SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-12, 06:00 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default PC boot failure: black screen, one long three short beeps

Hi,

my system did not boot when I switched it on this evening, after the football match. Or maybe it does, it is hard to tell, but the screen remains black, the screen's power LED remains yellow instead going blue (blue=normal opperation, active).

What happens is that I get a beep code:

Beeeeeep beep beep beep (1 long, 3 short).

Some seconds later the harddrive starts working, and it could be that it is booting and loading Windows indeed, but I cannot verify that, sine the screen is dead. There is HD activity. All fans (CPU, power, gfx board) are running.

My mainboard is an Asus P8H67. There is a memory switch with a red LED in the right upper corner. When switching power on, the red LED goes on for a second, then goes off. i think that indicates that the memory check was successfull and showed ni mistakes. Is that correct? Then I can rule out the RAM bars (4x2GB).

I tend to think the graphics board is off into Nirvana. I cannot check it out, since my old system from which I am typing this, is an AGP-equipped mainboard, I cannot switch the boards therefore, the new system is PCI, of course.

Graphics board was a Gainward GTX460 1GB.

Any ideas? What do you think about my theory that it is the graphics board? Money is in short supply, I do not want to buy a new gfx card if I am not really needing one.

Could it be the mainboard itself that is broken?