SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-11, 04:10 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Partitions

A gospel for some, not even a second thought for others. However, with HDs in the terabyte range now, I think it is even more a good idea to keep a little structure on your HD.

You can do it by folders. But you cannot defragmentise individual folders.

I learned from XP that Windows is best kept alone, so I want to give it an individual partition, the first one on the HD. 100 GB

Swap files can fragmentise, but there is no tool I know of that can defrag swap files. But if you have them on a separate partition, you can occasionaly format that one. make it twice the size of the maximum possible mepory (if I should ever upgrade to 16 GB RAM ). 40 GB for the swapfile on the second partition.

The next one should be all applications and games, plus data files: pics, texts, projects, save games, downloads, archives. This obviously will be the biggest partition, close to 800 GB. - Is it a good idea to keep data and applications of two different partitions? Currently I do, but I failed to see a benefit from it.

Next, the Flight Simulator with 80 GB. Ypou do not necessarily want those huge databases I use being included in every defragmentation routine (occasionally XP started to reshuffle those multiple dozens of sorted GB just for npothing and althoigh they had not been used, which then turned the defragmentation from a seconds- and minute-business into an hour-business).

Finally, a small 10 GB chess partition, because the database interferes with the system restoration function, so that it can be switched off for just the chess database (else the database gets rewritten every time you reboot or end Windows.

Good ideas? Bad ideas? Comments welcome. For example I read that some people recommend never to put Windows and applications and data on different partitions under Win7.