SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-08, 04:19 PM   #10
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Some of these require greater minds than mine to answer but here goes

1 find grid AL22 divide it into nine grids, the bottom right one is al229 repeat the process for that grid and the bottom right one is AL2299. there's a graphic out there on the forum in several threads that explains it visually, and probably also in the GWX manual. which leads me to:

1a RTFM! believe me, it's worth it and answers some of your questions in excuciating detail.

2 ah yes, but a sub ubgrade costs renown, see? therefore buying a bigger boat got you demoted back to Leutnant zS, because rank is based on your current renown not renown earned over time. It's a stock thing...

3 Dunno, never used it....

4 Longitude/latitude as far as I know are only used for contact reports that are outside the Kriegsmarine Grid map, and those show as marks. They're also used for GWX radio messages that refer to historical events but not to actual ships at that spot (mostly) they're for flavor

5 if you promote them or give them medals that gets them renown, not sure what else it does though, maybe nothing

6 When they reach their destination they disappear, go loiter off Liverpool sometime, wait for a convoy to appear and follow, you'll see it disappear into thin air... it's the only workable way to do it.
as to ships sunk by weather, yes this happens when you stay near a convoy for a long time in bad weather. This I consider to be very realistic because ships did get lost due to weather, especially since some of them were rusty hulks from the 1890s held together with spit and rubber bands and a lot of hope....

7 Ummm... I think it's based on random chance, the weather has X% chance of changing in one of the variables, clouds, rain, wind speed and direction over Y amount of time. and I think some of nthose variables are linked, but this could be answered by someone with more insight of the workings of the game.
Personally I have never entirely understood the weather in SH3, and I fear I never will, just hate it and live with it would be my advice

8 They're greyed out because your boat does not have any radar installed, once you do get radar they'll become active, same for the deckgun ina type II
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote