interchangeable for the most part. You can use Delta IV for black with red bottom. Can use alpha for grey, or Ocsar for dark grey. Some are better matches than others.

You can monitor each change in the unit reference without reloading the game. Just arrow away, then back to the boat in question.

I don't know of a way to do anything lighter than the black we use with the Barbel though. I can do blue and purple... lol.
Not having much luck with getting the textures to work, but yeah the blue might be worth a try if its dark enough.

You're on point with the Permit-style rudder for the Barbel as well, that does more resemble how they looked. I didn't notice but did you also have the dive-planes pushed up to near the front of the sail?
Old 07-23-17, 05:00 PM   #3
goldfish716
Sailor man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

I had the dive planes on the bow for the early model. I didn't touch them for the 84 model.

I haven't found a use for the blue and purple yet. They are from the environment folder:

"environment/sky/Day_Clear"

and others like that. You can see clouds in some of them. I will let you know if I find anything that might be useful.

Also you can use "terrain/sand" for a sandy color, but haven't seen much use for that yet either.
goldfish716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-17, 03:06 PM   #4
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish716 View Post
I had the dive planes on the bow for the early model. I didn't touch them for the 84 model.

I haven't found a use for the blue and purple yet. They are from the environment folder:

"environment/sky/Day_Clear"

and others like that. You can see clouds in some of them. I will let you know if I find anything that might be useful.

Also you can use "terrain/sand" for a sandy color, but haven't seen much use for that yet either.
Had some better results, you should like the next update
"environment/sky/Night_Overcast" is a good one, hull is a little on the dark blue side but it can work. How do I get into the "texture folder" because I'm thinking the texture for smoke may be worth a try.
Old 07-27-17, 07:23 AM   #5
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

So another new update is in the works. After sitting down and thinking about it, I decided to create the "41 for Freedom" SSBNs, so that means we're looking at the George Washington (sadly using the Skipjack model but in both SSBN and SSN variations) Ethan Allen (already created the SSN and SSGN variations) Lafayette (68 and 84 also includes the James Madison class) and Ben Franklin (68 and 84).

None of these have ballistic missiles because I'm not even sure if that can be done and even if it could be the game-play value would be nearly non-existent. Also I don't plan on putting any of the SSBNs in the campaign files because, frankly they don't make sense in that role (strategic asses are not going to be used to fight the war, unless they get the launch order to flatten Russia) but they could make for some fun single missions / evasion.

Also I'm toying with yet another hypothetical design, the FAS (Future Attack Submarine) SSN. Due to cost-overruns during the 1970s there was a concerted effort to develop a more affordable alternative to the Los Angeles class.

Also adding new weapons
UUM-44B SUBROC- Non nuclear Mk44 carrying stand off weapon. The Mk 44 is about as good as the Mk 37 aim your shots carefully and don't count on them to work miracles.

UUM-84 Tarpon- Hypothetical ASW weapon which was based off the AGM/UGM/RGM-84 and carrying a Mk 46 torpedo

Mk 44 torpedo
Mk 46 Mod 5 torpedo.
Old 07-31-17, 01:31 PM   #6
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

MOD UPDATE
new release on page 1